I was in the hospital for the last day and didn't get a signal there. I figured I would use the free wifi on my ?. No luck. It said it couldn't find any service even though I had full wifi signal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 05:29 PM
    um....ok, well was it connected to wifi or just picking up a network?? because theres a biiiiiiiiig difference.
    05-27-09 05:42 PM
    um....ok, well was it connected to wifi or just picking up a network?? because theres a biiiiiiiiig difference.
    Uh, I know there's a difference. I was connected the the hospitals wifi. But it wouldn't let me use wifi because the BB had no service. Basically, the BB won't use wifi if it don't have service (from provider).

My other phones would use wifi without getting service from tmobile.
    05-27-09 05:44 PM
    You are wrong I'm posting from my bold now over wifi and I have the radio/mobile network off. So no, you don't need service in order to use wifi. I bet u weren't connected, just picking it up.

05-27-09 06:51 PM
    You are wrong I'm posting from my bold now over wifi and I have the radio/mobile network off. So no, you don't need service in order to use wifi. I bet u weren't connected, just picking it up.

It showed in the wifi settings that it was using the wifi at the hospital. Hmm. I tried turning the radio off now at home and it does browse. How do I get it to connect then?

In the wifi statue it showed the green wifi beams around the hospital.
    05-27-09 06:56 PM
    Are you sure the hospital didn't require you to login or pay to use their WiFi? That might be a cause of what you experienced, but dictoresno is correce. I've even used WiFi on my BB without a SIM card and it worked.

05-27-09 06:58 PM
    Are you sure the hospital didn't require you to login or pay to use their WiFi? That might be a cause of what you experienced, but dictoresno is correce. I've even used WiFi on my BB without a SIM card and it worked.

Not as far as I know. It was "memorialwifi guest" service. My BB said it was connected. But my signal said sos.

IDK. Thanks though guys. Hopefully I don't go there again to try it. :P

I guess I should've asked them but I was so mind trapped in that small room, I didn't think it may need a login.
    05-27-09 07:01 PM
    you were probably picking it up, but not connected. was the wifi symbol grey or white? did it say "T-Mobile - memorialwifi" on your phone to show you are connected? or were you just in your manage connections menu and showed you were in range of a wif network.
    05-27-09 07:06 PM
    I can't remember. I just went into wifi connections and it showed the hospital was getting a signal. How do you make it connect if it won't connect? If it doesn't require a login, will it auto connect?

05-27-09 07:11 PM
    you need to go into manage connection > setup wifi network. if it doesnt require a login, it may just connect. but if it does, you will be prompted to input the password once you select the network after it scans for them. then it will save that network and automatically connect when you come into range thereafter. you never set the network up im guessing. but when you scanned for it, it would show a little lock or something i think to show you its a protected network. once you are properly connected, the wifi symbol will be a bright white instead of greyed out on the home screen.
    05-27-09 07:21 PM
    It showed the network - no lock on it. Oh well. I will remember that for next time. Thanks for the help guys.
    05-27-09 07:22 PM
    yup, just make sure you go through the setup process to tell the phone to connect to it, it doesnt just connect automatically. you need to select one. once you do that, it will continue to connect. my wifi connects automatically when i walk in the door to my apt or to my parents house cuz i saved it as a profile.
    05-27-09 07:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD