Good afternoon all,
    I have a blackberry curve 8310 which I believe was using v4.3. Over the weekend I downloaded and installed v.4.5.0.52 and now my phone is moving slow at instances. Browsing around the menus and opening applications at instances is giving some problems.

Does anyone know why this is happening? This is my first post so some specifics would come in handy.

Dane
    03-09-09 11:44 AM
    You might need to clear out your memory, this can be accomplished with a battery pull.

Welcome to Crackberry.com!
    03-09-09 11:55 AM
    I me I have done that already but i was still getting problems. I would pull it out again and monitor it more closely.

I will post back it things remain the same.

Thanks for your suggestion thus far. If anyone has any other ideas I will also be willing to try them.

Dane
    03-09-09 02:26 PM
    go to options>status and report what your file free memory is

When I went to 4.5 from 4.2 I actually saw a slight slowdown overall, nothing to make me jump ship since the benefits in the upgrade were well worth it... Most people however report an increase in speed with the upgrade...
    03-09-09 02:34 PM
    My file free memory is 9304480 bytes

Regards
    Dane
    03-09-09 05:46 PM
    My file free memory is 9304480 bytes

Regards
    Dane
    Your file free is way to low. If its under 12mb which it is, try some of these steps

First of all make sure you close all apps properly (menu>close) while using your berry also move all media (ringtones, pictures, video etc) to a media card - if you dont have a media card its a good idea to get one to keep the pictures, ringtones off the device memory - also delete all texts or unneeded texts and emails. People who save hundreds of texts will eventually have memory related issues.

Also can try to clear your browser cache (browser>options>cache operations) as well as the event log........On your keypad hold down the alt key and type lglg and clear the event log (ignore the warning). If you have too many themes or applications maybe cut down on a few you dont use. Facebook would be the first place I would go for an app that needed to be deleted. Basic housecleaning is all you need to avoid this issue in the future.... Just keep your eye on the memory what I do is hit ALT - SHIFT - H and look there for file free memory. If it nears 12mb then you know what to do..

To see what applications are running hold alt & hit esc (button right of the trackball) it will show you 5. (phone, messages, bbm, home screen, browser) anything else in there is running and you should look into it.. After you complete many of these if not all - pull the battery with the phone on, wait 30 seconds, replace, when you boot back up check your new file free memory size.

This thread will help you if you want to do even more memory optimization.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    03-09-09 07:21 PM
    Thanks to all who responded!!

Special thanks to Tremortality your pointers were extremely helpful!

Dallr
    03-12-09 11:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD