So I went to Verizon today to see if they could fix my camera on my Storm that hasn't worked for months. I was away for the Air Force and also didn't care too much. With the holidays coming I was thinking I would like to take some pictures on a rare trip home.

So I go into the store and the girl tells me that I need to plug the phone into my computer so that it is backed up, do a security wipe of the whole phone, and everything will be fine from there. She says all my info will still be on the phone, just that the phone will basically be brand new again. So I am leave and go on my merry way to fix my BB.

Get home, connect the phone via USB and do the wipe how she showed me to. Low and behold, the phone has NOTHING. My internet, contact numbers, pictures, everything is gone. I can no longer do anything with my phone. I can't even set my personal e-mail account back up.

I am at a loss for words. I am no expert on computers or the BB for that matter. To me, it's just access to something to kill my boredom. I don't understand why they would have me do something that would make my BB become, essentially, just a phone and text messaging device. If that were all I wanted, a BB definitely not have been what I bought. Is there anyone that can help me?
    12-22-09 09:23 PM
    first thing we need to know is if you performed a back-up prior to the wipe?
    12-22-09 09:28 PM
    I have no idea. She said simply plugging in the phone to the computer would back it up. So all I did was plug it in. I feel like there has to be more to it since everything is gone.
    12-22-09 09:30 PM
    If you didn't "actually" use Desktop Manager to backup your phone and you "just plugged it in" and nothing more before wiping it, then no... your data is lost. You DIDN'T back the phone up. It doesn't just automatically back itself up just by plugging it into the PC.
    12-22-09 09:32 PM
    Do you have BB Desktop Manager on your computer?
    12-22-09 09:33 PM
    I have no idea. She said simply plugging in the phone to the computer would back it up. So all I did was plug it in. I feel like there has to be more to it since everything is gone.
    Yeah, big "Face Palm" here... sorry to tell you, but you lost everything. Also, you can't use the Internet and set your email up because there's a RIM data outage at the moment... nothing you can do but wait until it's back on.
    12-22-09 09:34 PM
    FYI....Data is working for me finally.

Do you have BB Desktop Manager installed on computer?
    12-22-09 09:36 PM
    That sucks you lost everything and thats why you should back up your phone every so often.
    12-22-09 09:40 PM
    No I do not have BBDM on my computer. I feel like an *****, but at the same time I feel like they could have given me better information.

As for internet, I don't even have a link on my phone for internet any more. The e-mail setup will only allow me to set up a business e-mail.
    12-22-09 09:43 PM
    That sucks you lost everything and thats why you should back up your phone every so often.
    Yes, well the whole point is that I thought I had backed it up by what the girl had told me. I specifically asked if all I had to do was plug it into the computer to back it up.

Thanks for all the info everyone.
    12-22-09 09:44 PM
    No I do not have BBDM on my computer. I feel like an *****, but at the same time I feel like they could have given me better information.

As for internet, I don't even have a link on my phone for internet any more. The e-mail setup will only allow me to set up a business e-mail.
    Read what I'm writing. THERE IS A BLACKBERRY DATA OUTAGE CURRENTLY... NONE OF THOSE CAPABILITIES WILL WORK ON YOUR BB UNTIL THAT GETS RESTORED. Go do something else while you wait.
    12-22-09 09:45 PM
    Read what I'm writing. THERE IS A BLACKBERRY DATA OUTAGE CURRENTLY... NONE OF THOSE CAPABILITIES WILL WORK ON YOUR BB UNTIL THAT GETS RESTORED. Go do something else while you wait.
    I read it before and understood and knew that... however I do not see what that has to do with the internet link disappearing from my phone. Thanks for being rude by the way. Completely makes you more helpful.
    12-22-09 09:49 PM
    I read it before and understood and knew that... however I do not see what that has to do with the internet link disappearing from my phone. Thanks for being rude by the way. Completely makes you more helpful.
    I'm not being rude, I'm simply trying to tell you that without RIM data you won't have those things... because they are Service Book driven. Without data to send those service books to your phone when you register with the network, the Browser icon and such will not be there.

Trust me, I know A LOT more about Blackberries then the stupid Verizon rep you spoke with today.
    12-22-09 09:51 PM
    We may be able to recover some of your info. Questions:
    1. Do you have the software disks that came with your phone? If so, you can load the DM from that. If not, you should be able to download the DM from the BB website.
    2. Do you have your phone you were using prior to the BB? If so, you can use the device switch wizard to get your phone numbers and personal info off the old phone. That will get you back up and running faster than a manual input of all your info.

That's the best I can do for you for now.
    12-22-09 09:52 PM
    I'm not being rude, I'm simply trying to tell you that without RIM data you won't have those things... because they are Service Book driven. Without data to send those service books to your phone when you register with the network, the Browser icon and such will not be there.

Trust me, I know A LOT more about Blackberries then the stupid Verizon rep you spoke with today.
    Ok, got it. I just didn't think that a service interruption would make links disappear. Thank you for explaining.
    12-22-09 09:52 PM
    Ok, got it. I just didn't think that a service interruption would make links disappear. Thank you for explaining.
    No problem. Yes, unlike other smartphones, a Blackberry is VERY dependant upon the RIM's core network. If that's not available, your BB is only good for SMS and phone calls... or basically anything that only depends upon the carrier's network to function. ALL core BB data functions cease to function.

While you wait, have a drink and chill out. Thanks for your service BTW!
    12-22-09 09:57 PM
    We may be able to recover some of your info. Questions:
    1. Do you have the software disks that came with your phone? If so, you can load the DM from that. If not, you should be able to download the DM from the BB website.
    2. Do you have your phone you were using prior to the BB? If so, you can use the device switch wizard to get your phone numbers and personal info off the old phone. That will get you back up and running faster than a manual input of all your info.

That's the best I can do for you for now.
    If the previous phone was a Blackberry and it wasn't wiped, then yes... this will work. If not, then no, it won't.

If you do have an old phone with a bunch of number and info on it, Verizon can retransfer the info again instore. Make sure you point out the ***** behind the counter caused you to lose the info in the first place... so you don't get charged for the transfer fee.
    12-22-09 10:00 PM
    Thank you for the thank you. I enjoy what I do.

Thanks again for the help. Off to bed to serve some more at 0430... ugghhhh. haha.
    12-22-09 10:00 PM
    We'll be here tomorrow when you need us. We will do our best to get you back up and running.
    12-22-09 10:02 PM
    I'm not being rude...
    Yeah, you are being rude.
    12-22-09 10:26 PM
    Yeah, you are being rude.
    STFU... that's being rude.
    12-22-09 10:31 PM
    I think the Verizon Store rep (although STILL totally clueless) assumed the OP had DM installed and would be prompted to do an auto-backup when the BB was connected. This, of course, doesn't always work as advertised. And he'd still need to back up 3rd party apps separately.

And another highlight to Verizon's day, even with RIM down I was still able to use Opera Mini for web browsing via Verizon's marvelous 3G network, that is up until about 2 hours ago when 1XEV became 1xev and has stayed that way ever since. Yeah, you got a map for that Verizon!? I am documenting every minute of this bit of nonsense and my data-plan bill better get adjusted accordingly.
    12-22-09 10:34 PM
    I think the Verizon Store rep (although STILL totally clueless) assumed the OP had DM installed and would be prompted to do an auto-backup when the BB was connected. This, of course, doesn't always work as advertised. And he'd still need to back up 3rd party apps separately.

And another highlight to Verizon's day, even with RIM down I was still able to use Opera Mini for web browsing via Verizon's marvelous 3G network, that is up until about 2 hours ago when 1XEV became 1xev and has stayed that way ever since. Yeah, you got a map for that Verizon!? I am documenting every minute of this bit of nonsense and my data-plan bill better get adjusted accordingly.
    Still a Blackberry issue unfortunately. If you had another smartphone with them, it would be working.

You know how I know this? Go to Options/Network. Hit Menu/Tool/Ping test. Ping an IP on the web and you'll get a response. If it would be a carrier issue, that wouldn't work.
    12-22-09 10:36 PM
    Still a Blackberry issue unfortunately. If you had another smartphone with them, it would be working.

You know how I know this? Go to Options/Network. Hit Menu/Tool/Ping test. Ping an IP on the web and you'll get a response. If it would be a carrier issue, that wouldn't work.
    Nope, Ping requests are timing out. This one's all on Verizon. It's their 3G data service that has gone belly up and it's still out. Either over-saturated or they killed it. I'm sitting in the Data Center for a major railroad right now. Our BES is impacted but so is the stuff you'd normally expect to work via carrier-only. And it's not a signal strength issue, we have both AT&T and Verizon amplifiers in the building and I normally have 5 bars pegged in here, still do actually, but 1XEV is gone. The AT&T users are winning this round unless they have a BB that is.
    12-22-09 10:56 PM
    Aha, or are you saying the address won't ping but DNS will resolve as proof of concept?
    12-22-09 10:59 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD