There's an article on the Crackberry front page about the Yale Living Lock. It uses a keypad, capacitive touchscreen or NFC to unlock. I've been in some interesting industries long enough to wonder about it.

We all know about worn numbers on a keypad or skin oil marks on a touch screen telling what numbers or areas are used most. And there are all kinds of horror stories of credit cards being scanned for their info, then cloned and used by unauthorized people.

If you look up NFC and read a bit, you find out that normal use is between two devices 10 cm apart. BUT, with the right equipment, that "conversation" can be intercepted up to 30'-40' away. Also, a third party can disrupt the communications, distort them, modify them. There are security measures being worked on to fix that. But, even then, if something goes wrong with those measures, is convenience worth the potential risk to home, family and belongings?
    01-14-12 11:44 AM
    I dunno. I'm always surprised when people worry about unauthorized credit card transactions when they're only liable for the first $50. I myself don't have NFC technology on my BlackBerry, but I am security conscious, and I've made sure my Bluetooth settings don't allow any unauthorized transmissions. I suppose the same could be done with NFC.
    01-14-12 12:29 PM
    As far as I know, NFC is encrypted and enhanced bluetooth.
    01-14-12 01:29 PM
    As far as I know, NFC is encrypted and enhanced bluetooth.
    But, from everything I've read, far from unbreakable.
    01-14-12 02:33 PM
    How rich or famous would you have to be for high-tech burglars to target you for this?

How easy is it to lose your house keys?

I'm not saying that the NFC solution is perfect, but I'm inclined to think the risk of being hacked or intercepted is no greater than other burglary risks.
    01-14-12 11:47 PM
    How rich or famous would you have to be for high-tech burglars to target you for this?

How easy is it to lose your house keys?

I'm not saying that the NFC solution is perfect, but I'm inclined to think the risk of being hacked or intercepted is no greater than other burglary risks.
    I wouldn't expect it'd take too upscale a neighborhood to be of interest. And an unsavory tech who knows you got it installed.

I haven't lost my keys in over 40 years.

No, not any greater than any other method. But, with the right equipment, you look like you're bringing a package, a gift, groceries, while electronically playing with the lock. Less notable than trying to make a key there for the deadbolt.
    01-15-12 12:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD