Hi all,

I'm fairly new to BB's and have just joined Crackberry - so please don't shoot me if this is in the wrong place/forum or breaches some other kind of rule?

I've had my Storm 2 for a few months now and I am absolutely delighted with it. I've had loads of phones and none have come close to this - whatever I want it to do it can do it and I don't need to go through some inch thick book to work out what to do - whatever I want to be able to do I click the Blackberry button and the options is there right in front of me.

My only problem is with the NEW Voice Dialling

The previous voice dialling 'lady' was American but her accent wasn't too strong - and she actually understood what I was saying - since I connected to Desktop manager the other night it has obviously done an upgrade and now I have the new Voice Dialling 'lady' who, to an Englishman, has a VERY strong American accent and pronunciation.

I tried calling my son the other day and heard the new 'lady' ask me to 'say a command' so I said "call (son's name)" she couldn't even understand the word call in my English 'accent' I eventually got her to understand who I wanted to call but then she asked me for "which location?" ??? what happened to "which number?"
    I then said "mobile" and again she had no idea what I was saying.
    She eventually said "did you mean call (son's name) 'mobul' one" WHAT?????
    No wonder she didn't understand me saying 'MOBILE' when she pronounces it 'MOBUL' and where did the neccesity to say 'ONE' come from - he's only got one mobile number and the old 'lady' never needed me to stipulate 'mobile one' especially when there is only one mobile entry for that contact??????

I wish I could go back to the old 'lady' - I didn't especially like her but at least she understood me and I could understand her!

I think there should be an option to set the whole device to English (UK) rather than just English (American) it would be so much easier for people in the UK to have an English 'voice' - nothing against american people but if Blackberry was made in Scotland and then sold in America and the Voice Dialling was only available with a Glaswegian males voice you guys across the pond would never be able to make a single call via Voice Dialling!!!!

I have tried the adapt thing but that hasn't helped much.

Maybe there is a solution (that's why I added this comment - to try and find a solution rather than just rant!) Is there a way to change the whole device to an English (UK) version, change the Voice to a UK accent, download a UK voice or download a different Voice Dialling App altogether - there must be something????????

Please help as I use the Voice Dialling every day via a bluetooth earphone and it's driving me nuts trying to make 'her' understand!
    02-05-10 08:30 AM
    Lolll!!! I have the same problem as you. But I have the Bold 9000. And the Voice Dialing lady that came with it sounds like she came from Mars. She understands what I say good, but when she says,"Did you say call (---)" she says the name sooo weird! And my contacts names are simple. For example a common name like "John". If you say call John, she will say," Did you say call Jun?". WTF??? That's a very easy name and she can't even pronounce a 4 letter name! Another example. If I say,"call peter", she will say,"Did you say call Peauter?" Lol. I want to flash around to people how cool voice dialing is. But how can I do that when it sounds weird??? Does she speak english or something else. I speak english. Good english. I'm from US. What's wrong with the lady???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-10 08:52 AM
    One would think that since they are using the Nuance-based software, that voice dialing would be easier. I have severe problems using my BT headset with the voice dialing as well. The wired one works slightly better but I'd rather be using my BT headset.

I had zero issues with voice dialing on my 8330 but this is the only issue that I have with my Storm 2 right now.
    02-05-10 09:07 AM
    Just FYI,

But, voice dialing on my 8900 after upgrading to OS 5.0--.411 is MUCH better than 4.6. More smoother and less crackled.

Ken
    02-05-10 04:00 PM
    Friend of mine has a Samsung phone with the same " mobile one" and "home one" problem at the end of every contact, I know how you feel.

Ever used Vlingo? I've got it on my Tour (free version) and it's voice recognition is pretty amazing. I'm from America and I have a pretty thick southern accent but it still manages to pick up everything I say flawlessy. Might be a nice alternative to the OEM voice dialing.

Not to mention all the other options Vlingo has, the new (paid) version for the Tour lets you control virtually every aspect of your phone with your voice.
    02-05-10 04:33 PM
    Please help as I use the Voice Dialling every day via a bluetooth earphone and it's driving me nuts trying to make 'her' understand!
    Have you considered Vlingo? They have a trial period so you can test their service. I love Vlingo and use it every day.

Vlingo Home
    02-05-10 04:55 PM
    I had this problem too, until I figured out you have to go through the "Voice Adaptation" procedure. You didn't have to do this prior to OS 5.0.

Just go into Options/Voice Dialing and select the "Voice Adaption" button. It will walk you through a series of words, names, and numbers that you will need to repeat. Once it's finished, you should be good to go. Mine works very well now. You can do it while holding your phone in your hand and looking at the screen. You don't need to hold it up to your ear...just keep it fairly close to your mouth when you speak. I held mine about a foot away and it worked just fine.

One caveat: You have to do it through the handset...you can't do the adaptation through a bluetooth headset. Took me a while to figure that one out too!
    02-05-10 05:00 PM
    As I said I have tried the adaption thing and it's not done anything - to be honest whilst trying to call someone today after five minutes of trying I nearly threw the phone out of the car window - I'm so angry with this as last week with the old 'lady' I didn't have a single problem and used it every day.

I have checked an it's OS v5.0.0.436 the one before that was fine but 436 is awful - I'm sure other things have been improved but the voice dialling is MUCH worse!
    Last edited by HomerHart; 02-08-10 at 11:49 AM.
    02-08-10 11:34 AM
    Just give Vlingo's free trial a whirl, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    02-08-10 12:04 PM
    As I said I have tried the adaption thing and it's not done anything - to be honest whilst trying to call someone today after five minutes of trying I nearly threw the phone out of the car window - I'm so angry with this as last week with the old 'lady' I didn't have a single problem and used it every day.

I have checked an it's OS v5.0.0.436 the one before that was fine but 436 is awful - I'm sure other things have been improved but the voice dialling is MUCH worse!
    Have you tried tweaking the Choice Lists and Audio Prompt levels? Also, you might try the voice adaptation thing again, as something could have happened during your first go round. Maybe try it from a different distance this time. Might be worth a shot...maybe save your phone from getting chucked out the window! ;-)

As I said, after I fiddled with it and did the voice adaptation a couple of times and it works just fine for me now.
    Last edited by LuvMyBB; 02-08-10 at 12:39 PM.
    02-08-10 12:35 PM
    Vlingo isn't all that great either. Half of the time it doesn't understand what you're saying when trying to send an SMS. Perhaps the voice dialing is better but sending a text message is horrible. I never use voice dialing so I'm good but I might try it.

Does Vlingo allow unlimited messaging to other Vlingo customers or do you have to pay for a better version?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-08-10 12:35 PM
    LOL! The new Voice Dial Lady is rude, bossy and deaf. Her rules are stupid when I say 'call Mom' she wants me to say 'dial Mom'. When I giver her a number to dial she wants me to giver her a number to call. I gave up trying to please her and just dial the number myself.
    02-08-10 07:36 PM
    I have an 8900 so the options menu may be slightly different. But... Go to options > language and text input > voice dialling language.

Mine is set to UK English, hopefully this will help!

02-08-10 08:18 PM
    Thanks Laurag84

That's exactly what I was looking for - silly me - I was looking in the Voice Dialling section to try and change the Voice Dialling settings - It's obvious I should have been looking in the Language and text input area??????

Anyway I have changed it to UK and am hoping that a nice English accent will greet me when I use it later on today - fingers crossed.
    Last edited by HomerHart; 02-09-10 at 07:18 AM.
    02-09-10 07:15 AM
    Not a problem, glad to be of assistance. I don't use the voice dialling all that often so I can't comment on how effective it is, but fingers crossed it'll work for you

02-09-10 11:52 AM

I wish I could go back to the old 'lady' - I didn't especially like her but at least she understood me and I could understand her!
    I've heard many a divorced man say that.
    02-09-10 11:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD