Nokia unveiled its new phones in New York the other day and the item that stood out the most to me was that Nokia sold 4 million phones in the second quarter and not one of them can be upgraded to Windows 8 (or run apps written for Windows 8).

At the other end of the spectrum, one of the best things about the iPhone is that the latest iOS is not only loaded on the newest phone but it is also available for a number of the older ones as well. This keeps your customers happy and ensures that app developers are able to sell their apps to the largest audience possible.

Thorsten Heins made a comment a little while ago that the new BB10 OS was a system that would carry BlackBerry for the next 10 years or so. This is great news for customers and app developers because it shows that RIM is building an ecosystem for the longterm instead of the one year environment that Nokia has just unveiled.

Nokia has alienated millions of people with this move and has left the door wide open for RIM.

source: Nokia shows off new flagship smartphones - Tech & Gadget - MSN CA
    09-07-12 11:56 AM
    Nokia unveiled its new phones in New York the other day and the item that stood out the most to me was that Nokia sold 4 million phones in the second quarter and not one of them can be upgraded to Windows 8 (or run apps written for Windows 8).

At the other end of the spectrum, one of the best things about the iPhone is that the latest iOS is not only loaded on the newest phone but it is also available for a number of the older ones as well. This keeps your customers happy and ensures that app developers are able to sell their apps to the largest audience possible.

Thorsten Heins made a comment a little while ago that the new BB10 OS was a system that would carry BlackBerry for the next 10 years or so. This is great news for customers and app developers because it shows that RIM is building an ecosystem for the longterm instead of the one year environment that Nokia has just unveiled.

Nokia has alienated millions of people with this move and has left the door wide open for RIM.

Well, RIM has 78 million of users that they are alienating with BB10?

RIM did something similar as well. Remember when OS 7 devices were released in around august 2011? At that point of time, BBX was announced to be released in 2012 february, and it won't be available to OS 7 devices. But of course i still got my 9900 then. And also when OS 7 was announced, none of the OS 6 devices got it.

I don't think anyone has left any window open. BB10 will need to be a solid product/ecosystem by itself to be able to do well. Nokia might have just made a few potential iPhone buyers think about the Lumia 920. If Apple doesn't announce any groundbreaking new features on iPhone, they might put off their decision until the Lumia 920 hits the market, and then decide again. But then again, it will be a very small percentage.

Its good to see that RIM is planning for BB10 to carry them for the next 10 years, but it doesn't really mean that devices released next year will still be upgradeable to the latest update 5 years from now. So, as much as I want BB10 to do well, I don't think there is any open "window". RIM needs to achieve success based on their own strengths.
    Last edited by Alex_Hong; 09-07-12 at 12:07 PM.
    09-07-12 12:04 PM

Same could be said for Windows 8.

Also the second statement could be said of RIM too.

Now that Microsoft has switched to the NT kernel they are in the same position RIM is in
    09-07-12 12:07 PM
    nokia just showed off phones that should run windows 8 based apps and that will be on sale well before BB10. The new windows 8 ecosystem should be good for many years to come also. It was known before that the older lumina phones wont be upgradable. Same as BB7. Not sure where i see any "window" open in this situation. I still say advantage windows 8 so far in the battle for 3rd place
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    09-07-12 12:18 PM
    But werent the OS7 apps/games compatible with BB10?

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    09-07-12 12:20 PM

Nope, none of those are compatible at all. RIM wanted to put a Java Player on BB10, similar to the Android player we see. But ultimately thought it isn't a good idea. And i kinda agree. BB10 is a new UI experience, and allowing older apps to run on the new UI would dilute the experience of BB10. If the apps on BBOS are built using webworks (html5 apps), then i would imagine porting it over to BB10 wouldn't be a huge obstacle.

PlayBook apps on the other hand will be compatible, and we have around 30,000? which is still a mole hill compared to Windows marketplace with 100,000. WP7 apps will run on WP8, but WP8 apps will not run on WP7.
    Last edited by Alex_Hong; 09-07-12 at 12:27 PM.
    09-07-12 12:25 PM

Currently No.

RIM previously stated they would make a BBOS app player just like the android app player currently on the Playbook but it never happened and was probably just scrapped.
    One additional thing that Nokia did that seems to go unnoticed was the fact the showed off the phone and features... yet gave no price and more importantly no release date.... HMMM sound like another company we know and love....
    My main issue here is that I hope RIM is taking notice and follows the path of Apple with the OS updates. When Apple unveiled iOS 6 they made a point of saying that they sold 365 million iOS devices over the past 5 years and over 80% of those devices run the latest OS. They then compared Android devices and said that only something like 4% were running the lastest Android OS.

If a platform is to survive and have a vibrant ecosystem it needs to have a lifespan of more than one year - example Nokia and the short lived Windows Phone 7.
    09-07-12 12:29 PM
    My main issue here is that I hope RIM is taking notice and follows the path of Apple with the OS updates. When Apple unveiled iOS 6 they made a point of saying that they sold 365 million iOS devices over the past 5 years and over 80% of those devices run the latest OS. They then compared Android devices and said that only something like 4% were running the lastest Android OS.

If a platform is to survive and have a vibrant ecosystem it needs to have a lifespan of more than one year - example Nokia and the short lived Windows Phone 7.
    Unfortunately that is not going to happen the way you want it. RIM has already stated that all current Blackberrys will not be able to be upgraded to BB10.

All Playbook apps will available for BB10 phones at launch though.
    09-07-12 12:34 PM

yes but the most any android application made today runs on Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean. I would probably even include Froyo. So while not everything runs the same OS most all the apps work on most all the devices right now.
    09-07-12 12:45 PM
    Thanks for the note.

I guess what I was trying to say is that I hope that in five years over 80% of the BB10 devices sold during that time will be running the latest OS.
    09-07-12 12:45 PM
    Five years, probably not. 3 years is not out of the question though at all
    09-07-12 12:49 PM
    RIM and Microsoft are in a very similar situation as far as mobile operating systems go and their current ecosystem are both pretty much the same - nonexistent.

BUT Microsoft has a little more money to invest in making their platform successful, a lot more in house software talent to refine the built-in apps and make any apps that consumers want, and they have more partners that they can tap to help quickly create an ecosystem - Music, Movies and especially games. And the desktop to tablet to phone experience using Windows 8 is going to be a BIG + for MS.

RIM has top of the line security. Which is great, but not something the average consumer thinks about too much.

I'm sure that RIM has the eyes on MS. But MS has it's eyes on Google and Apple.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    09-07-12 12:49 PM
    I personally think that one of the reasons that iOS and Android devices are selling so well is because they are not Microsoft Windows. People first said that Windows Phone 8 was going to be awesome because the apps on the PC and phone would be the same, but we now know that isn't the case, and because of a common experience from device to device (sounds boring to me). Windows 8 could go one of two ways: People will love the Metro UI and want it on multiple devices, or people will hate the Metro UI and Windows 8 PC's and tablets will fly off the shelves as fast as Windows 7 Phones have. I'm thinking it is going to be latter. I still use XP machine at work because the follow-up versions have been so great that the organization decided not to upgrade.
    09-07-12 01:10 PM
    Yep they are in a similar postion. The only differnce is that windows 8 based hardware is growing and from ifa it looks like most tablet oems are going to focus on that. And windows phone 8 still runs windows phone 7 apps and porting between windows phone and windows 8 will be pretty easy. They also seem to be getting a nice carrier push this holiday season and the Windows 8 app store isn't even out in retail and probably has more big apps than the playbook.

Plus the new lumia camera is looking good.
    http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/9/7/...-hi-res-photos

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    09-07-12 01:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD