Hey all, as the title reads, I am a newbie. In fact, this is my first post and I am holding out for the BOLD

I have a couple questions, sorry if they are "newbie" questions, I promise to get the hang of this sooner than later

1) At home I don't have great cell reception. I bounce between 0 bars and 2 bars. With the BB Bold having WiFi and me having a wireless network at home for my PC's, can the Bold feed off the wireless network for a stronger signal both for the voice ( phone calls) and internet via the Bold?

2) Is it possible to prevent the BB Bold to receive email when I am at home and only use this feature when I am on the road? I rather it not gather email when I am doing it from the PC.

I know one or both of these questions may not be answered since the Bold hasn't been released yet, just thought I would throw the questions out there.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and I am excited to be apart of this great forum!

Brian
    05-18-08 01:41 PM
    Welcome to CB. I don't know the answers to your questions, but I bet someone on here does.
    05-18-08 01:45 PM
    Have you contacted AT&T tech dept about your signal strength problem?
    05-18-08 01:56 PM
    Well cell reception doesn't improve because of wireless networking, in some cases, it can be worse.... but since the bold will have wifi, their is a strong chance that T-Mobile will offer the hot spot at home service, which uses your wireless network to make calls.. but u might be sacrificing your 3G because T-Mobile is still establishing its 3G service which is only available in New York at the Moment..

As For Your Email Issue, I am not completely sure thats possible.

Hope This Helps.
    Welcome to the Crack!
    1. Probably not.
    2. Probably not.

I say probably not because I haven't used a 9000.
    05-18-08 01:57 PM
    Thank you all for the quick posts.

I am outside of town which is why the signal isn't the greatest, not much ATT can do except add another tower...hmmm, maybe I can rent them some land for a tower

Well I was hoping my network would help, oh well, it would have been gravey since the Bold seems to have everything else
    05-18-08 02:01 PM
    Hi and welcome.
    05-18-08 08:37 PM
    As for question number 2...... I use Mozilla Thunderbird as my desktop email client. If you use it as well you can set it up to take your emails off the server as soon as they are received, and taking them off the server before your bb gets them. This setting is under the tools tab I believe (sorry not in front of tbird at the moment). When you want to receive emails on your bb you can do one of two things. You can go into your thunderbird client and choose "leave messages on the server". This will leave your messages on the server and your bb will retrieve them. Or just exit thunderbird altogether. Your messages will be received on the bb. Keep in mind a few things. You have to have your desktop client on if you want it to get the messages first. I just have mine sitting in my taskbar most of the dayn while still leaving my messages on the server for my bb. Havnt tried this with another client such as outlook, but I'm guessing that the same settings are in there. Also I have a curve using att as the carrier. I get email on my bb a good one or two minutes after my desktop does. So if your carrier is quick and you get the email before or at rhe same time as your desktop client does this little trick might not work. Good luck qhen you finally get the bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-08 03:42 AM
    Welcome to CB!!!!
    05-19-08 08:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD