RIM seems to be doing a great job with dev's with this tour they are having but the regular consumer does not know about BB10. Most my friends don't know what BB10 is. Those who do know, have no faith in RIM. Are you guys experiencing the same thing? Its great that RIM is catering to devs but they need to start doing something to get regular consumers attention. I'm in NY and BB's do not sell.
    09-22-12 10:53 PM
    well none of my friends know anything about tech to begin with so no they don't know anything about bb10, however I don't think people need to know about bb10 just yet since it is a long while away imo

Sent from da BOLD or maybe mi PlayBook
    09-22-12 10:56 PM
    It is a few months away, you may have a point.
    09-22-12 11:10 PM
    If you look hard enough you can see it off in the distance... going the other way
    09-22-12 11:22 PM
    Its counter productive at this point for RIM to try to educate the end using public about bb10. RIMs job one is to get the carriers educated. The carriers will make or break bb10. RIM is not going to hit a home run right out of the gate. If the carriers find a way to push bb10 and it benefits them then it will have to build over several device release cycles. RIM is a good ways from the average end using person to be as aware about its products as a person is about the iphone.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by southlander; 09-22-12 at 11:31 PM.
    Stewartj1 and Superfly_FR like this.
    09-22-12 11:25 PM
    I don't just mean BB10, I also mean the playbook. No one is pushing Blackberry anything around here. You go to stores and people will say "I think blackberry is going out of business"
    09-22-12 11:32 PM
    RIM needs a amazing ad campagin just before the launch, showing the finished product.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    09-22-12 11:37 PM
    Hasn't happened with any other device from them... Won't with this one. They survive on diehard addicts like us, and if you ask me... I'm ok with that
    09-22-12 11:38 PM
    None of my friends or people I work with know anything about BB10, but there not really into the tech thing or they've switched to iPhones, I can't tell you how many of those I see. It is too soon to begin marketing BB10. With a Q1 launch we probably won't see anything until after the holidays. In my opinion any advertising in November or December will be lost with all the Christmas ads.
    Neely2005 and Stewartj1 like this.
    09-22-12 11:47 PM
    RIM seems to be doing a great job with dev's with this tour they are having but the regular consumer does not know about BB10. Most my friends don't know what BB10 is. Those who do know, have no faith in RIM. Are you guys experiencing the same thing? Its great that RIM is catering to devs but they need to start doing something to get regular consumers attention. I'm in NY and BB's do not sell.
    I'm in CA., same story here.
    09-23-12 12:00 AM
    If BB 10 is going to be released in Jan unless that has changed, I think they need to start doing some major advertising way in advance. If they are trying to gain a lot of market share back, and want to detract from possible sales of other phones on other platforms they need to do this in Nov. They need to heavily advertise by way of commercials etc. This may sway others just in time for the Christmas holidays who are thinking of purchasing a phone for themselves or someone else, to just wait a little longer
    09-23-12 12:05 AM
    Most people I talk to about Blackberry have written it off....
    ...Blackberry unfortunately is now at the bottom of the pecking order.

The smartphone market has evolved into a media consumption animal to be sure....
    ....And the Blackberry Playbook can't use ANY of the popular media streaming sites.
    ....Such as Hulu or Netflix.

Because the Market in North America demands this type of consumption anything that doesn't deliver it...
    ...Falls outside the potential consumers radar - they don't even think about it.
    ...What gets in is the media bad mouthing a company that's having a tough time of things.

You're right, most people have no idea of BBX because they have written off Blackberry....
    ...Therefore it's not like Apple, Droid or Windows phone where people imagine what's coming next.
    ...If BBX ends up being a heavy weight in functionality the consumers will take notice.

EVERY person I've shown my Playbook to used words like DAMN, COOL, what kind of a tablet is that, etc....
    ...The next question is usually "what does Netflix or Hulu look like on it".
    ...They shortly loose interest after hearing that it can't do either of those.

There have been SCORES of iphones sold simply because someone first bought an ipad...
    ...Likewise when a consumer buys an ipad THEN gets an iphone.
    ...Blackberry can't compete in a media consumption market with what it has now.

If RIM can step back into the ring with "functional" tablet that consumes media that is now considered a staple....
    ...People will take note and seriously consider other Blackberry products.

The Blackberry Playbook is very attractive even sitting off & when you pick it up it just screams quality....
    ...The resolution is absolutely excellent as is the volume - the U.I. is IMO the best there is, period.
    ...Unfortunately it has really NOTHING right now to offer a consumer interested in a tablet that consumes media.
    ...Therefore it's not functional!

RIM can change all this so that when someone gets a Playbook they immediately consider a Blackberry 10....
    ...For this to happen RIM needs some serious media consumption apps and they had better hurry on delivering it.
    ...Right now they have two things going against them - OS7 and the existing state of Playbook.
    ...These two products insult each other currently - one does the other zero good.

Playbook needs to start to showcase what someone can do with a new Blackberry phone....
    ...They can do this by making the Playbook funtional for media consumption.
    ...If that happened with all the firesale Playbooks being dumped on the market RIM could get some excellent milage there.

In my experience people really like the look and build quality of RIM products....
    ...They just are not interested in a product that's not functional for what they want to do with it.
    ...I.E. consume media.
    Last edited by pythons; 09-23-12 at 12:13 AM.
    09-23-12 12:09 AM
    This sorta falls in the category of "why isn't RIM telling us more about BB10?!". In this case, the question gets the addendum "...or the Playbook?"

There's a very good reason: RIM is damaged goods to most consumers right now, and a big part of their credibility problem comes from their previous tendency to announce things too far in advance and then fail to deliver.

They can only address this perception one way: to produce an excellent product that does what they say it will, and deliver it on time. Showing too much now, when it's not coming out for another 5 months, just gives the cynics that much time to say "...suuuure, we've heard THAT one before!"

As for the Playbook... well, it's getting better every day, but the fact is that after what may be the worst launch for a good product in tech history, the brand is tainted. RIM has one chance to rehabilitate the Playbook: launch BB10 successfully, and re-launch the Playbook as a bigger BB10. Doing anything in the meantime just invites more iPad comparisons. That doesn't help.
    09-23-12 12:10 AM
    Do people know about BB X? Well, anyone who knows me, or has come in contact with me, knows about BB X.
    Spread the word...
    09-23-12 01:04 AM
    I too educate people on the BB10. I don't understand how they launched playbook 4G and no one knows about it... When I show people my playbook and show how it works, they get excited then I tell them its a Blackberry product and they lose interest. With like "oh, I thought blackberry went out of business. Why don't you get an iPad."
    esk369 and babacan like this.
    09-23-12 07:01 AM
    "..The smartphone market has evolved into a media consumption animal to be sure....
    ....And the Blackberry Playbook can't use ANY of the popular media streaming sites.
    ....Such as Hulu or Netflix..."

Why not? Can't you access it from the web browser?
    09-23-12 07:46 AM
    I disagree that it is too early to start letting people know about the new OS and phones.
    If they don't know they are coming, they will switch because they don't see an alternative, considering the current OS 7 phones.
    If you tell them that in a few short months, these new phones will come out with an all new OS that we feel surpasses all current OSes and the phones will be both full screen and QWERTY, then many will keep on board.
    If you can emphasize that, say, Netflix will be available, then that might keep more on board. If you can tell them that something like Skype will be available, then that might keep more on board.
    It is no secret that BB10 is coming out in the new year. May as well let as many people as possible know what is now public knowledge so that those who want to remain BB users will.
    09-23-12 07:51 AM
    I too educate people on the BB10. I don't understand how they launched playbook 4G and no one knows about it... When I show people my playbook and show how it works, they get excited then I tell them its a Blackberry product and they lose interest. With like "oh, I thought blackberry went out of business. Why don't you get an iPad."
    I got an iPhone user to buy a Playbook and he likes it very much. Not sure if he would have paid $250 or more for it though.
    09-23-12 07:53 AM
    "..The smartphone market has evolved into a media consumption animal to be sure....
    ....Such as Hulu or Netflix..."

Why not? Can't you access it from the web browser?
    Ahhhh, no...
    ..That's why the Playbook can't supply any demand for a tablet.
    Last edited by pythons; 09-23-12 at 09:32 AM.
    09-23-12 09:30 AM
    Ahhhh, no...
    ..That's why the Playbook can't supply any demand for a tablet.
    Sure you can. Have you tried?
    09-23-12 09:36 AM
    Most people I talk to are unaware of BB10 as well - they just assume RIM will release another minor upgrade to their lackluster lineup.

And those who do know about BB10 aren't interested.

Other than this forum, I have not heard a single person (those I know or even hearing a conversation among strangers) who said they're going to get a BB10 device. Every current Blackberry owner I know intends to go with either iPhone or Android (and even a couple are interested in WP8) when their contract is up.

This is in Toronto, which is as BB friendly as you're going to get.

It'll be a monstrous uphill for RIM to get people to change their minds about dropping their BBs.

RIM needs to start showing BB10 off soon, especially with Christmas being around the corner. The mass-exodus will continue, but RIM needs to slow it down in any way possible.
    09-23-12 09:47 AM
    Sure you can. Have you tried?
    I think the question was really can you view movies/shows on it, which last time I tried I couldn't.
    richardat likes this.
    09-23-12 09:49 AM
    "If you can emphasize that, say, Netflix will be available, then that might keep more on board. If you can tell them that something like Skype will be available, then that might keep more on board." --- And if BB10 does not come out with those, those people will feel cheated!

Bad Idea!
    esk369 likes this.
    09-23-12 11:43 AM
    The time to tell consumers about BB10 is when you can give them solid prices, dates and carriers - anything before that is a waste of marketing money.

"some device coming some time somewhere!"
    09-23-12 12:27 PM
    I'm in queens myself I don't know how well BB is selling in the nyc 5 boro area but I do see people using BB mostly older curves.
    But I do agree rim needs to reach out to the avg consumer if you sat down and watched tv for an hour of so and count how many moble phone commercials you see its a lot but not one for BlackBerry rim needs to get with it.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    09-23-12 12:39 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD