Hi all, I'm new to this forum and blackberry. I hope you guys don't mind giving me a little help

I'm planning renew my AT&T 2-years contract and purchase a Blackberry Pearl 8110 for $99.99. I want to be able to use all features that Blackberry has.

My questions are:

- Do I have to purchase AT&T Blackberry Personal Plan ($30/month) unlimited data? or can I use MEDIA MAX 200 data for regular cellphone ($19.99) which I currently has and works fine with my unlocked iPhone (emails, web browsing, etc).

AT&T customer service said that this regular plan won't work with blackberry, but I doubt it since they said the same thing for iPhone but it works for my unlocked iPhone. Is there any of you who use AT&T MEDIA MAX instead of Blackberry Personal Plan? I compare both of them, they pretty much the same but MEDIA MAX is $10 cheaper/month.

Anyone?
    05-28-08 12:07 AM
    RIM, the makers of BlackBerry, run their own network which supports some of the network for BlackBerrys. So, if you want to use all the features of your BlackBerry you need to go with that more expensive plan. Otherwise you won't get to enjoy email push or BB messenger, just to name a couple.
    05-28-08 12:11 AM
    If you are going to get a BB, only get a BB data plan. You will not get the true functionality with out it.
    05-28-08 12:13 AM
    I see, thanks ppl
    05-28-08 09:03 AM
    The blackberry unlimited plan will allow the BlackBerry servers to send you your emails.
    Its not just another gimmick made up by the cell carriers to get more of your money, but a necessary option to get the full use out of your BlackBerry.
    Otherwise you just have another 'dumb' smartphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-08 11:26 AM
    Enjoy and welcome to CB.
    05-28-08 11:37 AM
    A friend of mine had a 20MB data plan. He used Opera Mini as his browser and the GMail application for email.

Of course, shortly after I got my 8320 complete with BIS he saw the light first-hand and upgraded, but he had to get a txt msg plan, too.
    05-28-08 11:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD