Hey all! I've installed my first microSD - what next? When I take pics/upload new ringtones will it give me the option to save them on the new one? Also, where would I go to see my current space available? (curve 8300)
    03-13-08 06:43 PM
    Congrats on the new memory, it should default to the media card for Camera images.

If you have any problems, check Options > Media Card and verify it is enabled and set to Mass storage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-08 06:49 PM
    When you have the camera open, press menu and then Options. At the bottom you can change the folder that photos are saved to.

To see how much file free you have on your device go to Options Status. I believe this will only indicate how much file free you have on your phone, and not your microsd card.
    03-13-08 06:54 PM
    Check memory with Options > Status.

Start from a fresh boot and you will see about 20 Mb. As you use it, it will drop as things are being saved.

Watch out for < 10 Mb. The automatic clean out is ruthless

03-13-08 06:55 PM
    Options -> media card will show you the card size and free space

03-13-08 07:04 PM
    If you have problems putting stuff on the sd card, sometimes you need to format it first.

03-13-08 08:14 PM
    Also make sure you turn on mass media storage

03-13-08 08:36 PM
    Thanks a lot!
    03-13-08 09:02 PM
    I set the settings to Mass Storage but when I go to Options>Status it says : Media Card Available: 1.8GB and Free: 1.8GB, which makes me wonder if it isn't storing things on the card - I downloaded a few things after I installed the card and did the settings above, but it wiped my sms/mms and call logs last night - so something isn't jiving.
    03-16-08 02:58 PM
    Fear not. Part of the cards spaceis taken when it is formatted for use.

03-16-08 04:40 PM
    I figured that... but more than 1.8 should be used.... if it is deleting my inbox and call log - yet the card status has all that space...something isn't right.
    03-17-08 12:35 AM
    I figured that... but more than 1.8 should be used.... if it is deleting my inbox and call log - yet the card status has all that space...something isn't right.
    If you call log and inbox is deleting, you are low on device memory. A couple of things you can do is delete sample video, clear cache, and remove battery and reinsert once in awhile. Here is John Clarks memory thread as well and this will really free up your device memory.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html
    03-17-08 12:41 AM
    I don't think I'm expressing what my issue is.... I inserted my new SD card and when I go to Options>Media Card it says:

Media Card Support:On
    Encryption Mode: None
    Mass Storage Mode Support: On
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: Yes

Total Space: 1.8GB
    FreeSpace: 1.8GB

Now my issue is... if my BB is using the card - why does it say I have that much free space? It should be less than the total amount. Yet, it's saying I have 1.8 and deleting my inbox and call log - so I'm assuming my BB memory is full, but not using the memory on the card.
    03-17-08 01:28 AM
    This is because the PIM stuff uses ONLY device memory and you have a lot of programs installed or contacts or something.

Unfortunately, the SD memory is only used by media basically.

Patrick
    03-17-08 08:32 AM
    Mine is doing the exact same thing as yours. I know that it is saving to the MicroSD, but the space does not change.
    03-17-08 08:42 AM
    The sd card is file storage only. If you have a lot of themes, applications and contacts on your phone then it will still use up the phones internal memory. That will in turn cause the issues you are experiencing. You can stick a 16 gb card in your phone and still have the same issues if you don't perform some housekeeping on your phone.

03-17-08 10:24 AM
    Well I have a lot of mp3 ringers that I added before I got the card...is there a way to go in and set those ringers to be saved to the sd space?
    03-17-08 10:37 AM
    Well I have a lot of mp3 ringers that I added before I got the card...is there a way to go in and set those ringers to be saved to the sd space?
    Yes, go to the media browser and hit the menu button.
    Then hit "Explore" browse to the ringtones you would like to move and click the menu button for the "move" option.
    Then select the directory where the file will go to and click the trackball (8100 series)

You can also move the items in "Media Manager" inside your Desktop Software.

Dm
    03-17-08 11:10 AM
    awesome - thanks so much for all the help!
    03-17-08 12:05 PM
    Anytime.

Dm
    03-17-08 03:15 PM
    Don't forget to set the memory for pictures to 0mb once you have the card.
    03-17-08 05:35 PM
    does that make them automatically save on the card instead? Also, how do I move ringtones to the card? There is no "move" option.
    03-17-08 05:55 PM
    does that make them automatically save on the card instead? Also, how do I move ringtones to the card? There is no "move" option.
    Yes, setting the device memory to 0 will force the pictures to save to the SD card.

I am not sure how to move the ringtones that come with the Blackberry. Something tells me that you will have to use the "Roxio Media Manager" in DM to perform that task, if it is possible at all.

If not, I have a feeling that the only other option you would have is to load a modified OS onto your Blackberry. That is surgery that I have not delved into on my "little one". I prefer to just manage the memory I have as best as I can before I go that route...

Dm
    03-18-08 03:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD