Hey all, thought I'd finally join here and share my bad luck while asking a question.

Got a Tour a couple months back and love it so far. Well last night at a buddy's wedding I was sitting with my phone on my knee when it gets knocked off my leg and falls right into a Solo cup full of beer. Put it in front of a fan overnight but the damage was done. The screen looks like a black and white TV that"s about to die, jittery with horizontal lines running through it.

Anyway, I had the protection plan and filed a claim this morning. It was really easy and straight forward, even thought the deductible seemed high to me at $100 :/

Has anyone dealt with Asurion for a claim before? I assume they send a refurbished unit. Will I be able to x-fer contacts and apps or will I have to take it to a Sprint store?

I was just about to buy a new Xbox too, got the RROD last week for the second time.
    04-10-10 08:02 AM
    Hey all, thought I'd finally join here and share my bad luck while asking a question.

Got a Tour a couple months back and love it so far. Well last night at a buddy's wedding I was sitting with my phone on my knee when it gets knocked off my leg and falls right into a Solo cup full of beer. Put it in front of a fan overnight but the damage was done. The screen looks like a black and white TV that"s about to die, jittery with horizontal lines running through it.

Anyway, I had the protection plan and filed a claim this morning. It was really easy and straight forward, even thought the deductible seemed high to me at $100 :/

Has anyone dealt with Asurion for a claim before? I assume they send a refurbished unit. Will I be able to x-fer contacts and apps or will I have to take it to a Sprint store?

I was just about to buy a new Xbox too, got the RROD last week for the second time.
    Frist welcome to Crackberry!

sorry about Tour. Sounds like the Tour busted the LCD screen as well with that drop, but good thing you have insurance. Yes, the deductible is high since its a smartphone, but its better then paying retail for another Tour without insurance. Anytime I delt with Asurion they sent me a Brand new phone, but some have reported getting refurbished ones.

as far as backing up your phone and apps. If you do not have a backup on your computer you will lose everything. If you did a backup on the computer, all you need to do with the new phone is plug in the phone and hit the restore button
    04-10-10 08:07 AM
    Thanks for the welcome!

as far as backing up your phone and apps. If you do not have a backup on your computer you will lose everything. If you did a backup on the computer, all you need to do with the new phone is plug in the phone and hit the restore button
    Ok, I have not backed it up. It still halfway works, I'll look through the manual and try to do that before it dies completely. Thanks!
    04-10-10 08:19 AM
    Thanks for the welcome!Ok, I have not backed it up. It still halfway works, I'll look through the manual and try to do that before it dies completely. Thanks!
    all you need to do is Open up desktop manager on your computer, plug in the phone, and hit the option to backup.
    04-10-10 08:35 AM
    Or you can just use the Device Switch Wizard in BlackBerry Desktop Manager once the new device arrives to transfer the data to the new device.
    04-10-10 09:59 AM
    I got it backed up and just in time. It's going completely haywire on me now. The camera opened up and starting taking pics all by itself. Had to do a battery pull to make it stop.

Thanks for the help!
    04-10-10 10:49 AM
    I, too, have had good experiences with Asurion. But there was someone (recently) here on cb who reported being cancelled for exceeding some annual dollar amount cap (I think it was $1,000) in claims.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-10 03:19 PM
    Asurion is decent. But as with anything refurbished, it really is a roll of the dice. Do a back up and hope they send you a device that was as good as the one you send back.

04-10-10 04:47 PM
    Asurion is decent. But as with anything refurbished, it really is a roll of the dice. Do a back up and hope they send you a device that was as good as the one you send back.

Got the new phone today. I assume it's a refurb since it wasn't in it's original box, but I looked it over and it looks good as new. It has the clear plastic on the screen, camera lens and buttons so I'm happy. All in all not a bad experience.
    04-13-10 04:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD