So a friend had his BB 9700 provisioned and working with BIS Data connection for a year or so on a SIM card provided by his company (again, BIS.. not corporate BES)
    and he recently switched jobs and had to turn the simcard in... went and got himself a new SIM that doesn't yet have BIS subscription.

understandably, all BIS related stuff doesn't work now, but i thought turning on Wi-Fi will get the device on BIS but it doesn't!

with WiFi i can get the hotspot browser to work but nothing else.

all the service books are there, but the Host Routing Table is empty..
    i sent a registration request but got nothing back.

i assumed it would work, as i know some people normally switch sim cards when travelling, so the phone works with the SIM for voice/SMS and they get BIS data over wifi

what am i missing?!
    09-09-10 01:59 AM
    You need to have a BIS subscription to make things work over WiFi. That's how it is.
    09-09-10 02:03 AM
    that's a little too obvious
    still, i'm curious how does it work when you travel, switch sim cards and continue to use BIS over Wi-Fi?
    how is this any different?

the old BIS provisioned sim card isn't cancelled, and the BIS account is active.
    09-09-10 02:20 AM
    that's a little too obvious
    still, i'm curious how does it work when you travel, switch sim cards and continue to use BIS over Wi-Fi?
    how is this any different?

the old BIS provisioned sim card isn't cancelled, and the BIS account is active.
    Haha sorry, I guess I misunderstood you. This is just guess, but I think you also have to have BIS with the carrier you use while traveling. People who have actually done this could give you a better answer.
    09-09-10 02:27 AM
    You will need to get the SIM card provisioned so you can 'Move' the BIS accounts to the new phone. Seeing as you would already have the BIS service books on the phone when you swap, it should allow you to then receive emails over the Wi-Fi connection.
    09-09-10 07:39 AM
    BB Dude: the phone itself was provisioned and used with a BIS plan for nearly a year.
    the PIN and the phone hasn't changed.. just a new simcard was put in.

again, i don't understand how changing sims would stop BIS working on WIFI considering the PIN/Phone is unchanged
    09-09-10 07:44 AM
    Any progress here? I am having the same issue...
    11-09-10 09:08 PM
    Simple answer, whenever you change SIM Cards, your service books and host routing table entries get lost (and those let your BB connect to wi-fi)

What I do on my hybrid cdma/gsm bold to prevent this, is insert the prepaid sim first before going overseas, then switch to cdma to provision it with bis service books then switch back to gsm, enjoy bis over wifi and prepaid calls

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-10 06:13 AM
    Sounds good, but what to do on a non-cdma phone like the Torch?

11-10-10 06:15 AM
    Sounds good, but what to do on a non-cdma phone like the Torch?

Well, you'd have to get another phone to use for calls and keep your provisioned Torch for BIS data, because not even the alt +SBEB service book trick backs up the Host Routing Table info (which is actually what tells your BB how to connect to BIS servers)
    11-10-10 06:49 AM
    That's pretty crappy, because using wifi while travelling was one of my main reasons for switching to the Torch...

11-10-10 06:57 AM
    That's pretty crappy, because using wifi while travelling was one of my main reasons for switching to the Torch...

You can still use wi-fi and surf the web by all means, you just won't have access to BIS (if you put in another SIM)
    11-10-10 09:27 AM
    You can still use wi-fi and surf the web by all means, you just won't have access to BIS (if you put in another SIM)
    Will Google Sync for Calendar and Contacts work with another non-BIS SIM? Will the Gmail app (not BB e-mail app) work without BIS access?
    11-11-10 08:27 AM
    Will Google Sync for Calendar and Contacts work with another non-BIS SIM? Will the Gmail app (not BB e-mail app) work without BIS access?
    they may require a BIS data plan..you can always try putting in generic APN settings for the carrier you're using and give it a shot.
    11-12-10 05:09 AM
    Hmm, so no one has come up with a utility to backup and restore the HRT? What about something like crackutil?

11-14-10 06:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD