Looks like NFC is considered DOA according to people who claim ibeacon is the wave of the future. What do you think? As an android user I don't think NFC is DOA but rather ibeacon is DOA along with apples market share.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 12-23-13 at 07:15 AM. Reason: trollish
    12-23-13 12:10 AM
    It may be, it may not be. Sure they will claim the thing they can use is better. I actually see how not needing tags can be a benefit, but at some point NFC will be a proper standard tat can be used by ANY device while iBeacon... will only work with Apple devices.
    eddy_berry, eldricho and 21stNow like this.
    12-23-13 12:14 AM
    NFC hasn't quite got the universal adoption as some probably would've hoped. I've owned 3 phones and 2 tablets now with NFC, and I can say I've never had the opportunity to use it even once (other than between each other). Ironically, I think what NFC needs to give it a shot in the arm is for Apple to adopt it. They've shown that they're great at mainstreaming technology.
    21stNow likes this.
    12-23-13 12:34 AM
    I'm thinking no. We may see it as a new alternative but it would have to prove to be useful in a lot of different retail environments. NFC payments is just a payment option and it is already almost everywhere you go. I don't see iBeacon being very cost effective right now, or ever really. NFC will own the mobile payment landscape for the foreseeable future. It is infrastructure and market saturation that will guide adoption of this kind of new tech. As long as I am talking mobile payments, security will have to be proven without a doubt. As for mobile file transfers and things like that iBeacon (using BT4.0) will have its obvious advantages, but it would need to be adopted by other platforms and have a wider cross platform market to be viable. Perhaps something without an 'i' in front of it that would change that. I just don't see iBeacon taking off until that happens.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 12:40 AM
    NFC is used a lot outside of North America, so I'd say that -- no -- NFC is not DOA.

Also, the fact that chains like Tim Hortons now allow you to make NFC purchases says to me that NFC is just starting to ramp up and not DOA at all.

CB10 : Z10 STL100-3 10.2.0.1803
    12-23-13 01:27 AM
    I'm curious. Just where is this claim being made?
    12-23-13 07:18 AM
    Why the incessant threads OP trying to start a flame war? And to answer your question I don't find NFC useful at all and your claims are largely unfounded. The first thing you should do on the Z10 is turn off NFC because it kills the battery.
    avt123 likes this.
    12-23-13 07:28 AM
    Lol. It my gf leaves it on because she doesn't feel it has a huge enough impact on the battery.

Btw my gf and I love nfc and use it to share things between our phones and I also have a sound bar that uses nfc and I find it very useful. Something I don't see ibeacon doing anytime soon.
    12-23-13 07:37 AM
    I'm curious. Just where is this claim being made?
    It's a straw man. I don't think there are people at Apple who think iBeacon makes NFC obsolete.

Both technologies, I think, will have their place.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    avt123 likes this.
    12-23-13 07:45 AM
    Really depends on how mobile payments come along with nfc. If people flock to it, it'll thrive.
    12-23-13 07:52 AM
    Why the incessant threads OP trying to start a flame war? And to answer your question I don't find NFC useful at all and your claims are largely unfounded. The first thing you should do on the Z10 is turn off NFC because it kills the battery.
    I am not trying to start anything as some iphone users said NFC is DOA and i think that was ridiculous and wanted to see what others thought. Your claims that I am starting a fan war are largely unfounded and defamatory. It is you who is provoking and I will have ignore you.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 07:54 AM
    I love NFC and the convenience that its usage brings but to be honest, I think that NFC was dead on arrival. I bought my first NFC-enabled Android phone in December 2010. The software wasn't available for consistent use until November 2011. That meets my definition of literally being dead on arrival.

I do think that it can be revived, though. I have used NFC for tap-to-pay and I use tags to execute repeated tasks. I use NFC primarily on Android phones as none of the Windows Phones that I have had had NFC capabilities. I couldn't figure out how to get NFC to work on legacy BlackBerry devices and I am just getting back to BlackBerry 10. I hope that NFC is more useful to me on 10.2 than it was on 10.0 (the last time I tried to use it).

Unfortunately none of the people that I know with NFC-enabled phones actually use NFC, so I haven't been able to exchange files between phones that were not my own.
    12-23-13 07:55 AM
    NFC for file transfers do not use NFC in most cases... It uses Bluetooth on most devices, and that's part of the issue why a lot of people don't use it. If you're transferring a large file unless you happen to have a Samsung device and are transferring to/from a Samsung device the BT connection will be slow because hardly any devices have BT +HS on them. Additionally, there are range issues with BT that other protocols don't have.

NFC is nice as a pairing mechanism, and for mobile payments if you're into that and do not have a heavy duty case on your phone (an Otterbox Commuter/Defender will definitely cause issues with NFC connections on a lot of devices, for example).

All the innovation in transfers are being done over Wi-Fi protocols. S Beam uses Wi-Fi Direct. AirPlay uses BT and Wi-Fi. I never used Beaming on Android until friends started getting Samsung Devices with S Beam, because it was not worth using to transfer video files and multiple full-resolution photos. It was just too slow, so I never used "Android Beam." Wi-Fi Direct also has about 3x the range of BT and is about 20x faster... 200MB file in ~1 minute? Yes, please...

Now that devices can multi-connect, I don't see a point in using NFC + BT for a majority of those use cases. I use it for pairing - sometimes - and that's it (since I got the 4.3 update I can set up Group Play groups and Screen Share/Share Media/etc. with even less hassle). I uninstalled the Isis app from my phone because it's a bloated mess now and I can't be taking my phone out of the case just to use this all the time. Convenience matters. Not gonna use it, don't need to have it...

I've actually checked into numerous flights with QR codes, etc. so at this point I rather use that an NFC, TBQH. It is a bit more reliable and I get to avoid undressing my phone every time I walk into the place where I need to use it.
    12-23-13 09:10 AM