OK, I'm a newbie - I've recently seen postings via Googling and so I thought joining this forum would be a must-have for online fixes n'such... I just got my BB a couple of months ago. It's pretty decent, it's my first PDA type device and I like the connectivity to my e-mail accounts.

HERE'S THE JIST OF MY POST....

The Desktop Manager needs some improvement. Is there a better interface for calendaring/scheduling and say contact management?

I'd like to be able to go to a screen on my laptop, delve into contacts and phone numbers, create & tweak contact groups AND I'd also like to create appointments, reminders, events (like Lotus Notes) - - - and then - - - connect my BB to my laptop and do a synch and have everything pushed to it.

Whatcha think?

I do appreciate responses.

Thanks -

Jr
    Last edited by JohnnieRotten; 03-01-09 at 12:33 PM.
    03-01-09 12:30 PM
    I also thought it was a bit odd that BB didn't include a manager for that with the desktop software. Seems to be a pretty simple addition to me.

You can synch with your MS Outlook for contacts and calender via the desktop software. Not much help for me as I don't use outlook (or any other MS stuff if I can help it). I did find a way to use a spreadsheet program to manage contacts, it's the way I will do mine from now on.

I can't post links yet but you can find the article over at newbbie dot com and search for managing contacts.
    03-01-09 12:40 PM
    OK, I'm a newbie - I've recently seen postings via Googling and so I thought joining this forum would be a must-have for online fixes n'such... I just got my BB a couple of months ago. It's pretty decent, it's my first PDA type device and I like the connectivity to my e-mail accounts.

HERE'S THE JIST OF MY POST....

The Desktop Manager needs some improvement. Is there a better interface for calendaring/scheduling and say contact management?

I'd like to be able to go to a screen on my laptop, delve into contacts and phone numbers, create & tweak contact groups AND I'd also like to create appointments, reminders, events (like Lotus Notes) - - - and then - - - connect my BB to my laptop and do a synch and have everything pushed to it.

Whatcha think?

I do appreciate responses.

Thanks -

Jr
    Welcome to Crackberry!
    I don't use Outlook either, what I did was open a Yahoo account only for that purpose and I sync from my computer and back through the Yahoo Calendar, Reminder, Notes, Tasks and Contacts. It works wonderfully for me. It all gets synced on over and its up to date as long as I sync it.Unfortunately I believe with the new BB's coming out that there probably won't be a lot of new development for these. You may want to check into some 3rd Party applications that may be able to help you accomplish exactly what you want.

The contact group thing I haven't found away around and the poster with the spreadsheet option probably has the best solution.

I highly recommend that you take some time to read the 101 Lecture Series and the Tips and How To's linked in my sig line as there is a wealth of information regarding your BB and having that knowledge will allow you to not only get to know your BB, however also to be able take advantage of all it has to offer you.

Welcome to Crackberry!

~Jazzi~

03-01-09 03:10 PM
    RIM doesn't include a PIM interface with Desktop Manager because it's intended to be used with Outlook. That's really the easiest way to manage your Address Book, Calendar, etc. If you don't want to use Outlook, ABC makes a Contact Editor. You can find their products here: ABC Amber BlackBerry Convertor

Parse, convert, backup and archive IPD files to CHM, PDF, HTML, Word, Access, Excel, CSV, IPD Extractor.
    03-01-09 03:12 PM
    RIM doesn't include a PIM interface with Desktop Manager because it's intended to be used with Outlook. That's really the easiest way to manage your Address Book, Calendar, etc. If you don't want to use Outlook, ABC makes a Contact Editor. You can find their products here: ABC Amber BlackBerry Convertor

Parse, convert, backup and archive IPD files to CHM, PDF, HTML, Word, Access, Excel, CSV, IPD Extractor.
    Wow,
    Thanks Jeff, that's always great to know if I were to ever need it

~Jazzi~
    03-01-09 03:23 PM
    Great link Jeff!

Thanks.
    03-02-09 09:10 PM
    Thnx I think I'll check it out too...
    03-02-09 09:14 PM
    I'm very glad that when I got my first BB I switched to Outlook. It made things very, very easy for me not having to have a different desktop manager like I did when I had Palm devices. I thought it weird at first, but it turned out well for me. I'm glad I gave it a try (since it worked). Good luck.
    03-02-09 09:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD