I know I can save in the long run - unfortunately I have monthly obligations that take precedence and leave little for such one time expenditures.

As for that "shiny new phone". I don't jump on every new one that comes along.

I'm currently still on my AT&T Z10 bought for 20 bucks because it was a refurb. Yes, it was on a two-year contract but that's long over and now only paying for the mobile plan.

Previous phone was a 9800 refurb for 1 cent from AT&T that I also had for 3 years.

With the new plans, refurbs don't happen much any more. At least not the ones I want. And I just can't afford an unlocked BlackBerry of any kind.

Unless some good deal comes along, I'm toughing it out with my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    If you like your z10 but want a more modern but inexpensive replacement i would really recommend the Moto E 2nd gen (model xt1527).

All the wonderful aspects of the z10 form factor but a whole lot faster with a modern browser and excellent lte connectivity.
    01-24-17 07:09 AM
    But the point is that you cannot buy a non-Verizon branded phone and use it on the Verizon network (plus these retailers do not sell CDMA phones and clearly state they will not work on Verizon anyway).

Posted via CB10
    I'm pretty sure Amazon sells Verizon phones.
    01-24-17 07:12 AM
    Blackberry is a rough diamond that just needs a little shining.
    I nominate "Rough Diamond" as the official name of the Merc.
    Matty likes this.
    01-24-17 09:07 AM
    While that might work for some carriers. But so far to use a BB phone on Verizon, you need to purchase from Verizon (or dealers who sold Verizon models). ShopBB did not sell Verizon models of their phones.
    That is not strictly true anymore for Verizon. Motorola and some Nexus phones that can be purchased (not from Verizon) and put on Verizon. Phones don't have to have CDMA, VoLTE phones that have the correct Verizon frequencies can be put on Verizon. Verizon is moving forward with plans to shut down their CDMA network.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-24-17 11:44 AM
    I did a test in Nov. Two Priv's. A Verizon one and a ShopBB one using a T-Mobile sim. 7 miles south of Sedona at a large resort near other larger resorts and a block from a smaller mall. Verizon had service and T-mobile did not. Walked to the desk and inquired. Staff reported that only Verizon seems to work in '"this" area and anywhere near steeper terrain. Out a bit in the boonies for a hike and a trail monitor told us only Verizon works and it can be spotty but that it can get signals whereas AT*T, etc do not work at all.

Obviously, this is a unique situation but one I suspected was like that (Desert Southwest is not cell friendly but Verizon can work) which is why I ran the test. I would have liked to also try an AT&T sim but did not have an opportunity. I vacation in such areas and will stick with Verizon for its service in such areas as much as a pain-in-the-butt as they can be as a company.
    Had a similar situation last summer on a float trip. Verizon was king and even then you jhad to go stand in the right spot
    FF22 likes this.
    01-24-17 11:54 AM
    If you like your z10 but want a more modern but inexpensive replacement i would really recommend the Moto E 2nd gen (model xt1527).

All the wonderful aspects of the z10 form factor but a whole lot faster with a modern browser and excellent lte connectivity.
    I found the 8gigs of storage super limiting under android, and would recommend a Moto G4 Play instead for a cheap phone in a similar form factor. Also, the camera in the Moto E is terrible, with no flash.

But for connectivity, definitely the Moto E is up there, and can be had for a great price.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-17 12:16 PM
    I've got unlocked BBs from SHopBlackberry and I am still waiting for 10.3.3, although I guess I could use the autoloaders
    01-24-17 02:54 PM
32 12