I cannot get wifi on my Bold 9700. I have read and tried everything. My wife has an IPhone and has no problem. The wifi hotspot shows up but the wifi logo stays gray. We have Netgear in our home and no problems with our laptops or the IPhone. I even go to several "hotspots" and it stays gray. I really think it is an AT&T thing possibly. When I go to options it shows data services "ON",Roaming "OFF" mobile network is ATT. I cannot change ATT to anything. There is no option. I have changed the browser to wifi hotspot. I have really tried everything and no results. Does anyone have an answer for me. By the way... I was at a BP station with wifi and the logo was white for about 1 min and then went gray. Need help please.

I forgot to add that I did get this when I ran a test. "Failed to authenticate against network". Hope this helps.........
    Last edited by Hoosierberry; 10-29-10 at 01:35 AM.
    10-29-10 01:28 AM
    Someone had the same problem a few days back. Check out this post I help them with: http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/index5.html
    The wi-fi being gray just means it's turned on. You have to scan for and select a router, then save it's profile. Once the profile is saved, your phone will automatically connect to that router. Hope this helps you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-10 01:59 AM
    Oops, sorry I copied the wrong link. Should be:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/wi...oblems-542210/

10-29-10 02:07 AM
    You need to setup your wifi on your BB
    10-29-10 02:14 AM
    I cannot get wifi on my Bold 9700. I have read and tried everything. My wife has an IPhone and has no problem. The wifi hotspot shows up but the wifi logo stays gray. We have Netgear in our home and no problems with our laptops or the IPhone. I even go to several "hotspots" and it stays gray. I really think it is an AT&T thing possibly. When I go to options it shows data services "ON",Roaming "OFF" mobile network is ATT. I cannot change ATT to anything. There is no option. I have changed the browser to wifi hotspot. I have really tried everything and no results. Does anyone have an answer for me. By the way... I was at a BP station with wifi and the logo was white for about 1 min and then went gray. Need help please.

I forgot to add that I did get this when I ran a test. "Failed to authenticate against network". Hope this helps.........
    Some just blame AT&T no matter what.

How in the "F" do you think it is AT&T's problem when WIFI has NOTHING to do with the carrier. I got a Blackbeery that deos not even have a SIM card in it and do WIFI!

It just could be operator error!
    10-29-10 06:11 AM
    Don't forget to reset your router, that solves to problem sometimes too.

But I agree with other responses, you do not ONCE mention that you have ran the WiFi setup for each network.

10-29-10 07:29 AM
    on your bb go to icon--manage connections--wifi options.

Select the saved profile of your home router then press bb menu key and select edit.
    Can you confirm automatically obtain ip address is checked?
    make sure connection mode is automatic and make sure inter-access point handover is checked.
    if all these things check out, escape back to your saved wi-fi profiles screen and select BB menu--wifitools--wifi diagnostics run this and let us know results. (particularly the BB infrastructure part, you should see check marks if all is good.)
    Also it would not hurt to run the ping test and type in google or cnn or something in the url and see if you can ping it.
    10-29-10 08:50 AM
    Don't forget to reset your router, that solves to problem sometimes too.

But I agree with other responses, you do not ONCE mention that you have ran the WiFi setup for each network.

First... thanks for everyone's help. I posted this at 3am after working almost 14 hours. I have run the WiFi setup. I am now getting WiFi from Harborlink down the street from my house. The logo is white. Excellent!!! Did the same for my home router. Still gray. Ran setup on it also. I have a Netgear RangeMax unit in my home. Re- booted my BB, router and modem. Not working.
    10-29-10 08:51 AM
    Are you using pin setup or psk? How many devices and how many ips available?
    Try disabling all firewalls and testing the connecting also disable dmz

10-29-10 09:02 AM
    Are you using WEP on your Netgear wireless router?

There's a known bug where the NetGear Generates a 65 character WEP key and the field on the BB only lets you enter 63 or 64. So, the key never get's fully entered. The fix is to switch to a shorter WEP key.

Also, check that your Netgear router has the most recent firmware loaded on it. They have pushed out some patches lately that fix the compatibility with some WiFi chips including those in BB's and certain netbooks.
    10-29-10 10:32 AM
    Are you using WEP on your Netgear wireless router?

There's a known bug where the NetGear Generates a 65 character WEP key and the field on the BB only lets you enter 63 or 64. So, the key never get's fully entered. The fix is to switch to a shorter WEP key.

Also, check that your Netgear router has the most recent firmware loaded on it. They have pushed out some patches lately that fix the compatibility with some WiFi chips including those in BB's and certain netbooks.
    Thanks for the info. I will give this a try. Also when I set up the Netgear and it asks for my username= email address and password... is the password the same that I use for my email acct???? OOOOr is it my ATT network password??
    10-29-10 04:03 PM
    Is the Netgear router supplied by ATT?
    10-29-10 08:15 PM
    Is the Netgear router supplied by ATT?
    No. I bought it at Best Buy. The modem is a Motorola supplied by ATT.
    10-29-10 09:51 PM
    Used for speed only?
    10-29-10 10:38 PM
    Used for speed only?
    Speed of course. I also use it for my laptop and Directv.

10-30-10 10:48 AM
    Are you using pin setup or psk? How many devices and how many ips available?
    Try disabling all firewalls and testing the connecting also disable dmz

Using a PSK setup. I was wondering how to check the PSK #'s and make sure they are correct.
    10-30-10 11:31 AM
    IT IS WORKING!!!!!!! I took someone's suggestion and checked the security settings. I changed the settings from WPA-PSK to WPA2-PSK. I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked at my homescreen and it was working. It took 9 days and a lot of help from all of you and it finally worked. I did type in my passphrase after changing the setting. Thanks to everyone for your help.
    10-31-10 07:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD