this is NOT!!! a verizon problem my friend. this is a RIM problem, 100% RIM. i have a Droid as well as a blackberry and my droid internet and service is completely fine although my 8830 world edition browser and bbm is all jacked up. and my tmobile 9700 is jacked up as well. dont try and blame the carrier its RIMS problem i promise you.
    12-22-09 11:04 PM
    Nope, Ping requests are timing out. This one's all on Verizon. It's their 3G data service that has gone belly up and it's still out. Either over-saturated or they killed it. I'm sitting in the Data Center for a major railroad right now. Our BES is impacted but so is the stuff you'd normally expect to work via carrier-only. And it's not a signal strength issue, we have both AT&T and Verizon amplifiers in the building and I normally have 5 bars pegged in here, still do actually, but 1XEV is gone. The AT&T users are winning this round unless they have a BB that is.
    Aha, or are you saying the address won't ping but DNS will resolve as proof of concept?
    Addresses will ping dinglenuts. Turn OFF your Firewall if you have it on and then ping 4.2.2.1 or w w w. yahoo .com and it'll ping. If you're on 1xev you've lost BB data, not carrier data dum dum. 50 billion people out there right now surfing the web via OperaMini or Bolt on their BB and you think they're all wrong?
    12-22-09 11:07 PM
    this is NOT!!! a verizon problem my friend. this is a RIM problem, 100% RIM. i have a Droid as well as a blackberry and my droid internet and service is completely fine although my 8830 world edition browser and bbm is all jacked up. and my tmobile 9700 is jacked up as well. dont try and blame the carrier its RIMS problem i promise you.
    Thank you... geeze, some people...
    12-22-09 11:08 PM
    Thank you... geeze, some people...
    for some reason the fanboys on here want to turn the blind eye and not put RIM at fault.
    12-22-09 11:13 PM
    Nope, not saying that, no Firewall enabled. No ping sender responses. No Opera Mini working for going on 3 hours. And I'm not a n00b either. I know a Verizon problem when I see one. Maybe it is restricted to my local area but my phone is set up correctly and was web-connected, even with RIM's problems, earlier. Nothing has changed except for the lost data functionality right now FROM VERIZON!
    12-22-09 11:14 PM
    Nope, not saying that, no Firewall enabled. No ping sender responses. No Opera Mini working for going on 3 hours. And I'm not a n00b either. I know a Verizon problem when I see one. Maybe it is restricted to my local area but my phone is set up correctly and was web-connected, even with RIM's problems, earlier. Nothing has changed except for the lost data functionality right now FROM VERIZON!
    Flip your data connection off and on a few times or battery pull. Obviously that won't affect your BB data, but if your radio got stuck in wacko land, then it could be causing you problems. If you get an IP handed to you after a reboot, your carrier data should work. You could be having localized issues, but the truth remains... what everyone else is experiencing is MOST DEFINITELY just a RIM issue.

Heck, it might not even be a NOC issue, could be a piece of fiber someone cut, who know... we won't, because RIM doesn't comment on what causes these outages. SOMETHING THAT THEY SHOULD DO!!!
    12-22-09 11:21 PM
    Yep, I totally understand about how wide-spread RIM's problem grew from earlier this afternoon until now.

The following thread is going strong right now. Many Verizon users with a variety of devices all lost 3G coverage in the last few hours as others talk about how socket-connect apps are still working for them on other carriers.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/bl...s-fine-390889/

And, I should have mentioned, I toggled my radio off/on and did a battery pull. My local Verizon network is in the toilet right along with RIM sad to say.
    12-22-09 11:27 PM
    And I'm with you all the way ... some kind of information release letting their customers know what is happening is better than lowering the "Cone of Silence" ... Didn't work for Maxwell Smart, still doesn't ...
    12-22-09 11:29 PM
    Have you tried to ping 4.2.2.1 yet? If DNS Lookups work after a battery pull, but a ping doesn't, that doesn't make any sense. No local DNS caches should be happening and for a lookup to work, but ping not to is rather weird (if the server or ip you're pinging is pingable that is).
    12-22-09 11:33 PM
    3G service came back on all by itself here. Just happened to check my phone a few minutes after midnight CST and 1XEV is there in all its glory. Opera and other apps working again. I think Verizon may have just been over-saturated with network traffic once people realized RIM was out of the game. Now that it's bedtime for most I think things have quieted down around here.
    12-23-09 12:11 AM
    Have you tried to ping 4.2.2.1 yet? If DNS Lookups work after a battery pull, but a ping doesn't, that doesn't make any sense. No local DNS caches should be happening and for a lookup to work, but ping not to is rather weird (if the server or ip you're pinging is pingable that is).
    I had the ping sender issues before the battery pull. After the pull I still showed 1xev and I'm pretty busy at work so I didn't have any more time to screw around with it.

Our BES is impacted and the Help Desk is getting bombed with calls and even though I told them to just tell people there is a RIM outage they still keep calling me or IM'ing me asking if I have an ETR for them... <sigh> ... not to mention the calls from Infosys India started early tonight because we have been having all kinds of grief with our WebSphere Dev and Trial servers the past 2 weeks and these web developers don't make it any easier on me when they FUBAR the crap code they keep pushing to them and then expecting me to debug it when the app won't run.

I just hope RIM gets things restored by morning.
    12-23-09 12:19 AM
    Do you use a Gmail account/ and if so do you have any of your contacts on there? Then go to google.com on your BB browser tomorrow. Download Google Sync and you'll be able to gain some that way. Plus it is a good idea to back them up in the future that way. I got mine on google. On the desktop. And on the blackberry. Just in case.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-09 02:51 AM
    Seems like this turned into an interesting debate after I left.

Anyhow, I still don't have any internet icon on my phone. There is nothing. So I decided to hold the BB button and there was a link in there, but it is telling me that I currently do not have any Browser Configuration Service Book Entries. I am still completely lost.
    12-23-09 03:48 PM
    Seems like this turned into an interesting debate after I left.

Anyhow, I still don't have any internet icon on my phone. There is nothing. So I decided to hold the BB button and there was a link in there, but it is telling me that I currently do not have any Browser Configuration Service Book Entries. I am still completely lost.
    Make sure your radio is on and go to Options/Advanced/Service Books. Then Hit Menu/Register Now. After a few seconds you should see a registration message in your Messages box and all the normal Service Books will propagate to the phone and give you icons for Browser and such.
    12-23-09 03:54 PM
    Make sure your radio is on and go to Options/Advanced/Service Books. Then Hit Menu/Register Now. After a few seconds you should see a registration message in your Messages box and all the normal Service Books will propagate to the phone and give you icons for Browser and such.
    I hit menu, and the only options in the menu are Show keyboard, Switch application, and close.
    12-23-09 04:39 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD