Hello everyone,

Former hardcore Crackberry user here, most recent few years moved to Android devices and still desperately miss my physical keyboard.

I'm not bothered by the Priv, but recently saw this video of a Passport running full Android operating system. How likely do you Crackberry'ers think it is that they'll release a new generation of Passport running Android a bit like the Priv?
    That would convert me back in a flash.

10-04-15 11:20 AM
    Yeah, video been out for awhile. Honestly, if the Priv does well, then, who knows. It could possibly happen. Some would love it while others would be ticked off- especially if their Passport is not that old.
    10-04-15 11:33 AM
    I've seen that before, and I'm hoping that it won't come into production.
    10-04-15 06:30 PM
    Hello everyone,

Former hardcore Crackberry user here, most recent few years moved to Android devices and still desperately miss my physical keyboard.

I'm not bothered by the Priv, but recently saw this video of a Passport running full Android operating system. How likely do you Crackberry'ers think it is that they'll release a new generation of Passport running Android a bit like the Priv?
    That would convert me back in a flash.

Guess you forgot how to use the search function.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...lipop-1041006/
    10-04-15 08:51 PM
    Well they are not making more bb10 phones. So I suspect passport 2 if priv is sucessful will be android.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-15 10:14 PM
    It is rumoured that BlackBerry is satisfied with Passport as it is, so no. It's unlikely that there'll be further development whatsoever.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    10-04-15 11:08 PM
    That depends. Which phone sells more, the Classic or Passport? An all touch version of the PRIV or even of the Passport would sell better than the Passport. IMO.

PKB phones are not in demand.

Notwithstanding that all touch is what the market wants, I think that BlackBerry should make an Android version of the Passport. They do not seem to want to invest any more money in BB10 hardware. Personally, I would love to try a upgraded Classic running Android.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 08:52 AM
    That depends. Which phone sells more, the Classic or Passport? An all touch version of the PRIV or even of the Passport would sell better than the Passport. IMO.

PKB phones are not in demand.

Posted via CB10
    Initially I think it would be natural for the Passport to be re-released using the PRIV hardware and the Android OS.... very little design work or development cost. But yeah it would be a 100% PKB device, which so far no one has really show is a viable market.

But then I really think BlackBerry would be better off releasing a low end device - depending on the minimum hardware requirements of the BlackBerry Experience. Most of BlackBerry's biggest user base was in developing markets, if they could release a $200 Q5 with Android, there might be more opportunity there for marketshare (no a huge amount of profits) increases.
    10-05-15 09:10 AM
    If they make next exposed PKB device including Passport run Android and keep Triangle, Circle, Square buttons on screen instead of dedicated hardware keys it would be automatic fail.
    10-05-15 09:14 AM
    Initially I think it would be natural for the Passport to be re-released using the PRIV hardware and the Android OS.... very little design work or development cost. But yeah it would be a 100% PKB device, which so far no one has really show is a viable market.

But then I really think BlackBerry would be better off releasing a low end device - depending on the minimum hardware requirements of the BlackBerry Experience. Most of BlackBerry's biggest user base was in developing markets, if they could release a $200 Q5 with Android, there might be more opportunity there for marketshare (no a huge amount of profits) increases.
    The small screened Q5 would need to be priced at about 100 dollars or less to sell. Maybe about 75. The reality is that all touch phones have larger screen, cheap to build and are more reliable. That being said, I think there is still a niche market for high end PKB's. Just do not expect large sales.

I have no problem paying a premium price for a PKB if I am getting a premium phone. The Passport would not sell more devices if it was cheaper and the Classic would sell more devices had it been better. What I am saying is that those who want the PRIV will only want it because of the PKB option and others will not buy it because they have no need for the PKB.

Strangely enough, I would like to see a upgraded 9900 running Android. I loved that phone but the OS let me down.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 10:26 AM
    The small screened Q5 would need to be priced at about 100 dollars or less to sell. Maybe about 75. The reality is that all touch phones have larger screen, cheap to build and are more reliable. That being said, I think there is still a niche market for high end PKB's. Just do not expect large sales.

I have no problem paying a premium price for a PKB if I am getting a premium phone. The Passport would not sell more devices if it was cheaper and the Classic would sell more devices had it been better. What I am saying is that those who want the PRIV will only want it because of the PKB option and others will not buy it because they have no need for the PKB.

Strangely enough, I would like to see a upgraded 9900 running Android. I loved that phone but the OS let me down.

Posted via CB10
    I agree... I just think there is a following in some markets that will not pay for a premium PKB device. When the average price of all Android phones sold is only $250... I think BlackBerry has got to offer those "developing market" past customers something that isn't overboard. And again if they want a PKB, they'll have to pay a little more than the rest of the all touch market.

That's IF there is any market for PKB devices at all...... If there isn't really a market for PKB devices, then there really isn't a point to stay in hardware.
    10-05-15 10:49 AM
    If they do an Android PKB I think BlackBerry would be best served doing so in the Classic form factor with beast specifications. Makes sense with track pad for Android home button functions and for a greater audience. I dig my Passport but the form factor is not for the masses.

Z30 wickedness
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-05-15 01:16 PM