Nokia's upcoming Lumia 620 is probably going to be a gamechanger and an amazing sales success

Nokia's Lumia 620 for 9 ...RIM should take note!-620.jpg

A gorgeous, well designed WP8 device for $249, sporting removable backplates, NFC, AMOLED screen, Memory expandability, removable battery and decent processing power...all for just $249.
    SoC is a dual core S4 with an Adreno 305 GPU.

This is initially targeted at the Asia/Pacific and Middle East market...before venturing to Europe. Release next month. They'll sell MILLIONS of these.

Nokia stock went up 9% at the announcement.

Huge value proposition for these phones. Aside from the $299 Nexus 4 (which isn't available in most markets and which Google has no plans to mass produce), this is pretty much an excellent budget phone.

This brings me to RIM. The initial wave of BB10 phones are excellent, but they are being targeted at the high-end. I don't see any low-cost BB10 device on the horizon for emerging markets and to replace the best-selling Curve line. An Affordable device is by far the best way to get more people hooked on your ecosystem, your apps and on BB10.
    Some may argue the cheap PlayBook running BB10 is an option, but that's an Apples to Oranges comparison.

So here's the opportunity: QualComm just announced Quad-Core chipsets for Asian markets that should provide plenty power for a low price. Certainly more power than the PlayBook. MediaTek plans to release Quad Core chipsets also in January 2013. These are typically cheap, with unit costs of around $15 i believe (just a guess)

So If Nokia can release a $249 device, why can't RIM do the same...and sooner, rather than later?

Lenovo still manages to make a profit selling a dual core phone (Lenovo A789) for $170....surely RIM can still have decent margins if they sell a low-end BB10 device for $300?

It's much easier to keep hold of a customer after you've snagged them with a budget device. It could even be a smoother ride for RIM than for Android OEMs because BB10 should provide a far smoother experience even on budget hardware than most of those cheapo Android Gingerbread phones like the HTC Wildfire S.
    12-07-12 01:14 AM
    Nokia's upcoming Lumia 620 is probably going to be a gamechanger and an amazing sales success

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	620.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	127531

A gorgeous, well designed WP8 device for $249, sporting removable backplates, NFC, AMOLED screen, Memory expandability, removable battery and decent processing power...all for just $249.
    SoC is a dual core S4 with an Adreno 305 GPU.

This is initially targeted at the Asia/Pacific and Middle East market...before venturing to Europe. Release next month. They'll sell MILLIONS of these.

Nokia stock went up 9% at the announcement.

Huge value proposition for these phones. Aside from the $299 Nexus 4 (which isn't available in most markets and which Google has no plans to mass produce), this is pretty much an excellent budget phone.

This brings me to RIM. The initial wave of BB10 phones are excellent, but they are being targeted at the high-end. I don't see any low-cost BB10 device on the horizon for emerging markets and to replace the best-selling Curve line. An Affordable device is by far the best way to get more people hooked on your ecosystem, your apps and on BB10.
    Some may argue the cheap PlayBook running BB10 is an option, but that's an Apples to Oranges comparison.

So here's the opportunity: QualComm just announced Quad-Core chipsets for Asian markets that should provide plenty power for a low price. Certainly more power than the PlayBook. MediaTek plans to release Quad Core chipsets also in January 2013. These are typically cheap, with unit costs of around $15 i believe (just a guess)

So If Nokia can release a $249 device, why can't RIM do the same...and sooner, rather than later?

Lenovo still manages to make a profit selling a dual core phone (Lenovo A789) for $170....surely RIM can still have decent margins if they sell a low-end BB10 device for $300?

It's much easier to keep hold of a customer after you've snagged them with a budget device. It could even be a smoother ride for RIM than for Android OEMs because BB10 should provide a far smoother experience even on budget hardware than most of those cheapo Android Gingerbread phones like the HTC Wildfire S.
    RIM just has to drop the price on high end BBOS devices. Besides, the 9320 is now under �100 to buy outright in UK and it only needs �5 a month to run the BIS.
    12-07-12 01:22 AM
    I think Thor is a capable CEO and will adapt accordingly. No one knows were RIM is going with BlackBerry10 but RIM. I trust that they will apapt to the market when need be. Btw windows is cool with the flippy tile things but IMO that's were it stops.
    Knightcrawler and amjass12 like this.
    12-07-12 01:41 AM
    RIM just has to drop the price on high end BBOS devices. Besides, the 9320 is now under �100 to buy outright in UK and it only needs �5 a month to run the BIS.
    The problem is, by that time BB10 will be out and people will see how much better than the OS7 devices it is...don't forget that the 'high end' OS7 devices will be looking decidedly low end in 2013.

Also, a far bigger problem is that there will be little to no more effort on app development for the OS7 BBOS devices. All the excellent apps will come out for BB10. No serious dev will put that much effort towards OS7, especially if BB10 becomes a success. There would be little incentive to purchase a new OS7 device so those that cannot afford BB10 will probably cling to their existing BBOS devices.

I agree dropping the price will mean more sales of the likes of the 9900, but we're talking about grabbing new customers here. I'm not sure many people not swayed by the existing Curves will be seriously swayed by a $350 9900.
    12-07-12 02:24 AM
    Here's the problem I see with that Nokia:

1. It's too expensive for low end markets
    2. It can't be run on a cheap 500mb data plan like a BB, you'd have to seriously limit its use.

3. It can't be run on an even cheaper simple "social" only data plan like a BB
    lnichols likes this.
    12-07-12 02:35 AM
    RIM has said that they will be using the present OS 7 devices for emerging markets until the lower end BB 10 devices are available.
    12-07-12 02:36 AM
    This was clearly designed for China market. Nokia is still a very popular brand in China, and with projected sales of about 230M smartphones in China for 2013, it could make a significant impact. Until this year, Nokia was the top seller of smartphones and mobile phones in China the lost that crown to Samsung. People wonder how Nokia was formerly the biggest phone maker in the world with barely any sales in the US, it's because of China and a billion mobile subscribers. A sub-2000RMB smartphone, along with the sub-1000RMB Asha line, could go a long way in helping them regain some of the sales they've lost over the past few years.
    12-07-12 04:02 AM

2. It can't be run on a cheap 500mb data plan like a BB, you'd have to seriously limit its use.

1. 249 is NOT anywhere near expensive for low end markets. It's priced just right.

2. Actually, low end Android phones have been viable even without BB type data compression. 500mb I'd pretty Ok for social media and light browsing. Multimedia stuff will be tough, but even RIM cannot compress video and music so it's the same hit. Wp8 also includes datasense for compression so that advantage is narrowed.

3. Even with a 200mb plan, you can be really active on many social networks.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    12-07-12 04:39 AM
    Anyway, the post was more about hoping RIM makes the effort and introduces a cheaper BB10 device to grab sales

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    12-07-12 05:11 AM
    I do not like to buy terminals with premium plans. Also show despite being a professional I have never felt the need for high-end devices like the Bold series. So I always turned to Curves, which have always represented the best compromise between price and performance, in my opinion. So even if you are a Blackberry fanboy and I am insanely excited about BB10 I think I'll wait until you release a device that supports it in a lower price range. The world is full of people like me who can not afford or do not want to buy a Bold, so I'm pretty discouraged by the idea of ​​having to wait many months longer than those who buy a L-Series device on day one. Please RIM, Curve BB10 announced soon ... the temptation for this Lumia grows like crazy!
    12-07-12 05:15 AM

$250 is not too expensive. It's the price for mid range smartphones.

By the end of the year, about 120-130 million Android phones will have been sold in China. The vast majority of them are running on way less than 500MB per month. The most commonly purchased plan gives you about 200MB a month and 60 minutes of voice for about $10. The single most common use for smartphones in China is QQ, a chat app with social features. Once this phone is released, Nokia Express (data compression) will probably be available for browsing.

Pretty easily in fact. I recently switched from 750MB a month to 200MB. I do fine since I can't access youtube, and streaming music doesn't work very well.
    12-07-12 06:00 AM
    Can I point out you can buy 2 9320s for the price of that Nokia!
    12-07-12 06:18 AM
    This kind of things only happen in american and European market, the Same things won't happen in Asia market, did u know the bold 9900 Here will cost u more than 500$, no bundling system, no free on contract phone, and no promo items. So if u think that 300$ phone is expensive u have to see it from a different perspectives to me 300$ for a new bb10 phone is a good deal

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    12-07-12 06:24 AM
    Can I point out you can buy 2 9320s for the price of that Nokia!
    Not in Asia. Even in Hong Kong (which typically has lower prices than the mainland), it's still over $2000HKD (about $260USD). Not to mention, in China, you can't even find a Blackberry. There are very very very very very few outlets for Blackberry here, most of them in Beijing and Shanghai.

Fortress
    12-07-12 06:29 AM
    Not in Asia. Even in Hong Kong (which typically has lower prices than the mainland), it's still over $2000HKD (about $260USD). Not to mention, in China, you can't even find a Blackberry. There are very very very very very few outlets for Blackberry here, most of them in Beijing and Shanghai.

Fortress
    That's just China though, other Asian countries and Middle East are mostly BB territory.
    You're kinda focusing on China a lot.
    12-07-12 06:53 AM
    That's just China though, other Asian countries and Middle East are mostly BB territory.
    You're kinda focusing on China a lot.
    The China market is greater (by a LOT) than the rest of emerging markets in Asia combined. For 2013, the expected smartphone sales in China is expected to be about 230-240 million units. In India, it's expected to be about 22-25 million. Indonesia is expected to be about 10 million units. Those are the 2nd and 4th most populous nations in the world, 2nd and 3rd if you don't count the US.
    12-07-12 07:02 AM
    This cracks me up. RIM has been criticized because their high-end phones can't compete spec-wise with other manufacturers high-end phones. In fact some people are already whining that there will be better hardware than the first BB10's when they do drop. So RIM is supposed to come out with the best hand-held specs on the planet AND compete on price too? You can't have it both ways.
    bluetroll likes this.
    12-07-12 07:04 AM
    This cracks me up. RIM has been criticized because their high-end phones can't compete spec-wise with other manufacturers high-end phones. In fact some people are already whining that there will be better hardware than the first BB10's when they do drop. So RIM is supposed to come out with the best hand-held specs on the planet AND compete on price too? You can't have it both ways.
    Xiaomi 2. 1.5Ghz Quad core Krait. Adreno 320. 2GB Ram. 16GB storage. 4.3" IPS 720p. Back lit auto-focus 8MP camera. 2MP FF camera. For about $310.00 unsubsidized.

http://www.xiaomi.com/mi2
    12-07-12 07:12 AM
    The China market is greater (by a LOT) than the rest of emerging markets in Asia combined. For 2013, the expected smartphone sales in China is expected to be about 230-240 million units. In India, it's expected to be about 22-25 million. Indonesia is expected to be about 10 million units. Those are the 2nd and 4th most populous nations in the world, 2nd and 3rd if you don't count the US.
    I don't think either RIM or Nokia will have much success in China, let's be honest here.
    12-07-12 07:13 AM
    Xiaomi 2. 1.5Ghz Quad core Krait. Adreno 320. 2GB Ram. 16GB storage. 4.3" IPS 720p. Back lit auto-focus 8MP camera. 2MP FF camera. For about $310.00 unsubsidized.

小米手机2——小米手机官网(小米手� ��2订购_小米手机2图片及参数_M2评测)
    You just made my point, why would they buy the low end Nokia?
    12-07-12 07:16 AM
    I want $249 lumia 900. It still $475 here in indonesia. :-(
    12-07-12 07:19 AM
    I don't think either RIM or Nokia will have much success in China, let's be honest here.
    Nokia had 6% of the smartphone market share in China this year (about 10 million units, which is 3 million units greater than the entire Indonesian smartphone market for 2012).... almost all with Symbian. Until the spring of this year, Nokia was the number 1 vendor of smartphones in China, when they got passed by a bunch of companies selling Android. 2012 really was a watershed year for Android in China. They've already had significant success in China, 12 months ago they were on top. RIM never had success in China, and is virtually unknown outside of Beijing and Shanghai. You can buy Nokia phones everywhere.
    12-07-12 07:24 AM
    Not a fan of the win8 ui at all
    12-07-12 07:25 AM
    You just made my point, why would they buy the low end Nokia?
    Very simple reason. It's a Nokia. Foreign brands have lot of cache in China. Samsung is the number 1 phone vendor in China, by far, and cheaper alternatives are widely available, including the Xiaomi. Same goes with things like cars and even appliances. A Buick is considered a luxury brand here.
    12-07-12 07:28 AM

小米手机2——小米手机官网(小米手� ��2订购_小米手机2图片及参数_M2评测)
    Closer to $400. And I need my phone to last more than a month.
    12-07-12 07:28 AM
44 12