Why are Blackberry bringing out phones with non removable batteries ?

A few years ago, when I was looking for a new phone, pre my first Blackberry, the thing that put me off an iphone was the non removable battery.

I know many will say the batteries used in the Z30 are very long lasting....but not the same power battery in the Q5. Now, according to leaks the Z3 will be non removable too.

There are many reasons that people need to change batteries through the day, unable to charge. And how easy it is to swap battery and keep going.

My main concern though is faulty batteries, or indeed when the battery wears out. Not everyone can afford to buy a new phone every year, and not everyone is 'given' a new phone each year. Millions of people buy a phone or take out a 24 month contract which has to last at least the 24months. With a lot of use and charging, the battery starts to gradually get weaker. I bet there are most reading this who have at some point replaced a phone battery. One person I know is such a power user he carries 3 or 4 batteries around with him, swapping oyt regularly through the day.

Failure of the battery is no longer a simple 'buy off ebay and swap for a new one'. It will be the phone going off to the supplier, to be gone for a couple of weeks at least, to come back with various excuses as to why the failed battery is not under warranty, and at best, replaced with a refurbished phone. A phone out of warranty is no longer just a few pounds for a new battery.....but hundreds for a new phone.

I posted on another thread I might get another Z10 and store it till I need it. Certainly, even as nice as the other models are, I wouldn't be getting one with a sealed in battery.
    CollBERRY and Mack Gans like this.
    04-06-14 04:45 AM
    You make good points. The Z30 has ne worried these days. We shall see how this plays out. For now my Z10 is tucked away in reserve. No phone would not be acceptable. Off for repairs is bad enough. Maybe a third party will offer batteries and a tool kit at some point.

Via CB10. Bits, C000C6078 for links to science and technology posts and world news.
    afl777 and CollBERRY like this.
    04-06-14 05:13 AM
    exactly the reason I would never buy a iPhone. I have a Z10 currently and always have a charged extra battery with me. If I know I am going to be somewhere that I can't recharge, I'll also have a couple of power sticks. I can't tell yoj the number of times I've had to loan those to iPhone users.
    afl777 and Mack Gans like this.
    04-06-14 06:37 AM
    Doesn't seem to bother the iphone sales. Now thus far, my z30 battery has been flawless, lasts and lasts. The problem with removable batteries is the connection is not as reliable. You now have people shaking the crap out of their device playing flappy bird etc. Then they bash BlackBerry for random restarts. So BlackBerry never can win. However, BlackBerry does give you options. It has removable and non removable batteries.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 09:50 AM
    No issues here.
    Non Removable Batteries-img_20140406_075524.png

Sent from the phone of the Gods....Z30
    04-06-14 09:56 AM
    Doesn't seem to bother the iphone sales. Now thus far, my z30 battery has been flawless, lasts and lasts. The problem with removable batteries is the connection is not as reliable. You now have people shaking the crap out of their device playing flappy bird etc. Then they bash BlackBerry for random restarts. So BlackBerry never can win. However, BlackBerry does give you options. It has removable and non removable batteries.

Posted via CB10
    You're blaming random restarts on shaking the phone? No game out there makes you shake the phone wildly enough to cause the battery to dislodge. Flappy bird doesn't use shaking at all. The random restarts were an OS problem, or a build quality problem, not from people shaking them.
    Last edited by donnation; 04-06-14 at 10:51 AM.
    JeepBB and CollBERRY like this.
    04-06-14 09:57 AM
    The answers to the question are the same answers that lead Apple and HTC and others to make non-removable batteries:

• The internal space in the phone can be better utilized (without the contacts/mechanism for a removable battery) to either increase battery size, use non-standard-shaped batteries, or reduce the overall size of the phone.
    • The connection between the phone and battery is much more reliable.
    • A non-removable battery allows superior construction of the phone body itself (no big door/back that has to be removed)

If your battery DOES fail, it ultimately CAN be replaced. I repair phones as a side job, and I've replaced iPhone batteries before (iPhone 4 phones are getting a little old now), and on an LG. As the iPhone proved, it's not a big deal. Plus, there are lots of external chargers (i.e., extended battery packs) available today to charge fixed-battery phones, so it's really not the issue that some make it out to be.
    04-06-14 10:16 AM
    I have many nights where I thought my Z10 was on the docking charger but it had been placed incorrectly. So, in the morning the battery is dead but with the battery bundle, all I have to do is swap the battery out. If I had the Z30, I would be SOL in the morning. I like having the option and control. Simple.

Loving my Zed 10!!
    Q10Bold, afl777, CollBERRY and 1 others like this.
    04-06-14 10:36 AM
    You're blaming random restarts on shaking the phone? No game out there makes you shake the phone wildly enough to cause the battery to dislodge. Flappy bird doesn't use shaking at all. The random restarts were an OS problem, or a build quality problem, not from people shaking them.
    Well perhaps you should read the post that was a massive complaint by a poster the other day! Solution was offered to jam a pc of cardboard to tighten the connection.......poster was playing a game that shakes the phone......posters response....."thanks that worked".
    PS I have no random restarts on my z30.

Posted via CB10......
    04-06-14 02:40 PM
    Well perhaps you should read the post that was a massive complaint by a poster the other day! Solution was offered to jam a pc of cardboard to tighten the connection.......poster was playing a game that shakes the phone......posters response....."thanks that worked".
    PS I have no random restarts on my z30.

Posted via CB10......
    Ok, maybe one time that could have been a problem but not by any means a way to excuse the random restarts the phone was having. Has nothing to do with it.
    04-06-14 02:41 PM