1st off I hate Netflix but a lot of u seem to love it and need it. From what I have heard is that they are not building one because it wont bring that much of an Income for them, in other words its a waste of their time and not enough $$ to be worth it....CAN i ask why companies are SOOO freaking stupid. Even if u can get 20,000 more customers on top of their millions that would be + in revenue , wouldn't it be worth it???? 20,000 x 9/a month for life adds up. I mean are APP's $100,000 to make????? its FREAKING EASY AND CHEAP to make the app... When Skype said the same thing I deactivated my account and I sent them an email. I told Skype that I have a personal account on my home PC that I will be deleting my account because the lack of support for Blackberry, I am a customer and you do not suit my mobile needs, so not only are u dropping Blackberry But I as a LONG time customer are dropping you. I also did the same thing with Yahoo, No support for BlackBerry I show NO support for u, simple. Yahoo dropped Blackberry I wrote them an email saying that I will no longer go to yahoo.com because of the lack of support for BB, Yahoo NEEDS my click more the ever, that ship is sinking and if more people did what I did then maybe there will be a change. If Millions of BB users canceled their Netflix account for 1 month then they might see a shift in $$$ and decide to make the app. ALL IT TAKES IS PATIENCE, CLOSE UR ACCOUNT WRITE AN EMAIL AND WAIT. I deactivated my account because Netflix is Crap BUT i did not tell them that lol I told them it was because the lack of support for BB. So if you guys can go 1 month without watching an "Old *** Movie" (because that's all that Netflix has to offer, Old Movies) then maybe BB can make some head way with this app.. good luck to the Netflix fans
    trynacu2 and G-bone like this.
    03-07-13 11:41 AM
    How many Netflix subscribers do you think you're reaching on this forum?

Posted via CB10
    03-07-13 11:45 AM
    I'm a Netflix subscriber, but their collection is sparse. If it's true that RedBox is going to do streaming media service I might go with them. They have a better selection.
    G-bone and EsJayDee like this.
    03-07-13 02:47 PM
    If Blackberry had an all-you-can-eat option for their BBWorld video service it would solve the problem. netflix seems to have a valid business model, why did BBRY need to copy the itunes model?
    trynacu2 and G-bone like this.
    03-07-13 02:56 PM
    I'm a Netflix subscriber, but their collection is sparse. If it's true that RedBox is going to do streaming media service I might go with them. They have a better selection.
    Lol if Redbox ends up making a BB app.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    03-07-13 03:00 PM
    if redbox doesn't have a streaming service yet then how do you know it will be a better selection than netflix? netflix has exclusive deals with MANY different media sources and television channels. their DVD service is as good as anything else because they pretty much offer any dvd ever made. how can you compare a service that exists right now to a service that doesn't exist yet though? redbox is a tiny offering compared to netflix, at least in what they're likely capable of affording at first. they would for sure have to make an app for bb and doubt a port would work. as it stands right now netflix and other similar offerings all use proprietary software to decode video due to copyright agreements. hence why you cannot use netflix in a mobile browser. it will probably be the same for redbox, as i cannot see anyone agreeing to a deal with them unless they can secure content. i think netflix on mobile devices is annoying anyway and i don't use it on any of my devices, so the whole thing is moot to me.
    03-07-13 03:00 PM
    But yes it is an idea. Heck we can make a petition. But one was made for Sprint with over 1500 signatures to get the Z10 and they still don't care. But it's better then not doing anything.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    03-07-13 03:03 PM
    Have you guys tried sideloading the Desktop Browser app? It is detected as a FF5 browser, and should be able to run NetFlix within the browser
    03-07-13 03:52 PM
    Have you guys tried sideloading the Desktop Browser app? It is detected as a FF5 browser, and should be able to run NetFlix within the browser
    Doesn't the desktop browser user silverlight? Dont think its going to work
    03-07-13 04:06 PM
    Yes silverlight is required. It will never work in a browser.
    bobshine likes this.
    03-07-13 04:09 PM
    its FREAKING EASY AND CHEAP to make the app...
    Stopped reading here.
    westcoastit and aniym like this.
    03-07-13 04:12 PM
    I use Amazon.com works on all my browsers
    03-07-13 04:59 PM
    How many Netflix subscribers do you think you're reaching on this forum?

Posted via CB10
    Looks like he reached a few....
    How many BlackBerry subscribers do you think you're reaching?
    G-bone and Jonathank like this.
    03-07-13 05:24 PM
    Any chance for Amazon to come to BB. Their selection is still not that of Netflix and their app is not as good, but I am sure that a lot of us are already Amazon prime members.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-13 05:31 PM
    if redbox doesn't have a streaming service yet then how do you know it will be a better selection than netflix? netflix has exclusive deals with MANY different media sources and television channels. their DVD service is as good as anything else because they pretty much offer any dvd ever made. how can you compare a service that exists right now to a service that doesn't exist yet though? redbox is a tiny offering compared to netflix, at least in what they're likely capable of affording at first. they would for sure have to make an app for bb and doubt a port would work. as it stands right now netflix and other similar offerings all use proprietary software to decode video due to copyright agreements. hence why you cannot use netflix in a mobile browser. it will probably be the same for redbox, as i cannot see anyone agreeing to a deal with them unless they can secure content. i think netflix on mobile devices is annoying anyway and i don't use it on any of my devices, so the whole thing is moot to me.
    i'm just reporting the selections that Netflix has and that it is not a lot. i was looking on it yesterday and some of the movies that have already came out on DVD are Not on Netflix and there a lot on RedBox.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-07-13 06:26 PM
    Microsoft really should make an app and sell a subscription for the mobile browsers. It is rediculous that I have so many things I can do on my browser, but come up with at least 5 sites that I would like to go to that only support Silverlight.

I can't stand it, just saying. Seems like lost opportunity to me.
    Jonathank likes this.
    03-07-13 06:39 PM
    Stopped reading here.
    That's an eye of the beholder situation. I wouldn't stop reading there. If you're good at what you do, it would be easy, if you're not or you don't know how to, it would be impossible for you to do it.
    03-07-13 06:40 PM
    I have netflix and personally the selection sucks in canada. If i switch to the US it's a bit better. In the 3 years i have had netflix i maybe watched 30 movies tops. I let everyone else use my account.
    03-07-13 06:48 PM
    If Blackberry had an all-you-can-eat option for their BBWorld video service it would solve the problem. netflix seems to have a valid business model, why did BBRY need to copy the itunes model?
    Being a Canadian company, i'm sure BBRY is subject to the CRTC's standards. Unfortunately the CRTC are being very... retentive about NetFlix, and I'm sure by extension a NetFlix style model. My dad tried to explain to me once why the CRTC is against Netflix. Something about how companies make money off the shows they air.. I don't pretend to understand it much, but it makes sense to me that BBRY would have to charge per download to uphold said system :P
    03-07-13 06:51 PM
    I have Amazon Prime and it works perfectly on my PlayBook browser. My assumption is that it will work for the BB10 browser as well (Someone with a Z10 can confirm that). I dumped Netflix long ago. The only way a Netflix app would tempt me back is if it were a better value. The AP membership gives me added value with other Amazon services.
    03-07-13 06:57 PM
    That's an eye of the beholder situation. I wouldn't stop reading there. If you're good at what you do, it would be easy, if you're not or you don't know how to, it would be impossible for you to do it.
    I am good at what I do. It's not as easy as people think it is (in fact I've hardly ever heard programming referred to as 'easy'). Plus, coding the app is only half the battle. Netflix would have a much bigger battle with licensing.
    03-07-13 07:08 PM
    Here is the easiest solution, yet! How about Netflix stops BLOCKING the BB browser. Go straight to the main site and stream like the PB used to, before they cut it off. The fact that they haven't done this simple task should tell us all what they think of us and our business.

Via my PlayBook and Tapatalk
    03-07-13 07:14 PM
    Here is the easiest solution, yet! How about Netflix stops BLOCKING the BB browser. Go straight to the main site and stream like the PB used to, before they cut it off. The fact that they haven't done this simple task should tell us all what they think of us and our business.

Via my PlayBook and Tapatalk
    The PB could never stream netflix.
    howarmat likes this.
    03-07-13 07:16 PM
    I am good at what I do. It's not as easy as people think it is (in fact I've hardly ever heard programming referred to as 'easy'). Plus, coding the app is only half the battle. Netflix would have a much bigger battle with licensing.
    It's not just licensing, Netflix has to worry about encoding/decoding video for each device and ensuring that the quality that both their subscribers and the content owners expect is there.

Netflix Encodes Every Movie 120 Different Ways

Very interesting short film about what Netflix has to do in order to make a movie streamable for so many different devices.
    03-07-13 07:44 PM
    Netflix content is generally old, and the labels (and studios) aren't willing to do all-you-can-eat on the new stuff. That's why Netflix's content is generally old movies plus "Benson" and other old TV content.

One reason they're developing their own shows like "House of Cards" is to try and produce content that's current and keep streaming going.

It's unlikely BB could offer a streaming product that allows unlimited access to the up-to-date movies in their catalog to viewers... the studios wouldn't allow it. If such an option WAS possible, then BBWorld would be a MUCH better choice than Netflix, and they'd have to change the headlines to "iOS, Android and Windows Phone lack BBWorld -- demonstrate app availability problem."
    03-07-13 07:55 PM
38 12