06-04-08 06:17 AM
50 12
tools
    This post will not be for everyone nor am I claiming to be an expert. All I know is that I had some email delay issues when linking to my POP3 email account and have read many people asking about it so I thought I'd share what I did to accomplish getting emails quicker. This works great for people with small business that don't have $10,000-$20,000 to spend on IT equipment, security and maintenance for service, equipment, etc. This will also help with changing the "From" address people see when you send an email from your BB.

This is also written in a language that even newbies will understand.

Just so everyone knows, I have BB Curve 8310 with AT & T.

You get 1 blackberry email account (in my case, it's username@att.blackberry.net). If you're like me, you have business, personal, etc accounts that you want to add without getting 20-30 minute delays before the email hits your BB.

Let's say you have 2 emails you want to set up (1 for your business and 1 personal). Let's say your business POP3 email is myname@mybusiness.com.

1) Create a username with your ATT BB address (let's say, mybusinessname@att.blackberry.net).
    2) In your POP3 email settings, choose to "redirect" or "forward and save a copy in Inbox" and forward your emails to your ATT BB address (mybusinessname@att.blackberry.net) you've just created. This will help get your emails to your BB pretty much instantaneously. And emails will be kept in your inbox for you to reference as well.
    3) Log into your providers BIS (short for Blackberry Internet Service). ** Can't post a link but you can just Google your providers name followed by Blackberry Internet Service and you should find it
    4) Once you're logged in, from there you can set up your account.
    • Email Account Name: put your ATT BB address in there
    • Reply To: This is where you can put any email address you want. So, even though you're sending the email from username@att.blackberry.net, the user will see whatever email address you put in this field. So, in this case, you want to put myname@mybusiness.com. So, the user will see it came from myname@mybusiness.com and when replying, they will reply to myname@mybusiness.com (which is then forwarded to your ATT BB email, which is then forwarded to your BB).
    • Auto BCC: The only problem with doing this (and I run into this a lot) is that since I'm sending out so many emails - some from BB and some from my office computer, I don't know what I sent to people, and without an Enterprise server, it is not automatically synched with my desktop in my office. What you can do here is set up a Gmail account and name it mybusiness_dump@gmail.com and any email you send from your BB will be sent to this email address as well so you know what you sent people.
    • Signature: You can change your signature for each of your email accounts (business, personal, whatever), which is great.

And that's it. Here's a way to get emails quicker (avoid the delays) and make it seem like to the recipient of your emails you send that it is coming from your business account.

If you want to add additional email accounts, I read on the CB forums that Gmail is the quickest, so get a Gmail account. After you get a Gmail account, log into your POP3 email account and forward or redirect your emails to the new Gmail account. Then, log into your provider's BIS and just complete the same steps - changing the "Reply To" field to another business or personal email address.

Perfect for small business owners.

Again, this post is just the way I have configured my emails to 1) get emails quicker (I was experiencing 30-90 minute delays in getting emails to my BB before) and 2) seamlessly integrate my emails for my business so that I can respond to clients when out of the office and it looks like it came from my business email. If you run more than 1 business, then you can seamlessly manage and send emails and your recipients/clients will never know the difference.

I'm not saying this will work for everyone.
    10-30-07 02:06 PM
    Thank you for the advise. The delay is killing me. Sounds like if you do it your way I wont have to check the box in my pop3 sut up to keep a copy on my server which is what At&T had me do to get the mail to come to my phone. I will try your way and post an update.
    10-30-07 02:40 PM
    I was able to get the forwarding figured out and this works great. I actually got my emails faster on my 8310 than desktop. Thanks for the great idea.
    10-31-07 02:20 PM
    Thanks, this works. Cheers
    10-31-07 07:02 PM
    I started doing this about a week ago, read about it somewhere else, it works great
    10-31-07 08:46 PM
    Thanks for the step by step. I'm going to do this tomorrow.
    11-06-07 09:33 PM
    this works for Gmail and comcast.net aswell this was grate advice as i keep deleteing all my emails off my phone when i look at my outlook im hoping this solves this thanks and supper fast emails on my phone as well thanks
    11-06-07 10:20 PM
    I'll try it tommorow..thanks
    11-22-07 01:55 PM
    I need to set this up for my dad. He need's to get his bank's email to his BB and i think it will be easier to forward it to his account and manipulate it that way.

Thanks for the "newbie" walkthrough. Very Handy!
    11-22-07 06:21 PM
    this works with earthlink too. i get bb mail before i even get my earthlink email on my laptop! faster then i get my reg earthlink emails. earth has 7 free email accounts. each can be forwarded to your bb email address. click save a copy.
    11-24-07 01:38 AM
    3) Log into your providers BIS (short for Blackberry Internet Service). ** Can't post a link but you can just Google your providers name followed by Blackberry Internet Service and you should find it

uhm how do you login? what is login username? from where?
    i cant figure out where that comes from. i dont have login using my blackberry curve!
    11-24-07 01:42 AM
    Thanks! Just getting started and was looking for some information.
    11-24-07 10:20 AM
    Just got my first BB (8310 Curve). Can't figure out how to set up email. I use AOL on my PC - just set up a Gmail. But I just need someone to tell me what to do from here. It doesn't have a Personal Email Setup option on it. Please Help - I've spent hours trying to figure this out.
    11-28-07 06:52 PM
    I just got my first bb, an 8300, and I bought it off ebay, the person who owned it before me must have already had a username/pswrd to set up a blackberry email account, b/c when I try to create a new one, it says "one has already been activated for this phone." I don't know his username or password to get in there and delete it so i can make my own. Any suggestions?
    12-10-07 03:42 AM
    I find the ability to setup multiple accounts is the best, I get my work email and my 2 personal email accounts all on the same device, this is what sold me on the blackberry when i looked at them
    12-10-07 02:57 PM
    I just got my first bb, an 8300, and I bought it off ebay, the person who owned it before me must have already had a username/pswrd to set up a blackberry email account, b/c when I try to create a new one, it says "one has already been activated for this phone." I don't know his username or password to get in there and delete it so i can make my own. Any suggestions?
    You need to get the ebay seller to remove the pin from the carriers database.
    12-10-07 03:43 PM
    This has been a great help!
    I am now getting all of my e-mail much faster to my device.
    The only thing I need to fix is that I receive duplicates of every e-mail on my bb. I have the internet e-mail account set to keep a copy in the inbox as well as in Outlook - don't delete message from server until i delete it.

So, I am trying to have all messages get to outlook and my bb and eliminate a duplicate on the bb.

Any suggestions??
    Thanks!
    12-31-07 07:30 AM
    1) Create a username with your ATT BB address (let's say, mybusinessname@att.blackberry.net).
    Ok, I guess this is obvious for everyone else, but I have been searching for a way to do this for over a week with no luck. How do you do this when you are only allowed to have one account tied to your PIN/IMEI? I have tried both on the website and on the blackberry itself, and it is the same.

I can add an email address that is already created, but how do I actually CREATE another blackberry email address? Also, why is it so much slower to forward mail to your main blackberry account email?
    01-02-08 08:05 PM
    Ok, I guess this is obvious for everyone else, but I have been searching for a way to do this for over a week with no luck. How do you do this when you are only allowed to have one account tied to your PIN/IMEI? I have tried both on the website and on the blackberry itself, and it is the same.

I can add an email address that is already created, but how do I actually CREATE another blackberry email address? Also, why is it so much slower to forward mail to your main blackberry account email?
    I'm a newbie and I'm the same I can't figure out how to set up a username/account on my blackberry address?? I have redirected the emails from my work email address to my BB but I would like to add the 'reply to' as my work email so the recepient can reply to that??

Can any one help??
    01-03-08 09:19 AM
    Does this intriguing solution work with other carriers, i.e. T-mobile?

Does it work with other BB models, i.e. 8700g?
    02-21-08 04:49 PM
    I'm a newbie and I'm the same I can't figure out how to set up a username/account on my blackberry address?? I have redirected the emails from my work email address to my BB but I would like to add the 'reply to' as my work email so the recepient can reply to that??

Can any one help??
    I am also a New-bee and do not have my phone yet but maybe I can help.

Since I have AT&T if I go to their site or Blackberry.com. I found some links for the service you use. You then go to your service and look for e-mail set-up. There it will tell you to log in or create an account.

I also looked at AT&T Blackberry Service on Google and there was some info about it there...

Here is some additional info I found..

Where can I log into my BIS account? - BlackBerryFAQ.com

Now this comes from another forum and I hope it is ok to link it...
    Last edited by Raven71; 02-23-08 at 05:07 PM.
    02-23-08 04:49 PM
    ok, after reading and trying this, i was able to set up the bb att.com account, but can not figure out the redirect thing. I went to the options and email settings, and I see folder recirection, but what then, there is nothing to click on. That is where I get stuck.

Then after being on the phone with att for over 1 and half hours, I realize that some sort of way, I can not longer receive phone calls, all calls go directly to my voice mail. My phone does not ring, or light up or anything. I can still make calls, send emails, receive emails and send and receive text messages.

One last thing I was working on with att, was if I get a call while on the phone, it does not beep, (no call waiting alert), the only way I know I am getting a call is if I happen to be on speaker phone and see the call coming in or when I get off of the call, then I see a missed call. (Of course this was before I started having trouble receiving regular calls.

Any help in any of these matters would be greatly appreciated, but a newbie.

thanks in advance. love the forums.
    02-26-08 07:22 PM
    This post will not be for everyone nor am I claiming to be an expert. All I know is that I had some email delay issues when linking to my POP3 email account and have read many people asking about it so I thought I'd share what I did to accomplish getting emails quicker. This works great for people with small business that don't have $10,000-$20,000 to spend on IT equipment, security and maintenance for service, equipment, etc. This will also help with changing the "From" address people see when you send an email from your BB.

This is also written in a language that even newbies will understand.

Just so everyone knows, I have BB Curve 8310 with AT & T.

You get 1 blackberry email account (in my case, it's username@att.blackberry.net). If you're like me, you have business, personal, etc accounts that you want to add without getting 20-30 minute delays before the email hits your BB.

Let's say you have 2 emails you want to set up (1 for your business and 1 personal). Let's say your business POP3 email is myname@mybusiness.com.

2) In your POP3 email settings, choose to "redirect" or "forward and save a copy in Inbox" and forward your emails to your ATT BB address (mybusinessname@att.blackberry.net) you've just created. This will help get your emails to your BB pretty much instantaneously. And emails will be kept in your inbox for you to reference as well.
    Email Account Name: put your ATT BB address in there
    Reply To: This is where you can put any email address you want. So, even though you're sending the email from username@att.blackberry.net, the user will see whatever email address you put in this field. So, in this case, you want to put myname@mybusiness.com. So, the user will see it came from myname@mybusiness.com and when replying, they will reply to myname@mybusiness.com (which is then forwarded to your ATT BB email, which is then forwarded to your BB).
    Auto BCC: The only problem with doing this (and I run into this a lot) is that since I'm sending out so many emails - some from BB and some from my office computer, I don't know what I sent to people, and without an Enterprise server, it is not automatically synched with my desktop in my office. What you can do here is set up a Gmail account and name it mybusiness_dump@gmail.com and any email you send from your BB will be sent to this email address as well so you know what you sent people.
    Signature: You can change your signature for each of your email accounts (business, personal, whatever), which is great.

And that's it. Here's a way to get emails quicker (avoid the delays) and make it seem like to the recipient of your emails you send that it is coming from your business account.

If you want to add additional email accounts, I read on the CB forums that Gmail is the quickest, so get a Gmail account. After you get a Gmail account, log into your POP3 email account and forward or redirect your emails to the new Gmail account. Then, log into your provider's BIS and just complete the same steps - changing the "Reply To" field to another business or personal email address.

Perfect for small business owners.

Again, this post is just the way I have configured my emails to 1) get emails quicker (I was experiencing 30-90 minute delays in getting emails to my BB before) and 2) seamlessly integrate my emails for my business so that I can respond to clients when out of the office and it looks like it came from my business email. If you run more than 1 business, then you can seamlessly manage and send emails and your recipients/clients will never know the difference.

I'm not saying this will work for everyone.
    excellent advice,spoken like an expert.
    03-07-08 07:47 PM
    Talkative251--i just had this issue. I called my cell srvc provider, hit the option for tech sppt for smartphones/BB, and the tech was able to take my PIN# and reset the BB email service.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-08 06:04 PM
    This worked great for me as well. I read about it a couple of weeks ago. Much nicer now!
    03-24-08 12:32 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD