I am currently a non blackberry user. For the last year I have been using a windows mobile (HTC Touch) and have recently upgraded to the HTC TOUCH 3g model but unfortunatly I bought it second hand from a **** off ebay and the 3g function is faulty! Gash!

Since playing around with windows mobile, I think its great but you need the stylus so much and Im getting bored. Also I hate texting on a touch screen phone!

I am really looking for something new and I am concidering forking out alot of cash for a BB.

There are 2 main features I look for in a phone. I want the phone to have a good inbuilt GPS receiver (something that I will also need a good sat nav software as I will using this to replace my tomtom in my car atm) and I also want a phone with 3g speed internet.

My main attraction was the BB Bold as it has these 2 features.I have never used a BB before. What are they like as far as apps and modding etc?
    How do they compare to windows mobiles? The one thing I loved about windows mobiles are how easy you can plug them into the USB and install so many proggies!

Any advise would be really helpful! Thanks in advance!
    09-05-09 04:33 AM
    Either the Bold or the Tour would be a good choice. Take advantage of the free trial period to see which phone and carrier works where you are. What is best for me might have very poor service in your area.

There are many GPS apps. Garmin, TeleNav, and VZNav will look the most like your car GPS, but are not free.

It is easy to add apps to a BlackBerry by USB or over-the-air. If you find a BlackBerry version of a WM app that you already own, you'll still have to purchase a new license. WM apps can't be run on a BlackBerry. You may find that an app that was free on the WM device is not free on the BlackBerry, or does not exist.

BlackBerry devices are not mod-able at the OS level in the same way WM devices are. There is no way for the user to get to the equivalent of win.ini, for example.

BlackBerry devices will look and feel very different than the WM devices you have used. Give yourself time to learn how to use it before you make a decision.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-09 06:05 AM
    Im not sure if here in the UK we have free trial periods on phones otherwise I would love to do that! That would be a great idea! I know someone with a curve so I might ask to have a go on his phone for a few hours to see how it feels using the trackball and typing emails etc. It HAS to be better than touch screen!!
    09-05-09 06:09 AM
    Im not sure if here in the UK we have free trial periods on phones
    o2 gives you this option. It's not trial as you need to sign contract and you need to pay for 18/24 months. What you can do is returning mobile and asking for different one within I THINK 14 days. Needs to be confirmed with CS...
    09-05-09 06:15 AM
    Im not sure if here in the UK we have free trial periods on phones otherwise I would love to do that! That would be a great idea! I know someone with a curve so I might ask to have a go on his phone for a few hours to see how it feels using the trackball and typing emails etc. It HAS to be better than touch screen!!
    Dont knock it till you try it! Storm is a great device, just has a little bit steeper of a learning curve than the keyboard devices. Also the Storm 2 will be out hopefully soon which has a redesigned and engineered touchscreen. Looks pretty amazing and will be much easier and faster to type on. Other than that, I would say check out the Tour and the Onyx will be coming out soon too, which will be the new Bold replacement. Similar form factor to the Tour. You can check out the upcoming devices in the forums and other rumored devices as well.

Good Luck!!!
    09-05-09 06:16 AM
    o2 gives you this option. It's not trial as you need to sign contract and you need to pay for 18/24 months. What you can do is returning mobile and asking for different one within I THINK 14 days. Needs to be confirmed with CS...
    If you buy online ALL UK carriers give you 14 days to return the phone (falls under the Distance Selling Act). HOWEVER if you put the sim card in and turn the phone on you are considered to have accepted the contract and THIS DOES NOT APPLY.

So, you can order the phone, play with it a bit (most features will work to an extent without the sim card in) and at least see if the keyboard etc suits you but don't put the sim in!!

Whether O2 will swap the phone out and keep you on the contract is a question for them but check first. Don't forget it may well affect your data plan as the one most carriers have for Blackberries is bespoke to the device.

Cheers

Danny
    09-06-09 06:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD