Now that we have a living and breathing Android BlackBerry caught on video what happens to the android runtime that exists in bb10? Will BlackBerry have to give up on development? Will BlackBerry remove it from the next update? Or does BlackBerry continue with the runtime and bring a update to lollipop or marshmallow?

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 01:21 PM
    Android is, at its core, open source, so no, BB isn't under any obligation to drop it.
    09-18-15 01:22 PM
    Wish I knew the correct answer

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 01:22 PM
    At this point, we would all be guessing, right?

My guess is that BB will not invest any more money into the runtime. I don't think they will pull it, or officially deprecate it, but they'll just have no one actually working on it anymore. So no lollipop.
    domokeats09 likes this.
    09-18-15 01:23 PM
    Android is, at its core, open source, so no, BB isn't under any obligation to drop it.
    We saw Google Services running on Venice on the video, so that raises questions, innit?!

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 01:24 PM
    Googles OHA guidelines may dictate what happens to the runtime.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 01:38 PM
    Assuming BB has joined the OHA and licensed Google Play Service and the Google Play Store for Venice, then they are in fact contractually obligated to drop it.

If Venice is ASOP Android without Google Play Services (and such a device would be absolutely pointless to make if you hope to have any sales), then you'd be right - there would be no obligation to drop the runtime on BB10.

The OHA, and the GPS license terms, prohibit members from making devices, for themselves or for others, that use non-certified Android code, and that would include the BB10 runtime.
    09-18-15 01:40 PM
    In your scenario, I assume the runtime will continue to work as long as one doesn't accept any updates? I wonder if Google will also decide to crack down in Snap and Cobalt's workaround?

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 02:23 PM
    Assuming BB has joined the OHA and licensed Google Play Service and the Google Play Store for Venice, then they are in fact contractually obligated to drop it.

If Venice is ASOP Android without Google Play Services (and such a device would be absolutely pointless to make if you hope to have any sales), then you'd be right - there would be no obligation to drop the runtime on BB10.

The OHA, and the GPS license terms, prohibit members from making devices, for themselves or for others, that use non-certified Android code, and that would include the BB10 runtime.
    I mean Google can re-write it's terms however it wants. They could also "certify" the runtime if they wanted too. They have complete discretion as far as I know.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 03:05 PM
    I mean Google can re-write it's terms however it wants. They could also "certify" the runtime if they wanted too. They have complete discretion as far as I know.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, they do, and they have bent the rules before (they gave a Cyanogen OS OHA certification last year).
    igor10000 likes this.
    09-18-15 06:33 PM
    They didn't bend any rules for Cyanogen - Cyanogen is ANDROID. Sure, it's a customized version of Android, but it's still Android, and can pass the Compatibility tests.

The BB10 Runtime is Android code (enough to be a problem under OHA), but it isn't going to pass Compatibility tests, because one of those tests/requirements is that the device is running exclusively Android.

I know that's not what some folks here want to believe, but that's the reality. Google isn't going to jeopardize it's entire Android business, and its agreements with over 200+ hardware partners, to allow BB to break the rules. I'm not even sure how folks here could convince themselves otherwise - it simply doesn't pass the "common sense" test.
    09-18-15 08:26 PM
    I'm not even sure how folks here could convince themselves otherwise - it simply doesn't pass the "common sense" test.
    I know you're not, but you really do sound like you're new here.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 08:57 PM
    I wouldn't mind if Google treated BB10 like iOS and grant it Google apps...
    09-18-15 09:13 PM
    I wouldn't mind if Google treated BB10 like iOS and grant it Google apps...
    I wouldn't mind if Scarlett Johansson would cook me a steak dinner, but they're equally likely.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 09:16 PM
    Nothing will change with the runtime as some here have been predicting doomsday. Personally I don't care if it goes away but it won't. Business as usual there.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 09:22 PM
    I wouldn't mind if Scarlett Johansson would cook me a steak dinner, but they're equally likely.

Posted via CB10
    Mmmmmm.... Steak!!
    DrBoomBotz and TGR1 like this.
    09-18-15 09:26 PM
    I think the best solution is to NOT use Android.
    lift likes this.
    09-18-15 09:58 PM
    I think this is a result of the Samsung knox partnership. So with that being said it's just a device to market towards that offering of BES. We will stil have bb10 and what not meaning android runtime. Shoot on inside BlackBerry they confirmed that they were still working on a new OS update for 10.3 if I remember.
    Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 10:50 PM
    If I had to guess -- conjecture on my part -- BB10 will be OHA-certified because it would be foolish not to.

Existing BB10 devices remain, and no runtime in any upcoming BB10 devices.
    ptpete likes this.
    09-18-15 10:57 PM

You work at Google right ?

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 11:05 PM
    My guess is that they will slowly run out of their BB10 inventory for consumers and will offer only pure BB10 models via online stores.

Android will be extended to the Classic and Passport. Hopefully they will make an Android all touch .

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    09-18-15 11:25 PM
    There is no point even discussing this (again). The OHA police on this forum will shoot you down if you even start thinking something out of the box.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 11:39 PM
    There is no point even discussing this (again). The OHA police on this forum will shoot you down if you even start thinking something out of the box.

Posted via CB10
    Here's my analogy, and how this argument always goes:

Right now, as the rules exist, theft is illegal.

"Outside of Box People (OBP)": let's steal a car
    "OHA police (OHAP)": you can't, it's illegal

OBP: ok, let's steal a TV then
    OHAP: you can't, it's illegal

OBP: fine, then let's steal jewellery (getting increasingly mad)
    OHAP: you can't, it's illegal (getting increasingly frustrated)

OBP: we should just negotiate to make theft legal - problem solved
    OHAP: ok, but infinitely more influential and important people than we will ever be have tried and failed to accomplish that
    OBP: Chen is stupid, BlackBerry is dumb. Android sucks.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    Last edited by conite; 09-19-15 at 10:29 AM.
    09-19-15 07:48 AM
    Here's my analogy, and how this argument always goes:

Right now, as the rules exist, theft is illegal.

"Outside of Box People (OBP)": let's steal a car
    "OHA police (OHAP)": you can't, it's illegal

OBP: ok, let's steal a TV then
    OHAP: you can't, it's illegal

OBP: fine, then let's steal jewellery (getting increasing mad)
    OHAP: you can't, it's illegal (getting increasingly frustrated)

OBP: we should just negotiate to make theft legal - problem solved
    OHAP: ok, but infinitely more influential and important people than we will ever be have tried and failed to accomplish that
    OBP: Chen is stupid, BlackBerry is dumb. Android sucks.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    Or you could ask to borrow the car, or even better "rent" it.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 07:52 AM
    What about Samsung? Is it possible that the Venice is a "Samsung" phone that's simply "Secured by BlackBerry"? Wouldn't that eliminate all these issues? I mean they are partners right?

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 07:54 AM
90 123 ...