I love how solid feeling and well built my ipod touch (2nd gen.) feels, due in no small part I think to the built-in battery. Granted the battery life isn't that great but for how thin the thing is it's no surprise.

After trying the Tour for a month I ended up returning it and sticking to my trusty Curve 8330. The Tour was a nice phone but the battery cover was kind of chincy and the phone in general didn't feel as tight or durable as the Curve.

The point is I think I'd really appreciate a Blackberry with a built in battery, just think of how solid/durable/sturdy it would be! Since the phone doesn't need to be wafer thin they could probably get a pretty good size unit inside (think new macbook pro). Throw 16 or even just 8 gigs of built-in memory inside and I'd be big-time interested.

I mean seriously, I know a lot of people with blackberry's for both work and personal use and nobody owns a separate battery or memory card. Obviously I don't know everyone but I do have a feeling that my experience isn't too much different from the majority of others.

Anyone else feel this way too or think they could live without a removable battery? You have to imagine with me that the memory is now built in too and the new battery gets a much longer lifespan.

Thanks!
    08-13-09 11:03 PM
    Sounds good to me, in fact it makes sense.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-09 11:07 PM
    Power users are screwed. Granted, they're a small minority of the BB population but they're vocal. When I had my 8320, the saving grace for it was having an extra battery when Pandora came out. I wish I had a second battery for my 8900 the other day when it died on me. As for media cards, RIM should use built-in flash and give you the option to add a media card. I really wish I could just throw in a 16 GB microSD card in my iPod touch for 32 GB of storage. Lack of removable storage sucks.
    08-13-09 11:12 PM
    You can't do a battery pull with a built in battery. That's why BB's rock.

The memory I agree with however

08-13-09 11:17 PM

Oh, that too. I forget about battery pulls because I never have to do them with my 8900. RIM would probably have to have a little hole that you push in with a pen to do a soft reset (battery pull) like on WM devices.
    08-13-09 11:25 PM
    Oh, that too. I forget about battery pulls because I never have to do them with my 8900. RIM would probably have to have a little hole that you push in with a pen to do a soft reset (battery pull) like on WM devices.
    Ewww!! I would hate that so much! Trying to find a thumbtack or something just to reset the device. Nahh.. I prefer a battery pull or alt + right shift + del

08-14-09 12:47 AM
    I'd rather have a user replaceable battery. RIM just needs to design a better battery door.

08-14-09 01:57 AM
    I really don't get the point of this. What is the difference between a built in battery and a battery cover you never open? Really, this makes no sense. The difference between a non removable battery and what we have now is more of a psychological thing.

If you don't want to remove the battery then don't. Easy, no?
    08-14-09 02:00 AM
    I really don't get the point of this. What is the difference between a built in battery and a battery cover you never open? Really, this makes no sense. The difference between a non removable battery and what we have now is more of a psychological thing.

If you don't want to remove the battery then don't. Easy, no?
    The point the OP was trying to make was the more solid feel of something that doesn't have a removable battery cover. The big drawback though is that if the battery won't hold a charge anymore the unit is useless, unlike being able to just replace the battery on a normal device.
    08-14-09 10:13 AM
    I love my blackberry because everything is removable. Battery not holding a charge like it used to? I can just go buy a new battery and replace it. On an iPhone you would need to send it away to get repaired and be without it. Need more capacity? You can upgrade the battery on your own. Storage? Mine came with an 8GB card, if I feel I need 16GB I don't need to run out and buy a new phone, I just buy a 16GB MicroSD card and slap it in. When 32MB cards become available I can also upgrade it again!

I would hate being locked down and not have removable storage and battery. Just limits your options you have with the phone and its capabilities.

I remember at my cousins wedding I noticed someone using the same phone as me was trying to get a number off of it, but their battery had died (this was when I had a Samsung u740), so I pulled my batter out, gave it to them to get the phone going so they could get the number. They were quite grateful I lent them my battery to get their phone going, and borrowed it once again during the night when they had to make another call. Would of been impossible to do with a fixed battery like an iPhone.

If you want a company to control everything you do with the phone you can buy an iPhone, if you want to decide yourself if you want 2 batteries, extended capacity battery, replace weak batteries, or upgrade your memory, get a blackberry that lets you do what you want with your phone.
    08-14-09 10:27 AM
    The point the OP was trying to make was the more solid feel of something that doesn't have a removable battery cover. The big drawback though is that if the battery won't hold a charge anymore the unit is useless, unlike being able to just replace the battery on a normal device.
    Yes, limiting options is definitely a high price to pay for a "more solid feel." I like options, and anyway my Curve feels great. Can't put it down!
    08-14-09 11:34 AM
    I love my blackberry because everything is removable. Battery not holding a charge like it used to? I can just go buy a new battery and replace it. On an iPhone you would need to send it away to get repaired and be without it. Need more capacity? You can upgrade the battery on your own. Storage? Mine came with an 8GB card, if I feel I need 16GB I don't need to run out and buy a new phone, I just buy a 16GB MicroSD card and slap it in. When 32MB cards become available I can also upgrade it again!

I would hate being locked down and not have removable storage and battery. Just limits your options you have with the phone and its capabilities.

If you want a company to control everything you do with the phone you can buy an iPhone, if you want to decide yourself if you want 2 batteries, extended capacity battery, replace weak batteries, or upgrade your memory, get a blackberry that lets you do what you want with your phone.
    Hear, hear!
    08-14-09 11:35 AM
    That has th be purely perception. I have my BB in front of me and I'm playing with my friend's iPhone as I type this to get a good comparison.

Picking them up and putting my hands on them I wouldn't know if one had a removable cover or not unless I already knew. The cover doesn't move or flex under my fingers and the seam around it doesn't really mean anything except there is a seam.

So I have to go with the perception angle on this, there's no difference.
    08-14-09 12:30 PM
    Built in batteries would be bad. Why would I pay a huge fee to get my battery replaced when I can get one on buy.com for $6 and do it in about 20 seconds? Apple charges $90 to replace the battery in an iPod.

08-14-09 12:38 PM
    I am used to carrying an extra battery and do not think having a built in battery would be good at all. having a removable battery gives you options in my opinion and it allows you to not have to take a phone in after having the phone a long time when the battery life decreases. You can just buy a battery off Amazon, ebay, or crackberry cheaper and pop it in.

I too like that everything is removable including micro SD for storage and battery. I guess it depends on personal preference also because my tour feels solid to me.
    08-14-09 07:27 PM
    Not sure how I feel about this

08-14-09 07:39 PM

Could just use quickpull.
    08-14-09 07:39 PM
    Taking the device in if you might have a battery issue or if the battery is just starting to suck?

I'll pass on that...
    08-14-09 07:42 PM
    I carry an extra battery with me at all times as well. Definitely don't like the idea of a built-in battery
    08-14-09 07:42 PM
    A non-removable battery is a weakness, not a strength.

Why don't they just get rid of push email too??

Terrible idea.
    08-14-09 07:44 PM
    People love and rely on replaceable batteries on laptops. Considering you do a lot of the same things on a smartphone, I see no real reason against it.
    08-14-09 07:47 PM
    As someone who does a lot of travelling, having two batteries is sometimes a must when not being in one place long enough to charge up. I also use a miniature video/camera for capturing some things. Both use microSD cards, so I can swap out the card from the camera and e-mail or ftp the files without pulling out the laptop.

I also have one microSD card that just has movies on it. I swap that one in when I am travelling and want to zone out for a bit. I can put my main SD card back in whenever I need to get work info and such.

If everything was built in and inaccessible, it would make travelling a lot less efficient.
    08-14-09 08:27 PM
    I like to listen to music on my Blackberry. It is much easier to switch microSD cards than to take songs off of a device because the built-in memory is full.

I would rather just buy a new battery than send my phone out for repair if the built-in battery goes bad. New batteries are a lot cheaper than repair bills.
    08-14-09 09:30 PM
    I thought this thread would turn out this way. For the record I do not think a non removeable battery is a asset. It is a liability. I also agree with those who refer to Apples need to control all aspects of your relation with their products.

08-14-09 10:40 PM
    This is the exact reason that Apple is awesome!

There products look and feel SOLID! Not cheap and plastic feeling.

In the end you can't really compare Apple and RIM products though...They are both meant for entirely different things...
    08-14-09 11:12 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD