Hi,

I'm really thinking about purchasing the BB Tour and I've been reading the reviews at verizonwireless.com. Once consistent comment on the reviews is that customers are disappointed that the Tour cannot pick up WiFi?

I'm wondering why that is a con? If you have the data package, WiFi seems pointless, doesn't?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    08-03-09 06:05 PM
    The phone is fast enough that you do not need wifi so its not a con. All the babys can switch to AT&T and get a bold.
    08-03-09 06:07 PM
    you only need wifi if your on a plane or in a building that has no signal.. other then that wifi is useless..the tour is very fast
    08-03-09 06:11 PM
    Actually.. there is a use for wifi...

I for one stream video and audio through orb for 8 hours a day to my tour while I am at work.

For me... crappy video quality do to low verizon bandwith from 3g. Mind you, I have full evdo coverage.

Friend sitting next to me with blackberry using wifi = seemless video streaming and great quality. No audio skips or lags either.

So yea... if you are using bandwith dependent applications, there is a difference.

Is it disappointing? Nah. It was well known before launch of the tour it would not have wifi. Do I complain about it? Nah. But there is a difference.

Just waiting for the storm 2 now. Then its all bananas and dancing with toothbrushes.
    08-03-09 06:28 PM

I for one stream video and audio through orb for 8 hours a day to my tour while I am at work.

For me... crappy video quality do to low verizon bandwith from 3g. Mind you, I have full evdo coverage.

Friend sitting next to me with blackberry using wifi = seemless video streaming and great quality. No audio skips or lags either.

So yea... if you are using bandwith dependent applications, there is a difference.

Is it disappointing? Nah. It was well known before launch of the tour it would not have wifi. Do I complain about it? Nah. But there is a difference.

Just waiting for the storm 2 now. Then its all bananas and dancing with toothbrushes.
    Hey thanks for the detailed feedback, I really appreciate it! Sorry to wonder off topic, but is there an expected release date for the Storm 2? Maybe I should hold off for the Storm 2 rather than get the Tour?
    08-03-09 08:17 PM
    I like to stream video sometimes. Sometimes it is real.com sometimes it is flash. Is it possible to do that? Can realplayer work on a Tour.

08-05-09 03:13 PM
    I'm told Blackberry will be adding WiFi and Push-to-Talk to the Tour 9630. Both will be done by way of Software Patch. A few months away I'm told by my Verizon contact.
    08-05-09 03:40 PM
    I think this thread pops up at least once every few days! No Wifi!
    08-05-09 03:42 PM
    Ya, I could never understand why users think they are missing out on no Wifi.

When I had Verizons data plans on my Treo's the plans were limited to 5 GB per month for $45 while you were browsing the web etc.

The Blackberry's data plan is truley unlimited. I have yet to be in a building where I could not access the net and the speeds are great. Much bettter OS than the Palms.

Seems to be a techy type need. If WiFi is on some phones and not theirs they feel they are missing out.

I'd rather have unlimited data from most anywhere rather than be tied to a short WiFi connection.

I have the VZ access card for my netbook for $55 per month and that is also a 5 GB cap.

The Tour has exceeded my expections in every way for it's features and ease of use and I was a Palm fan from their inception.
    08-05-09 03:58 PM
    I'm told Blackberry will be adding WiFi and Push-to-Talk to the Tour 9630. Both will be done by way of Software Patch. A few months away I'm told by my Verizon contact.
    Is this possible? Lol I can't see how

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-09 01:05 PM
    It is not possible. No hardware. No wifi.

08-08-09 02:08 PM
    By the way . . . saw an article in the NY Post several days ago that some coffee shops are already limiting WiFi because people sit there and use the service, but don't spend any money.

I never saw the point of stores like Starbucks offering free WiFi service while students sit their all day taking up the space of paying customers.

Here is the link to the story, it's still posted:

New York coffee shops place restrictions on WiFi users - FierceTelecom
    Last edited by expidia; 08-08-09 at 06:45 PM.
    08-08-09 06:42 PM
    I think this thread pops up at least once every few days! No Wifi!
    Again and again, right? And then we get into the debate as to whether or not the WiFi thing is a big deal or not (I think it's already started here!)

I just can't get sucked into this one again.
    08-08-09 07:12 PM
    So... I can haz wifi with tourz?

08-08-09 07:14 PM
    The same issues was always complained about over the years when I was in the Treo forums.

People always wanted a card to pop in and turn on the WiFi!

Some company actually came out with a little sled that the Treo sild into and you had WiFi I think from me recollection.

If it was a WiFi sled I don't think it took off. I think it's more of a case if it's a feature the Tour doesn't have then people are dying for it. Once they get it they hardly use it.

I have a 3 lb netbook. It has no cd/dvd drive. I if you need other programs added you use another laptop and save the program to a flash drive and then install it on the netbook (or download the program) People on the Asus forums cry for an external drive. If you read the reviews on Amazon for those external drives from the comments many say "I bought it but I find I rarely ever use it".

I also have the $55 a month Verizon card that I use with the Netbook. I used to carry with me everywhere. But since the $30 unlimited data plan, I rarely use the netbook now. The push email from my 3 accounts is amazing and I can read all the mobile news websites (see the link for those on the bottom right side of the Drudgereport.com and save it to a bookmark).

So in my opinion, people only want the WiFi only because they don't have it on the 9630. I think they are missing out on the best PDA I have owned over the past 10 years. Nothing comes close for my business and personal needs.
    08-09-09 08:01 AM
    I believe the Tour is the last VzW Blackberry that was released without WiFi. All future Blackberry's are to include Wifi per the announcement in July I believe.
    08-09-09 08:17 AM
    Ya, thats pretty strange!

Does anyone know why it doesn't run on 3G CDMA? i only see 1XEV is that the 3G part?
    08-09-09 08:23 AM
    Ya, thats pretty strange!

Does anyone know why it doesn't run on 3G CDMA? i only see 1XEV is that the 3G part?
    1XEV is 3G for CDMA carriers, ie Verizon, Sprint, etc.

08-09-09 08:26 AM
    Verizon dude told me that the next patch will include two little antennas on top of phone with a remote control and that i can use the Tour as a HDTV.
    Too bad im not with Verizon
    08-09-09 08:57 AM
    A verizon rep told me it's all coming in 2 weeks. True story.

08-09-09 09:33 AM
    For the BlackBerries that support WiFi, how does it work? Do you have to manually search for a WiFi network to connect to, or does it automatically connect if it finds one faster than the 1XEV?
    08-09-09 12:33 PM
    Is this possible? Lol I can't see how

Nope, the phone has to have a WiFi card built into it, and same with the two-way; the two-way phones have hardware separate from what's already in the phone, so it's possible a two-way with WiFi is on the way, but it would be a completely new device, kind of like how the push to talk version of the curve is the 8350i.
    08-09-09 01:05 PM
    For the BlackBerries that support WiFi, how does it work? Do you have to manually search for a WiFi network to connect to, or does it automatically connect if it finds one faster than the 1XEV?
    You have to manually set up the network, the phone won't connect to a WiFi network by default unless you already have a profile set up for that specific network.
    Also even if you have a profile set up for a network, make sure your default internet browser is set to 'internet browser' as opposed to WAP, because if it's WAP it won't connect through the WiFi anyway.
    08-09-09 01:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD