The next-generation Blackberries are just around the corner. With these arrivals come another arrival in the form of big sales on the previous Blackberry models.

While I am not in the market for a phone, I did see super bargains being flashed constantly, and I will admit, I am extremely tempted! For instance, ATT is selling the Torch for a cent with a 2 year plan! Sure, the Torch 2 will arrive in a month or so, but with this deal, its almost being handed a phone for free. For me, this is essentially a steal, especially if you don't mind having a phone that isn't the "latest and greatest".

I am curious to see the responses on the forum: Are you planning to get a next-generation Blackberry or will you take advantage of the deep discounts on the older models?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-11 12:52 AM
    To me, a phone is a pretty serious investment; one that can easily justify $200 of my money. I am one of those people interested in being up-to-date - for myself, not status or anything like that, I just like electronics - but even if I wasn't, I'd put down the money because a phone is something that is with me, in use, twenty-four-seven.
    07-28-11 02:02 AM
    Like you, a phone, for me, is important, especially since I use mine for business aspects. However, knowing that technology constantly changes, and thus, quickly loses value, its something I would not spend too much money on.

07-28-11 01:11 PM
    I'm sticking with my S2. I've heard that the new Storm3/Torch/Monaco/Monza/Whatever will have raised buttons and flat buttons like the S2. I don't like the raised buttons on that particular version of the Monaco.

Hearing that both versions will be coming to GSM and CDMA carriers has me wondering who is going to get what. Rumor was the raised buttons was going GSM and the flat one was going CDMA, then in the next thread, it was opposite. If the raised buttons version of the Monaco comes to Verizon, I'll hold off until QNX. My S2 works fine for me.
    07-28-11 01:30 PM
    My three years with my carrier are up next month. I suspect I will be tempted to re-up with a new Bold.

Part of the consideration will be continued UMA support for use in my low signal strength home.

My trusty Pearl will join the stack of trouble shooting aids, and backup, just in case.
    07-28-11 03:34 PM
    For my wife, I took advantage of the discounts and got her a Curve 3g for $10. Price is after $100 mail in rebate and is down from the previous $30 after rebate.

It will serve her needs perfectly for quite a while.

For me, I will get a new model as soon as I can. Depends on release date, price, and the availibility of funds. I have no problem waiting for a while if I have to. My 9650 is working just fine.

07-28-11 03:47 PM
    I would just take what was available and use it until it failed to operate at all entirely (run it to the ground), that's how I roll. I don't need the latest greatest or newest of anything.

07-28-11 04:52 PM
    My current BlackBerry was obtained in the manner you describe. I got it for $49 with a two-year re-up of my contract. That was September of 2009. I wish I hadn't become needlessly disillusioned with the device just a year later...that led me to get a Palm Pre Plus for only $29 with a two-year re-up. If you think the Storm creates disillusionment, try living with the Pre Plus...a toy phone compared to ANY BlackBerry. Now I'm locked into the Storm/Pre Plus until September of 2012.

Still, I am enjoying the Storm more than one would think at this point of its life. But, I won't go with a generation(s)-old phone when my contract's up simply to save a few bucks...unless it's an off-contract phone that won't require a plan renewal. Cellular contracts are the devil!
    07-28-11 06:02 PM
    Cellular contracts are the devil!
    For the most part, I agree :-) With Virgin Mobile, there is no contract, so I can change my plan every month. If I need to talk a lot the following month, I can change my plan to unlimited talk. If I know I will talk very little, I can switch to a lower talk allowance. It's extremely convenient, flexible and cost effective.

While contracted plans tie you up for years, they aren't necessarily hellish. The key is thoroughly planning everything out before signing up. That way, the consumer gets the last laugh.

07-28-11 11:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD