1. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    10-21-11 05:22 PM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    This will pay off for RIM ... finally, someone who knows how to work with the development community and make things happen at RIM!! ....

Very excited to see what will come from this in the months ahead!!!
    10-21-11 05:24 PM
    Read it, learn it, say it !
    Thanks for this.
    10-21-11 05:33 PM
    This is what I said when everyone was whining about all the executive departures at RIM, specifically marketing and developer relations. When the guys in charge of the departments that are the problem are leaving, it's a good thing.

The various losses at the executive level have made room for new blood, which is something RIM desperately needs right now.

When promoting me to my first management position (all those years ago), my boss at the time told me something that has stuck with me ever since: effective management is about letting other people make you look good. It looks like Mike and Jim are learning that building a strong team and letting them dazzle is a strong strategy, and I couldn't be more pleased.
    10-21-11 05:52 PM
    This is good stuff but just remember one thing, Mike and Jim still have to answer to 2 different sets of company people higher than them... The Board Of Directors and the Shareholders/Stockholders!.

Those are their Ultimate Boses thatthey have to please. Let's hope it works and shakes out in the right direction for the future.

PS I hope that with a Man like Alec Saunders on board with RIM speaking for the Developer Community and so far they seem to like him, he will be able to draw the number of devs. needed with the right knowledge to write code for the apps that the people that own and have been asking for to use on the BB devices and if this is the case, there may just be a good chance of great changes ahead. Thanks!
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 10-21-11 at 06:22 PM.
    10-21-11 06:01 PM
    I have to agree. Alec Saunders is the first inspiring figure from RIM that I've seen. Mike and Jim should stay out of the way and let him do the talking.

I don't like the end of the Java SDK on BBX but on the whole it's better to have clarity than every possibly technology. Developers look for commitment and too many options on offer give the opposite impression.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Wretch 12 likes this.
    10-21-11 06:03 PM
    This is good stuff but just remember one thing, Mike and Jim still have to answer to 2 different sets of company people higher than them... The Board Of Directors and the Shareholders/Stockholders!.
    Those are their Ultimate Boses thatthey have to please. Let's hope it works and shakes out in the right direction for the future.
    I do think if they spit on his shoes he will leave with no time.
    He's experienced enough to have his roadmap and powers well stated before he lands.
    10-21-11 06:06 PM
    Standing behind his trusty MacBook Pro. Priceless.
    10-21-11 06:06 PM
    finally some one who know what mean to be with RIM.
    10-21-11 06:25 PM
    Great to see someone who can actually communicate in a management position at RIM.
    10-21-11 08:12 PM
    The QNX and TAT teams are where it's at. Just wish it was moving along a little faster but will be worth the wait.
    10-21-11 08:24 PM
    I had a good feeling about this guy when I heard he was with RIM. I was impressed when i saw him make comments on this site. I was even more impressed when he put his email address up for everyone to see. He will do some great things for RIM.
    10-21-11 10:56 PM
    Standing behind his trusty MacBook Pro. Priceless.
    what was he supposed to be standing behind, his BlackBerry laptop?
    10-21-11 10:58 PM
    I had a good feeling about this guy when I heard he was with RIM. I was impressed when i saw him make comments on this site. I was even more impressed when he put his email address up for everyone to see. He will do some great things for RIM.
    Oh, you mean like leaving the BBOS Java developers twisting in the wind? No BBOS JVM, no transition tools. How many third party BBX apps do you think will be available at the launch of the first handheld?
    10-21-11 11:10 PM
    Oh, you mean like leaving the BBOS Java developers twisting in the wind? No BBOS JVM, no transition tools. How many third party BBX apps do you think will be available at the launch of the first handheld?
    You mean like Windows Mobile left WinCE developers in the dust when they moved to Windows Phone 7? Actually, they didn't. They provided everything developers needed to make the transition. Remember all those webOS apps that didn't translate to the HP TouchPad? It happens more then you think. You need to change with the times.

RIM is changing and becoming current with technology. They will make it as easy as possible to transition to a different programming platform. (Go BlackBerry Jam!!).

Windows Phone 7 had a sad Market Place (their app store) early in the year. It grew by about 5000 apps per month, and it's still going strong. Same thing will happen with BBX.

And you have to grow as a developer and keep up with technology. It's a constant battle, trust me, but if you want to stay on top you need to keep learning and moving on. It's the nature of the beast.
    10-21-11 11:20 PM

RIM is changing and becoming current with technology. They will make it as easy as possible to transition to a different programming platform. (Go BlackBerry Jam!!).
    Show me one tool, one path, one *anything*

Remember all those webOS apps that didn't translate to the HP TouchPad? It happens more then you think. You need to change with the times.

And you have to grow as a developer and keep up with technology. It's a constant battle, trust me, but if you want to stay on top you need to keep learning and moving on. It's the nature of the beast.
    Ironic you should reference the touch pad...

Don't worry about me, I have plenty of language skills. I just wonder if there will be anyone left to buy apps...
    10-21-11 11:38 PM
    Show me one tool, one path, one *anything*

Ironic you should reference the touch pad...

Don't worry about me, I have plenty of language skills. I just wonder if there will be anyone left to buy apps...
    I don't know of any paths right now. BB Jam is supposed to have a lot of info. I know my apps will be total rewrites (if my clients decide to upgrade someday). I'm ok with that because some of my old legacy code needs updating anyway.

Funny thing about the TouchPad is developers jumped on board after the fact. Had that happened prior to it's release it may have made a bigger impact.

You wonder if anyone will be left to buy the apps? Me too, and a lot of other people. I hope so, but it's hard to get developers to jump on board without seeing the devices fly off the shelf.
    10-22-11 12:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD