Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but here's the situation. Using my Blackberry and it shows I'm connected to a wireless router, but it doesn't always show UMA. Much of the time, it shows EDGE. So, the question is, under those circumstances, are the services per the router or my carrier? Or...must the blackberry show UMA for that it to be operating as @home?
    02-04-08 01:19 AM
    Using my Blackberry and it shows I'm connected to a wireless router, but it doesn't always show UMA. Much of the time, it shows EDGE. So, the question is, under those circumstances, are the services per the router or my carrier? Or...must the blackberry show UMA for that it to be operating as @home?
    EDGE is a carrier-only connection.

UMA and a highlighted WiFi icon mean you are connected via an Internet connection.

Because your post says "much of the time it shows EDGE," means much of the time you are not truly connected via UMA. You may wish to do more research on this to figure out why you are not consistently getting full UMA connectivity.

I have UMA profiles set up everywhere I go and am pleased (and getting more and more pleased all the time) with how this great technology works.

I have UMA profile connections at all the buildings I work in during the day. I have a UMA profile connection at my local shopping center. I have a UMA connection at my grocery store. I even have a UMA connection at my favorite lunch counter.

Everywhere I go and everywhere I set up a UMA profile means calls I make do not get subtracted from my regular TMo monthly minute allocation. So far this month (my first full month on TMo's @home service) I have cut my monthly minute useage almost in half. I'm not talking less (in fact, I'm talking more). But ALL connections I make at work are now UMA and none count against my regular plan minutes. I also have flawless connections in places where I did not before. No one in the company I work for traditionally could get cell coverage in my boss' office. His office is in the back of the building and for some reason, the cell signals seem to get lost back there. The computer room is directly next to his office and guess what? There's a router in there and I get prefect reception in his office while no one else does.

I love TMo's UMA service. For me, it's great and it just keeps getting better and better.
    02-05-08 01:11 AM
    Still having situations where I go to a place that has free wi-fi, the phone picks up and logs into the wi-fi system, but the phone still shows EDGE, and not UMA, even though it shows I'm connected to the wi-fi. Other times, at a wi-fi spot, it shows UMA.

Anyone know why?
    02-09-08 10:35 PM
    I have the same exact issue. I am connected (bright wi-fi icon) with UMA at home. However at work, I am connected (same bright wi-fi icon) with EDGE. Very frustrating trying to figure out why. I was wondering if it may be due to poor signal strength so I put the phone right on the router with no UMA still. Now I am wondering if there is not enough bandwidth to support the UMA connection. I will post back if I find anything.
    02-22-08 08:58 PM
    I have the same exact issue. I am connected (bright wi-fi icon) with UMA at home. However at work, I am connected (same bright wi-fi icon) with EDGE. Very frustrating trying to figure out why. I was wondering if it may be due to poor signal strength so I put the phone right on the router with no UMA still. Now I am wondering if there is not enough bandwidth to support the UMA connection. I will post back if I find anything.
    I have no problems whatsoever at work getting a UMA connection. Occasionally if I leave the building while on a UMA call, I lose the call while my Curve attempts to transition to TMo's cell network. TMo and the UMA wizards tell us that this is suppose to be seemless. My experience is not always seemless.

I have heard that the OS upgrade available on TMo's website makes a tremendous difference in UMA performance. I got my Curve and almost immediately upgraded the OS so I really don't have much to compare the performance I get now to because I really never used the old OS.

I can say that I am generally pleased with UMA connections I get. I just try to make sure that I don't need to get too far away from the router because as I noted, the transitions between UMA and cell towers are not always seemless and I occasionally lose calls.
    02-24-08 03:14 AM
    the only reason the transition will not be seamless is if u originally do not have cell netowrk coverage. so if u go out of range of the router, and still in the building and cannot get regular coverage, u get a dead spot and thus the call drops. i noticed that when im at school in the buildings. i have UMA, and no regular service, but once i step out of the building i lose UMA, but my bb is still tring to find t-mo towers; my call then drops.
    02-25-08 05:22 PM
    the only reason the transition will not be seamless is if u originally do not have cell netowrk coverage. so if u go out of range of the router, and still in the building and cannot get regular coverage, u get a dead spot and thus the call drops. i noticed that when im at school in the buildings. i have UMA, and no regular service, but once i step out of the building i lose UMA, but my bb is still tring to find t-mo towers; my call then drops.
    Different experience here.

Strong cell signal around my office. Lose the call when I leave the building and lose the UMA link.

Problem the other way too. I have a business partner who I usually ring up at the end of the day to review the day's business. When driving home, I occasionally stop at the grocery store. Next to the grocery store is a Starbucks. When parking and attempting to wrap up my call and run into the grocery store, I frequently lose my call. This ONLY happens in this one place. It is also the only place I sit still which is also next to a UMA connection at Starbucks. I've stopped parking close to Starbucks.

My phone's transitions between UMA and cell towers are not seemless.
    02-26-08 01:06 AM
    Where can this OS update be found on tmobiles website?
    04-03-08 10:06 PM
    You can always go to Options > Mobile Network, and set which connection preference you prefer, either wifi or mobile.
    04-03-08 10:12 PM
    i noticed that when im at school
    So i take it you text while in class? Not an sms hating teacher here, but another student. So student to student i ask you this;

Do your SMS's go over UMA too? or at least the wifi? I ask because that would be a huge pull for me, I dont even care if their free.
    04-04-08 12:06 AM
    Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but here's the situation. Using my Blackberry and it shows I'm connected to a wireless router, but it doesn't always show UMA. Much of the time, it shows EDGE. So, the question is, under those circumstances, are the services per the router or my carrier? Or...must the blackberry show UMA for that it to be operating as @home?
    For UMA (hotspot@home) to work you router's SSID must be visible. In other words it must be publicly broadcasting it's signal. You can hide you SSID and still connect to wifi but UMA won't work. I'm not sure if this is your problem but it's something everyone should know and I had to figure this out for myself. Tmo had no idea they told me to buy a new router. It's a good idea to make sure your router has the latest firmware upgrade. Tmo had me change all these router setting and it still didn't work. I have a Linsys WRT54G router and use the default settings besides the security stuff.
    Last edited by stealthgator; 04-13-08 at 07:33 AM.
    04-13-08 07:30 AM
    After I tried everything I could find, including forum searches, T-mobile support, etc., I discovered my stupid little problem which, when corrected, instantly fixed the "missing UMA icon while still showing my wireless network name" problem, allowing me to make unlimited calls without costing against my plan minutes (what a great service).

If you are still having problems and have already done all that has been advised by these good people, run the Wi-Fi Diagnostics (Manage Connections, Wi-Fi Options, Menu, Wi-Fi Diagnostics) and verify that you have a UMA section, AND that the Connection has a check next to it, not a dash. I glanced past this multiple times thinking I was connected to my home network because the home screen had showed the name of it.

If there is an error code (mine was w005.1), you might try searching it on the internet which brought me results telling me:

W005.1 - ISP error. Retry.
    Meaning: The phone is unable to establish network connectivity.
    1. Retry connecting to the network.
    2. Reboot the wireless router.

I had tried those so that didn't help me other than it occurred to me that my local IP address might need fiddling with. I had previously changed it to a static IP address because of suspected conflicts with other computers on my home network. You get there by: Manage Connections, Wi-Fi Options, Highlight/Menu/Edit the profile in question.

I checked the box next to "automatically obtain IP address and DNS" and "BOOM!" I'm unlimited! After you get back out to the home screen, it may take a few seconds to show your wireless network name, then the Wi-Fi icon goes bright, then the Edge icon eventually changes to UMA (10 seconds or so for me.)

You should see the name of your network, a bright "Wi-Fi" (not dark) icon, AND a "UMA" icon (not Edge) on your home screen. If any of these are missing, go back through these posts and check all of your settings.

I hope this helps someone. Thanks to everyone's posts that helped me get here.
    04-16-08 12:56 PM
    i have had about the same issue but i think it is with my router. i have 2 router. one is a T-mo router and one is a linksys VPN router for work. phone works fine on the T-mo router but the VPN router i show it;s connected but i don't have the UMA. i am going home to night to update my Firmware to see if that helps
    04-16-08 01:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD