Hi....sorry I need some advice for my 13 year old son. he had his blackberry stolen last night ....lesson learnt. My challenge I am not a blackberry user and struggling to understand what his risks are in terms of access to BBM contacts. We have only been in the US for three weeks and our phones are from overseas. We have pay as you go contracts via T Mobile and I have suspended his number. Does the new owner of the phone get automatic access to his contacts (I assume they do) but more importantly can they access his BBM chats or will a new SIM require some form of new registration for BBM to work. Assuming he gets a new phone when he registers again with blackberry will it pull through from the server his contacts and chats. Sorry for the ignorant questions. Thanks
    09-19-13 08:10 AM
    Did he enable BlackBerry Protect? What model is his BlackBerry?

If he enabled BlackBerry Protect he can remotely wipe his phone.

His BBM is connected to his BlackBerry ID - not to a particular phone or sim card. If the thief just starts using the phone (assuming it doesn't have a passcode) then yes he access of course. Unless your son can wipe the phone.

I'm not sure if you can contact BlackBerry with your BlackBerry ID And get them to remotely wipe the phone. Hopefully some other forum members have more knowledge of this.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 08:18 AM
    BlackBerry Protect would be the answer, if he enabled it on his device.
    09-19-13 08:20 AM
    BlackBerry Protect. FTW
    09-19-13 08:28 AM
    Hi
    thanks for the input so far...I will check with him regarding Blackberry protect (i think I know the answer!).....I will make sure everything is done correctly next time.
    09-19-13 08:54 AM
    Agree with everyone. If you were using it without a password and without blackberry protect, it's a lost hope as far as data privacy.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 09:01 AM
    My wife an I had ours stolen a couple weeks ago, within 30 minutes I used blackberry protect to set a passcode, as well as tried to locate them, but had no luck. If the thief has completed a phone wipe, there is no way for protect to do anything as it is tied to your Blackberry ID. I have kept both the pin numbers and periodically send a pin message, depending on who has the phone, or who may have bought it, you might be able to find out where it is.....

Both my protect accounts still have pending actions waiting for a phone wipe
    09-19-13 09:10 AM
    What phone is it OP? Just to verify it's a BlackBerry 10 device.

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    09-19-13 09:24 AM
    Of the phone is reported stolen to blackberry themselves, they can permanently blacklist the device from working on any networks, making it completely useless.
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    09-19-13 09:57 AM
    HI...it was not Blackberry 10 but earlier. A basic 7 device. It did not have protect setup. Given it is a 13 year his contacts all sit in BBM (or most). If he gets a new device plus sim and sets it up from scratch with his existing Blackberry ID etc...does that give him access to his BBM history and contacts in BBM or does he start all over again. I think that is more the issue as most of his BBM was with his old friends overseas. I just want to make sure I tell him to the right thing.
    09-19-13 10:35 AM
    HI...it was not Blackberry 10 but earlier. A basic 7 device. It did not have protect setup. Given it is a 13 year his contacts all sit in BBM (or most). If he gets a new device plus sim and sets it up from scratch with his existing Blackberry ID etc...does that give him access to his BBM history and contacts in BBM or does he start all over again. I think that is more the issue as most of his BBM was with his old friends overseas. I just want to make sure I tell him to the right thing.
    When you transfer the old BlackBerry id to his new device everything will transfer as far as contacts and I believe BlackBerry World will still know which apps were previously downloaded...

Visit my BBM Channel at C00121065 for photography of the Great Pacific Northwest!
    09-19-13 11:03 AM
    I've switched devices and inputing my BlackBerry ID gave me my contacts back. But this was in a BlackBerry 10 device. But it should be the same.

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    09-19-13 11:04 AM
    I don't know what kind of BlackBerry you have the other option is through your carrier. When my 9700 was stolen, I called my carrier and they bricked the phone. Can your carrier do that maybe?
    09-19-13 12:03 PM
    Once you enter your info into BlackBerry ID on the new phone, all your BBM contact will port over to the new phone, in turn nullifying BBM on the old phone with the same ID. Blackberry Protect is great, you can do so much with it. I would highly recommend it on your next BlackBerry.
    09-19-13 01:45 PM
    Once you enter your info into BlackBerry ID on the new phone, all your BBM contact will port over to the new phone, in turn nullifying BBM on the old phone with the same ID. Blackberry Protect is great, you can do so much with it. I would highly recommend it on your next BlackBerry.
    Bbid is good for five devices.
    09-19-13 03:03 PM
    I got a text msg from T-Mobile advising me to check out BlackBerry protect. I had it turned on on my Z10, but never logged into the website. The hardest part was figuring out what my Blackberry ID was. Now I have been bragging about how easy it is, if my phone is lost, to log in and send a lock screen message, or make a loud sound, or lock it, or wipe it, or detonate it. All without calling the phone company.
    09-19-13 03:50 PM
    ring your carrier tell them that it was stolen provide them with the imei number and they will block it so they wont be able to use the phone so its useless to them then
    09-19-13 04:00 PM
    ring your carrier tell them that it was stolen provide them with the imei number and they will block it so they wont be able to use the phone so its useless to them then
    only useless on that particular carrier.... but it would force whoever has it to unlock..
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    09-19-13 05:17 PM
    only useless on that particular carrier.... but it would force whoever has it to unlock..
    Hmm well tmobile must of tole me wrong :/ they me that if i gaved them the phone imei number it cant be unlocked and it would not work for anyone

Sent from my GT-I8190 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-19-13 05:48 PM
    Since most of your son's contacts were stored in BBM, you have an excellent chance of having already backed up those contacts. BlackBerry Protect as it was implemented in OS7 was quite excellent. The good part of this story is that your BlackBerry ID takes care of backing up your BBM contacts for you, without any intervention needed from you. So even if your BlackBerry Protect wasn't activated, as soon as you enter your BlackBerry ID into a replacement Blackberry device, whether it's an OS7 or a BB10 device, your son's BBM contacts will float back in. His actual PHONE address book contacts would not (at least not without BlackBerry Protect or at least one backup from BlackBerry Desktop Manager), but the BBM contacts would. I can't help much with the part about protecting the lost phone's contacts from prying eyes. That would have been BB Protect's locate/lock/wipe function. Hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 08:15 PM