Hello folks,

Now, I realize that people ask questions about no data plans often. I have searched the forum and read the threads. The problem I have encountered is that 90% of the responses contain editorializing, philosophizing and rhetoricizing...yet generally, do not answer the question. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could answer this question without asking a rhetrorical question in return:

I am a treo user (no data plan). I highly dislike the treo, it is heavy, awkward and annoying. I purchased a used Blackberry 7290, it is lightweight and efficient. I have NO need for a data plan. Is it possible to use this phone for simply calling and texting without a dataplan and without anytype of special charges? I have NO intention of using the internet.

cheers.
    02-20-09 08:10 PM
    I believe that varys by carrier... So in a way yes I suppose... But I'm not a 100% sure!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-09 08:24 PM
    I think you CAN do this on ATT.
    02-20-09 08:32 PM
    You have the option not to purchase a data plan with ATT, however they do warn you of the data charges that you'd incur if you end up transferring data.
    02-20-09 08:39 PM
    Thanks everyone for the replies :-) I never used internet on my other phones. But i love this blackberry so much for its size and streamlined efficiency--not to mention how light it is! I'm definitely a convert. In the future I will definitely look into a data plan..but currently on a grad student budget.
    02-20-09 08:41 PM
    Yup, I'm currently using the 8900 without a data plan on att. Although I'm hoping to get the data plan soon.
    02-20-09 10:35 PM
    Yes you can use a blackberry perfectly fine without data plan. You won't be able to do push email or any internet but txt, mms and phone should work just fine. Mms depending on carrier. T-Mobile don't need data for mms but txt and phone is a definate yes that you don't need data plan!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-09 10:44 PM
    I believe so, however am not sure. My hubby had a BB something or other for years and only used it for a phone and an alarm clock LOL. Finally the ringer went on it and we went and got him a basic LG phone that he loves and me a BB Curve . I did more with my Curve from the moment I opened the box then he did in owning one for almost 4 years. To each his own........

Whatever fits your needs. I do know however that when we got my Curve AT&T required us to have a data plan which wasn't a problems, since I use it.........it may have been for him a few years ago though. Make sure and check with your carrier directly though. What worked for him years ago, may not be possible now without surcharges and such.

~Jazzi~

Last edited by Jazzi-Rocks; 02-21-09 at 12:10 AM.
    02-21-09 12:08 AM
    You don't need a data plan with AT&T even though instore reps will try to make you.
    02-21-09 08:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";