I tried to participate in RIM's trade up program yesterday by visiting this site https://tradeup.blackberry.com/en/ca/web/home.html

I have multiple old devices so I had a few questions, I emailed them in and received nothing but short abrupt answers, felt like I was getting brushed off or I was bothering the person. To further my crappy experience the CS rep sends me to this link to upgrade Blackberrytrade.com

I don't think the old OS is the only reason why RIM is tanking, they probably have a bunch of disheartened employees that are just waiting for a severance package.
    07-31-12 08:13 AM
    I understand your frustration, but for something to happen, you need to take this up with RIM.

I agree that service is unacceptable, but to be part of the solution - write a complaint letter.
    07-31-12 08:26 AM
    You're generally better off selling on eBay. I actually made a fairly significant amount money going that route when I moved from the 9800 to 9810 (in large part because AT&T introduced the 9810 at $49, but still).
    07-31-12 08:29 AM
    I have to agree with you. I've never had a run in with RIM directly until 2 weeks ago (i always dealt with Rogers). I've been having issues with my playbook for some time now, where it wouldnt take charge and I bought mine first day so i thought maybe its just getting old. I tried some tips found here on CB, which only temp. fixed my issue. I decided to call RIM in hopes of getting a batter ex-change. I didnt hear back for about 2 weeks after sending it in, i got a 10 seond message from some guy saying they cant fix my playbook because "its damaged beyond repair due to water damage". I was really shocked by this because my playbook just decided to stop working one morning. I called back and asked for an explaination, NO BODY and i mean NOT A SINGLE PERSON was able to give me a straight forward answer. They must've transfered me to 3 different people trying to figure out how/why it was "damaged beyond repair water damage" when it was working 20mins before it decided to shut down. A forth person refused to talk to me because i've already been given an answer... to be honest i was kind of shocked because i wasnt looking for a new playbook, i just wanted them to replace the battery, which i would be glad to pay for. Especially buying a playbook first day, i must have spent over 700$ for the 32gb and accessories i bought along with it. I assertively told the young lady who served me exactly what you mentioned...when everything goes down, the least you can do is treat you loyal and exsiting costumers with some respect and hear their concerns, brushing them off only adds to the frustration. In the end they told me to "go buy a new playbook, because they dont sell refurbished playbooks nor do they replace batteries" :O
    Needless-to-say... i now know what a playbook looks like on the inside...
    07-31-12 09:00 AM
    If you're going to delay product release then you better have great customer service! If you fail at that as well...
    07-31-12 09:59 AM
    My girlfriend got horrible service recently with her phone as well. When it did get in to get fixed, it had the same issues a week after coming back. I pretty much thought the same thing... one thing that could go a LONG way to countering the bad buzz going on is to work hard on your customer service. Because of the service she got, she is going to be switching to another brand of phone when her upgrade comes up. Media hype isn't driving her choice, she was just really turned off by the service she recieved.
    07-31-12 10:36 AM
    Here we go again.... Just because you do not like the service you recieved... does not meam all CS from RIM is the same.... I see these posts and they are a magnet for those who are disappointed with their experiences.... I service computers for a livning and deal with people who we unhappy with service they recieved from other service centres.... If I hear 10 complaints about HP computers... I do not rum out and say HP customer services is awfull even though my clients think so..... Here is a tip... if you are so outraged about how you are being treated .... take some time and research and figure out who you can call to complaiin.... If it is a customer service center... bypass the call center operator and ask fro a supervisor.... Many times managementi are not aware they have problem CS reps...if you do not complain nothing changes.... As for me... I have great and terrible experience with RIM CS.... I currently own a broken Playbook I cannot return even though it is under warrraty.... Purchased it from Staples in Canada..... Wife thew out the packaging and Staples will not take it back wihtout it and RIM says to deal with Staples...... My second PB had issues and purchased from RIM ..... sent it out and had it back in one week ( new on to boot)...I have learned when possible... purchase from a retail or carrier... purchase an extended warranty when I can and the place of purchace deals wiht my issues.....
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    07-31-12 11:37 AM
    I almost 100% agree with malloy being a tech and BB user. I can say that HOW YOU CONVEY YOUR MESSAGE, goes a very long way.

Take for example even in your complaints here, (water damage beyond repair ) NO Tech in their right mind is going to repair something with major water damage . Too many hidden surprises and no guarantee of a permanent fix. You are better off buying a new playbook. The battery price is over 100$ now add any other random broken part.... 16gb paid for right there.

I guess you'll be pissed to read that I sent in a second hand playbook, well past 6 months that I dropped on the charger while plugged in and broke the port.

THEY SENT ME A NEW ONE under 5 days total.... Curse you rim
    07-31-12 12:11 PM
    I'm with the last two people. I have set back my Playbook and had it fixed with no issue too less than a week. I Send multiple devices back for the company i work for and am always left happy because i get what i need every time. the reason for that is i dont crap on people doing their job. Attitude goes a long way whether it is in an email or over the phone if i get a user complaining to me i'm annoyed and they get short answers back if they come to me and ask nicely for an answer or some help i'm down to spend hours helping them out.
    07-31-12 12:22 PM
    Getting good CS shouldn't be a crap shoot. There should a be consistent level of CS then you have unique individuals that go above it. It's not my responsibility as a consumer to police this for RIM, it's up to their CS manager or whomever is responsible to ensure there is a certain level of CS being delivered.
    I'm not an Apple fan but one thing they do have is consistent CS, you walk into any Apple store and they all perform the same motions.
    DBMalloy, without prejudice, if I have to go thru that many hoops as you suggest to figure out how to get service, something is broken in the system.
    07-31-12 01:41 PM
    Look, that's great for you guys. My girlfriend is not a 'tech' person. She spent hours on the phone with them, eventually got the phone sent in thinking the situation was resolved, got the phone back, only to have the same problem a week later. Her phone was gone for 3 weeks, and the situation wasn't even resolved. She does not want to go through the same hassle again. Many people won't, she is not some rare case. Yes she can do what you guys suggested, or she can voice her frustration another way by using another product which is not an unreasonable reaction. Nor is it a reaction that RIM shouldn't expect after that. You can't really tell her she is 'wrong' in her situation. She's extremely frustrated at what she went through.
    07-31-12 01:47 PM
    Every company has bad CS, bad CS is not the reason RIM is where it is today in the slightest. You've just had a bad experience and as a typical knee reaction blame CS for some of the problems RIM is having on the business side. Bad CS is the norm, why are people still shocked by this lol.
    07-31-12 03:07 PM
    Every company has bad CS, bad CS is not the reason RIM is where it is today in the slightest. You've just had a bad experience and as a typical knee reaction blame CS for some of the problems RIM is having on the business side. Bad CS is the norm, why are people still shocked by this lol.
    Not a 'fanboi' by any means, but when I had a problem with my iPhone (use for work), I walked into an Apple store, it was backed up and replaced. I have had decent service from other companies as well. Customer service obviously isn't RIM's only problem, all I was saying is that if they wanted to do something to counter the negative buzz going around, it's something they could address. People remember good customer service, and they remember bad customer service even more.
    07-31-12 03:27 PM
    Not a 'fanboi' by any means, but when I had a problem with my iPhone (use for work), I walked into an Apple store, it was backed up and replaced. I have had decent service from other companies as well. Customer service obviously isn't RIM's only problem, all I was saying is that if they wanted to do something to counter the negative buzz going around, it's something they could address. People remember good customer service, and they remember bad customer service even more.
    Well, RIM has no walk in stores, so that experience will be different for sure.
    07-31-12 03:30 PM
    Sorry guys, I'm not buying the OP's tale of woe or the so called referral to an anonymously registered third party domain, with a placeholder website which looks up as hosted by a newly formed Swiss outfit claiming to "monetize your domain".

Having disclosed the result of my 3 minute research it is appropriate to close the discussion before the wolf-pack turns on the unfortunate few and the trolls come running to the sound of fighting.
    hpjrt likes this.
    07-31-12 03:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD