Hello all,

I am currently using a windows phone, but will be selling it and getting a new phone. I am looking to also get a tablet. Unfortunately Microsoft doesnt sell tablets yet at a reasonable price. I used to have the Blackberry Tour, and enjoyed it, but ultimately the slow internet browswer, slowness of the phone and the lack of apps drew me away. As I have recently seen the Blackberry Bold online and the reduced price in the Blackberry Playbook, I am thinking of possibly getting these. Can I get everyones honest opionons on both?

Here are my concerns:

1. As with Microsoft and Windows Phone, whats the direction of the company? Blackberry from what I have seen is losing numbers in recent com score updates. Is this them losing people or just more people entering the market? Who knows! Are you guys here still optimistic for RIM and the blackberry phone? Why or why not. I just dont want to invest money in a phone where the OS will be dead soon like HP!

2. As for the tablet, whats the outlook on it? I saw the recent price slash and that does make me wonder. Is it just like the HP Touchpad where they will eventually have a firesale? Is there a PB 2 on the way for sure? If I were to buy one of these would it be supported for the next few years? Again do not want to get something that is not supported!

3. Apps, how will this change? I do enjoy the occassional gaming on my phone and back when I had my tour there were not many at all. Whats everyones thoughts in the app department?

4. Anything else you want to add!

I am sure some of this has been posted elsewhere but I could not find most. Sorry if this has been posted before too! Really do look forward to hearing everyones thoughs and possibly persuading me back to the keyboard

Thanks!
    01-06-12 03:12 PM
    1. Remember Apple and Palm when it was bad news after another. RIM is there. Can't say which route RIM will go. I think the Playbook is an amazing piece of hardware, but the OS isn't as optimized as the iPad's iOS. I still love it. BBOS 7 is on it's last year. The end of this year will bring in a new OS called BBOS 10 which will have the least number of native apps then then other mobile platforms, even Windows.

2. For $250 for a 64GB, it's a great deal. Get it, next month, unless RIM pulls a RIM, we should have a lot more apps available through Android portability. Who knows which ones will actually be ported over.

3. There are some really awesome games on the Playbook. Not so awesome on the phones imho. App department is one reason I really hate being with RIM. According to my developer friends, the OS on their phones are too hard to code for, and they've just stopped trying. In Canada, RIM's home country, you have way more apps for public services, museums, etc for the iPhone then for the BlackBerry. That's even taking account that BlackBerry's are still more popular here. This is completely different for the Playbook, my developer friend has said it is very friendly to code for, but developers don't see the millions of users to justify spending time/money to code for it. So right now, I believe there are about 6k apps or so. A few are very very good, most are meh. Hopefully this Android port will help with the app count, but who knows.

4. You like keyboards, get a Bold 9900/9930. You don't, get something else. The new BlackBerry OS is going to run on an all touch screen phone if you believe current rumours. I used to push everyone towards BlackBerry's. 3 years ago, there was a good reason for that. Now, I can't remember why (although I'm a stubborn user myself)

01-06-12 04:04 PM
    Ok thank you for your unbiased thoughts. So There is a chance that the new Blackberry bold will support BB OS 10?
    01-06-12 04:09 PM
    Ok thank you for your unbiased thoughts. So There is a chance that the new Blackberry bold will support BB OS 10?
    Highly doubtful. BB10 devices will be dual-core processors, which the 99xx series is not. When the BB10 device(s) comes out late this year, it will be an entirely new beast.
    01-06-12 04:17 PM
    No os10 won't run on anything out now. It will be new devices with lte chipsets. The chipsets being push behind is the suppose reason why os10 isn't coming out until laterbin the year.
    I mean really the os7 devices are really nice. Rim has addressed the issues that blackberry users has had. The browser it crisp and the devices are running 1.2ghz processors. And gpus for graphics. Which look great I might add.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-12 04:24 PM
    What is the potential release date for BB OS 10 and the new devices? I am guessing this goes for the playbook as well? It wont support BB OS 10 or is it on a different OS?
    01-06-12 04:27 PM
    Sept. Maybe. PB runs on a different os. I dunno what the difference in qnx and os10 will be if any.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-12 06:15 PM
    Hello all,

I am currently using a windows phone, but will be selling it and getting a new phone. I am looking to also get a tablet. Unfortunately Microsoft doesnt sell tablets yet at a reasonable price. I used to have the Blackberry Tour, and enjoyed it, but ultimately the slow internet browswer, slowness of the phone and the lack of apps drew me away. As I have recently seen the Blackberry Bold online and the reduced price in the Blackberry Playbook, I am thinking of possibly getting these. Can I get everyones honest opionons on both?

Here are my concerns:

1. As with Microsoft and Windows Phone, whats the direction of the company? Blackberry from what I have seen is losing numbers in recent com score updates. Is this them losing people or just more people entering the market? Who knows! Are you guys here still optimistic for RIM and the blackberry phone? Why or why not. I just dont want to invest money in a phone where the OS will be dead soon like HP!

2. As for the tablet, whats the outlook on it? I saw the recent price slash and that does make me wonder. Is it just like the HP Touchpad where they will eventually have a firesale? Is there a PB 2 on the way for sure? If I were to buy one of these would it be supported for the next few years? Again do not want to get something that is not supported!

3. Apps, how will this change? I do enjoy the occassional gaming on my phone and back when I had my tour there were not many at all. Whats everyones thoughts in the app department?

4. Anything else you want to add!

I am sure some of this has been posted elsewhere but I could not find most. Sorry if this has been posted before too! Really do look forward to hearing everyones thoughs and possibly persuading me back to the keyboard

Thanks!
    1. RIM is going downhill right now, that can't be denied, but they could always turn it around when the new Operating System is released. The new OS won't even be released until around next Christmas so right now it's too early to predict what the future holds.

2. The tablet has its positive reviews and negative reviews. Positives are the BlackBerry Bridge, gestures and multitasking, while the negatives are its lack for apps that should be standard such as email and calendar (scheduled to be released in February, but with their track record it may take longer). Another thing is its small size which can be either a positive or negative. It's easy to carry around, but you don't have as much screen real estate for browsing, movies, etc.

3. I'm not going to sugar coat this one. There are hardly any apps, and many of the apps on the BB App World are complete crap. This is one of the main areas where RIM is falling behind and right now. The PlayBook has a few games such as Angry Birds and Need for Speed, but it's absolutely nothing compared to the selection on the iPad. If it's apps that you're looking for then a BlackBerry is the wrong choice.

Another thing to mention that the current version of BlackBerry OS WILL be dead next year. Any phone that you would purchase now will not be compatible with BlackBerry OS 10. It's not like your phone will stop working, but many people prefer to have the latest thing.
    01-06-12 09:31 PM
    What is the potential release date for BB OS 10 and the new devices? I am guessing this goes for the playbook as well? It wont support BB OS 10 or is it on a different OS?
    BB OS 10 will be released around Christmas next year at the earliest on the new devices that RIM announces alongside it. As of now the PlayBook runs a different OS, but from my understanding they will merge to both run BB OS 10.
    01-06-12 09:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD