I've reserved 1 BlackBerry Z10 & 1 BlackBerry Q10 from Rogers.

Currently we have a Family Plan with 1 Gig of shared data for 2 BlackBerry Bold 9700's & 1 Feature Phone. We use Wi-Fi at home only.

Up until now we've never come close to using 1 Gig in a month but that's probably due in large part to BIS.

Do you think that 1 Gig of shared data will still be enough for 3 phones?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    01-31-13 12:51 PM
    Do you plan on consuming data-heavy content (streaming music/movies)? If you plan to just use the phones for communication (BBM/social media) and light web surfing, then it might be enough.
    01-31-13 01:09 PM
    Virgin Mobile makes it easy to track data usage and has a data calculator that helps determine how much you will require. I would be quite certain that these tools will also be available via Rogers.
    01-31-13 01:20 PM
    Do you plan on consuming data-heavy content (streaming music/movies)? If you plan to just use the phones for communication (BBM/social media) and light web surfing, then it might be enough.
    No plans to stream music or movies. Communication, Social Media/BBM and Web Surfing.

01-31-13 01:35 PM
    Virgin Mobile makes it easy to track data usage and has a data calculator that helps determine how much you will require. I would be quite certain that these tools will also be available via Rogers.
    Rogers has current usage tools but I don't think they have a prediction calculator.

01-31-13 01:39 PM
    I would do 2G.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    01-31-13 02:21 PM
    Rogers has current usage tools but I don't think they have a prediction calculator.

See if this is helpful to you:
    Data Support - Virgin Mobile Canada
    01-31-13 02:35 PM
    I lucked out with a $60, 6Gig plan! I'm hoping that's more than enough for me!
    01-31-13 04:27 PM
    I lucked out with a $60, 6Gig plan! I'm hoping that's more than enough for me!
    i remeber when Bell had a plan like that..i never thought id need that much data but with the BIS leaving us in OS10(rumor??) i wish i would of signed up for it.
    01-31-13 05:51 PM
    Don't stream anything and you should be okay. I streamed the BB10 launch presentation for about 40 minutes yesterday... I used up around 500MB of my 2GB limit. Oops...
    01-31-13 06:04 PM
    My wife and I have unlimited data plans with AT&T and they are grandfathered from way back. We use a lot of data for buisness on our two 9810's now and we do not have BIS or BES set up-we are using pop3 email accounts as it is our business addresses i.e. Jack(at)anybusiness(dot)com. We each do over 100 emails and texts a day for buinsess and a lot for personal so I wonder how AT&T will handle this if we upgrade? I won't give up the unlimited data plan for any new phone as ours work great. Any ideas?
    01-31-13 06:42 PM
    My wife and I have unlimited data plans with AT&T and they are grandfathered from way back. We use a lot of data for buisness on our two 9810's now and we do not have BIS or BES set up-we are using pop3 email accounts as it is our business addresses i.e. Jack(at)anybusiness(dot)com. We each do over 100 emails and texts a day for buinsess and a lot for personal so I wonder how AT&T will handle this if we upgrade? I won't give up the unlimited data plan for any new phone as ours work great. Any ideas?
    If you want to move to new phones, AT&T will most likely lock you out of some features if you roll-over your unlimited plan. For instance, anyone who upgraded to the iPhone 5 with an unlimited plan cannot use the phone as a tethering device or mobile hotspot. A few other features are locked-out as well until you renegotiate your contract.

Once BB10 drops for AT&T, ask them what functionality you would be missing out on if you roll-over your unlimited plan. Take notes on everything they say, and if they say you would lose no functionality, you hold them to it.
    01-31-13 06:52 PM
    I currently have 1gb

-Rogers has told me they are offering me to have 3gb for $10 more

I have a month to decide if i want to take their offer, even with new device already in hand

will be downloading data tracking apps

standard rogers fee is $15 for only 1gb additional on a 1gb plan so this is a good deal.
    01-31-13 06:58 PM
    I was recently in Hawaii and I streamed through my Slingbox three full NBA games to an Android, my total data used was about 3.5 GB, so that might give you some idea.
    01-31-13 07:46 PM
    I was recently in Hawaii and I streamed through my Slingbox three full NBA games to an Android, my total data used was about 3.5 GB, so that might give you some idea.
    thats a lot of data
    01-31-13 07:48 PM
    With one Android, one iPhone and two 9900s I have a 10G data sharing plan with unlimited voice, since I haven't got a land line.
    With all that I barely hit 5G. Will be dropping to 6G soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    02-01-13 02:27 AM
    To me, a smart-phone without a decent plan is like a sports car without wheels - if you aren't going to streaming data, you should get away with 500mb but if you start using services like netflix, spotify etc - you will need a bigger bucket. I'm lucky in that I live in a country where you can get unlimited data very cheaply.
    02-01-13 02:48 AM
    Keep in mind, data compression on already heavily compressed media files is zero. So there should be virtually no difference between the data used within or outside of BIS when watching movies and TV content. Not sure about YouTube but I assume it is compressed to some extent, if not the same amount as movies.
    Also, if you are watching them with a wi-fi connection, it obviously doesn't count towards your data consumption total.
    jakie55 likes this.
    02-01-13 06:09 AM
    Good point, Timmy. Trusted Wi-Fi is gold..
    02-01-13 06:12 AM
    i remeber when Bell had a plan like that..i never thought id need that much data but with the BIS leaving us in OS10(rumor??) i wish i would of signed up for it.
    I have a wireless hotspot. $50 for 10 gigs. Never use much of it - yet.
    02-01-13 06:13 AM
    Which brings me to another question: how is bridging affected by BIS removal? How is the data usage there handled?
    02-01-13 06:20 AM
    Which brings me to another question: how is bridging affected by BIS removal? How is the data usage there handled?
    someone on another forum was saying that the bridge "tethering" effect will now be detectable by carriers. Currently, on legacy BBOS/BIS bridge it shows to them as "blackberry data" with your bridge use. Now, without BIS they can see what you are really up to (tethering off to another device), atleast thats what one guy said.
    Tre Lawrence and QuantumQnx like this.
    02-01-13 08:00 AM
    If you sign up for 1gig I suspect you could always move up to more gigs if needed. Watch your usage carefully first month or two and upgrade if required. If you commit to 2 and only use 1/2 you will be stuck I suspect.

Check with your carrier to ensure you can go up once you know your usuage. No sense paying for more than you need over the length of the contract.
    02-01-13 09:13 AM
    If you're on an AT&T unlimited plan and using a BlackBerry, you have BIS. AT&T's BlackBerry Data Plan is a BIS data plan. They just don't call it BIS on their system or on your bill, and they don't charge extra for it either - never have (none of the big 4 U.S. carriers have). Look next to your network connection type symbol (the 3G, H+ or 4G depending on the OS version, or the Wi-Fi when connected), if you see that little 4-dot BB logo, you're BIS connected.

The pop3 accounts are going through and handled by the BIS. The BIS polls your account every 15 minutes. If something is there, it pushes it to your phone over the BIS connection. It will check again in 2 or 3 minutes and push those if something is there again, and check again in another 2 or 3 minutes. If you get a lot of emails, they will seem to be constantly streaming in. If during the following check, there is nothing there, then it goes back to 15 minutes - until something is there again. Other than a BES or BES Express setup, there is no other way to make it work in BBOS 7 and older - you have either BIS or BES, or you don't get any emails at all using the native device email client (I won't go into third party email clients than can use wi-fi like LogicMail). You can set up, or look at the account settings on your phone, or through the AT&T BIS portal on your computer using the web address: https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=mycingular and using the same login info you use on the phone to get through the email setup.

My wife and I both have grandfathered unlimited plans, too, left over from when we both got Pearl 8100s back in '07. She switched to the iPhone 3G in '09 keeping the unlimited plan (now on an iPhone 4), and I upgraded to the 9800 in '10 keeping my unlimited BlackBerry plan. Still $30 each.

How BIS will work (or not work) in BB10 in the U.S. is not yet known, considering none of the big carriers ever passed the BIS fee on to their customers before. Apparently, the BB10 phone can handle pop3 accounts in-device now (the way iOS and Android have done it). That means that the device is now polling the pop3 email server instead of the BIS. That would mean more battery usage, even if just a little more. Whether that polling increases to every few minutes after getting an email still happens, we don't know. No one with a Z10 in the other threads about BIS have tested the pop3 handling - yet. But, the Z10s have BIS connection capability since almost every BB10 screen shot shown in the last few months had the BIS symbol.

On the positive side, AT&T has let people continue their unlimited data plans even when upgrading to a 4G LTE phone - so it shouldn't be any different for the BB10 phones. It's not as easy when going through a third party dealer online (like through Amazon) or in-person (like at Best-Buy), as they usually only have the currently offered plans available for you (or them) to click through - they can see you have an existing account to allow upgrade pricing, but apparently not what the existing plan is. But, going through the AT&T account site, you will have your existing plan showing, giving you the option to contiue it. That's what my wife did when getting her iPhone 4 just this past summer.
    go1ndr likes this.
    02-01-13 09:41 AM
    If you're on an AT&T unlimited plan and using a BlackBerry, you have BIS. AT&T's BlackBerry Data Plan is a BIS data plan. They just don't call it BIS on their system or on your bill, and they don't charge extra for it either - never have (none of the big 4 U.S. carriers have). Look next to your network connection type symbol (the 3G, H+ or 4G depending on the OS version, or the Wi-Fi when connected), if you see that little 4-dot BB logo, you're BIS connected.

The pop3 accounts are going through and handled by the BIS. The BIS polls your account every 15 minutes. If something is there, it pushes it to your phone over the BIS connection. It will check again in 2 or 3 minutes and push those if something is there again, and check again in another 2 or 3 minutes. If you get a lot of emails, they will seem to be constantly streaming in. If during the following check, there is nothing there, then it goes back to 15 minutes - until something is there again. Other than a BES or BES Express setup, there is no other way to make it work in BBOS 7 and older - you have either BIS or BES, or you don't get any emails at all using the native device email client (I won't go into third party email clients than can use wi-fi like LogicMail). You can set up, or look at the account settings on your phone, or through the AT&T BIS portal on your computer using the web address: https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=mycingular and using the same login info you use on the phone to get through the email setup.

My wife and I both have grandfathered unlimited plans, too, left over from when we both got Pearl 8100s back in '07. She switched to the iPhone 3G in '09 keeping the unlimited plan (now on an iPhone 4), and I upgraded to the 9800 in '10 keeping my unlimited BlackBerry plan. Still $30 each.

How BIS will work (or not work) in BB10 in the U.S. is not yet known, considering none of the big carriers ever passed the BIS fee on to their customers before. Apparently, the BB10 phone can handle pop3 accounts in-device now (the way iOS and Android have done it). That means that the device is now polling the pop3 email server instead of the BIS. That would mean more battery usage, even if just a little more. Whether that polling increases to every few minutes after getting an email still happens, we don't know. No one with a Z10 in the other threads about BIS have tested the pop3 handling - yet. But, the Z10s have BIS connection capability since almost every BB10 screen shot shown in the last few months had the BIS symbol.

On the positive side, AT&T has let people continue their unlimited data plans even when upgrading to a 4G LTE phone - so it shouldn't be any different for the BB10 phones. It's not as easy when going through a third party dealer online (like through Amazon) or in-person (like at Best-Buy), as they usually only have the currently offered plans available for you (or them) to click through - they can see you have an existing account to allow upgrade pricing, but apparently not what the existing plan is. But, going through the AT&T account site, you will have your existing plan showing, giving you the option to contiue it. That's what my wife did when getting her iPhone 4 just this past summer.
    Wait so BlackBerry 10 may have BIS after all? If so that would be great news for me!

I was under the impression that there was no BIS on BlackBerry 10, only BES.

02-01-13 10:21 AM
41 12