Hello all,

So I was standing in McDonalds the other day when a girl payed for her order using NFC on her smartphone. My thought was.............hey, I'm the blackberry geek here!!!! I have been outgunned by a teenage girl!!!

Having tried to look this up quite unsuccessfully, I have turned to you guys. To cut a long story short, at this moment, all I want to do is to be able to pay for stuff on my Bold 9900 using NFC. I realize it has other uses but this is what I want it for.

I have configured NFC with my paypal account. So what are my next steps?

Thanks in advance

Alan
    07-31-12 06:54 AM
    Hey Alan,

Welcome to CB. That I would like to know as well.

I did not know we can link our 9900's to paypal

This NFC business is painfully difficult to find out about. I started a thread a while back on this same thing.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...2012-a-733955/
    07-31-12 07:23 AM
    Sorry, I didn't technically configure NFC for PayPal specifically. I configured PayPal within Options, Device, Payment & Billing............somehow believing it would all work together.

Agreed, it has been very difficult to find out how to do this. Maybe the android phones are the only ones that can do it in McDonalds!!!!!!
    07-31-12 07:31 AM
    Sorry, I didn't technically configure NFC for PayPal specifically. I configured PayPal within Options, Device, Payment & Billing............somehow believing it would all work together.

Agreed, it has been very difficult to find out how to do this. Maybe the android phones are the only ones that can do it in McDonalds!!!!!!
    That's cool. I guess the payment side of NFC will explode over night being fuelled by androids or iphones (if the ip5 will have NFC). Its a shame as BB's have had nfc for about a year now (9900 launch).

We could just move to Japan where NFC is big there and buy things like live crabs from their vending machines hehe.
    07-31-12 07:38 AM
    Did the girl have an nfc enabled sticker attached to her phone?
    07-31-12 07:46 AM
    Did the girl have an nfc enabled sticker attached to her phone?
    It seems she had a Barclays paytag sticker.....

McDonald
    07-31-12 07:52 AM
    NFC will take off as soon as the carriers figure out a way to get their skim off it. Of course it will probably be after it's on an iPhone, and everybody will forget that a BlackBerry had it a year earlier. I'd bet a vital organ or two that Apple has something to do with the slow uptake of NFC by the carriers.
    07-31-12 08:12 AM
    Vital organ would be the financial institutions. Who have yet to figure out the best way to profit. NFC is being used all over the world. Iphone having or not having NFC has very little to do with rapid adoption of nfc, otherwise Googlewallet would rule the mobile payment market

Sent from the ether...
    Last edited by Oniberry; 07-31-12 at 08:53 AM.
    07-31-12 08:49 AM
    It seems she had a Barclays paytag sticker.....

McDonald
    She could also have been using google wallet - in theory it's not available in the UK for contactless payment but people have registered US credit cards to use it - someone over at XDA-developers mentioned that they had used their Nexus 7 to pay in a McDonald's in this way.

While contactless payment is interesting, NFC is also interesting to me because of things like this.
    Last edited by cgk; 07-31-12 at 09:10 AM.
    07-31-12 09:07 AM
    NFC will take off as soon as the carriers figure out a way to get their skim off it. Of course it will probably be after it's on an iPhone, and everybody will forget that a BlackBerry had it a year earlier. I'd bet a vital organ or two that Apple has something to do with the slow uptake of NFC by the carriers.
    I think Samsung had the first commercial NFC phone and then Nokia released a few?
    07-31-12 09:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD