OK people, I've got this great new job, and I'm being dragged kicking and screaming into the world of the crackberry..... actually I'm fine with it, but I've never owned a blackberry (did have a RIM pager way back when)

I go through smartphones like Emelda Marcos goes through shoes, I've done all the Palm stuff, Blackjack 1 & 2, Nokia, a few Winders phones and now, well ... an iPhone (I'm over the the touch screen thing now....)

So what do you folks suggest I look at? I'll be on Verizon. Hardcore business phone user, email, SMS user. Need media for those long flights. International use, decent camera, battery.

Need tight easy integration to Outlook...don't like bloatware

I'll start reading, open to advice....
    12-20-08 02:28 AM
    I'd be looking at the 8830 WE since you'll be on Verizon!
    12-20-08 02:30 AM
    Woops n/m just realized your with verizon, I agree with the 8830. As for outlook integration you'll have to use the Desktop Manager

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-08 02:31 AM
    Whats scarry iss I get the joke and know wo Emelda Marcos goes through shoes is lol

OK people, I've got this great new job, and I'm being dragged kicking and screaming into the world of the crackberry..... actually I'm fine with it, but I've never owned a blackberry (did have a RIM pager way back when)

I go through smartphones like Emelda Marcos goes through shoes, I've done all the Palm stuff, Blackjack 1 & 2, Nokia, a few Winders phones and now, well ... an iPhone (I'm over the the touch screen thing now....)

So what do you folks suggest I look at? I'll be on Verizon. Hardcore business phone user, email, SMS user. Need media for those long flights. International use, decent camera, battery.

Need tight easy integration to Outlook...don't like bloatware

I'll start reading, open to advice....
    12-20-08 02:34 AM
    Sounds like you need a Curve.
    12-20-08 02:45 AM
    Woops n/m just realized your with verizon, I agree with the 8830. As for outlook integration you'll have to use the Desktop Manager

8330 is what I figured, what is Desktop Manager? Tell me I'll be able to use outlook from my new "smart phone". By outlook integration I guess I mean email, appointments, contacts, tasks would be nice......Dan in Dallas....
    12-20-08 02:46 AM
    If you are on Verizon, then the current Curve. Although keep in mind within 6 months they should likely get the significantly improved newer Bold & / or newer Curve.

For perfect (OTA - over the air) Outlook integration you want BES through your company IT department. If no company IT, then you will need to use the blackberry desktop manager sync software.
    12-20-08 02:52 AM
    If you are on Verizon, then the current Curve. Although keep in mind within 6 months they should likely get the significantly improved newer Bold & / or newer Curve.

For perfect (OTA - over the air) Outlook integration you want BES through your company IT department. If no company IT, then you will need to use the blackberry desktop manager sync software.

OK, we're a crack addicted IT organization, that should be easy enough.

I presume I could get something unlocked if the choices below don't do it for me?

I need a decent camera and it seems we deal with EU roaming by dropping in a 3rd party sim card vs Verizon roaming. So I'm looking at the 8830? It seems to only be lacking a camera compared to the curve.

Storm seems like a train wreck from what I've heard, have the patches helped?
    12-20-08 09:52 AM
    I'll be in Europe at least once a month.... I didn't realize Verizon was a CDMA network, UGH!

So I presume any "international phones" are dual band radios? Verizon is CDMA only in the US?
    12-20-08 03:39 PM
    8830 has no camera 8330 does and it's a nice phone. If you can hold out or if you can stay with AT&T (you said iPhone right) then get a BOLD it is the ultimate berry now.
    12-20-08 06:11 PM
    8830 it is, bad enough I'm going to Verizon, there is rumor of .... gulp, Lotus Notes...... God help us...
    12-20-08 07:35 PM
    International use + camera = Storm.

You said you are over the touch screen, but that is the only Blackberry on verizon that offers both. Also the Storm is the only Blackberry on Verizon that works in Japan and South Korea

Other than that, the Bold on AT&T covers all those points and more, just with a 2.0mp vs. the 3.2mp camera on the Storm.
    12-20-08 09:37 PM
    Hello and congrats on your shoe collection...er, I mean Blackberry immersion. . The Outlook sync with BB I'm very happy with, gives me really what I need with a nice contact sync, tasks, notes, calendar etc. A day now goes by without me going on my desktop and/or Laptop... which is amazing really. Even though I'm more leashed to my technology I also have more freedom.

Anyways, welcome and you've definitely found the right place here at Crackberry for info galore. Take advantage of the very helpful BB 101. BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series | CrackBerry.com . Also the powerfull search engine to dig through this bottomless pit of Crackberry knowledge for stuff already answered. Post on those existing threads or post a new one if need be. Many folks here happy to help. Some searching tips... Go To: Search Forums / Advanced Search / Key word search / search by title / "pick a key word" that comes to mind and you might stumble upon some answers and/or clues. Or search by Post content...

To keep Crackberry help with you at all times launch wap.crackberry.com (from your phone) and install your CB Launcher.

Here's a great link of links
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/popu...d-links-21096/

12-20-08 09:50 PM
    Sounds like you need a Curve.
    Yeah I agree a Curve World I think it is called.
    12-20-08 09:58 PM
    Welcome to CB!

Enjoy your addiction
    12-20-08 10:07 PM

You said you are over the touch screen, but that is the only Blackberry on verizon that offers both. Also the Storm is the only Blackberry on Verizon that works in Japan and South Korea

Other than that, the Bold on AT&T covers all those points and more, just with a 2.0mp vs. the 3.2mp camera on the Storm.
    I thought the storm is a CDMA phone, does it have duel band radio? I guess I'll look at one.....

CDMA I can't believe it..... GSM was so simple.....
    12-20-08 10:50 PM

So maybe I'll look closer at the Storm... will the local Verizon store have a working demo unit?
    12-21-08 07:28 AM
    Welcome to CB. Verizon is a good carrier. I would suggest the Curve, but you mentioned International. If that's the case I'd recommend either the 8830 WE or the Storm. The Storm would be much better for the media you mentioned, but right now the Storm isn't quite as polished as the 8830. That said it's a great device, and could definitely be the one you're looking for. I'd take a stroll into your local Verizon store and have a go with the Storm and 8830. Also keep in mind when using the Storm, it's very new, and updates are coming to make it better. GL, and again, welcome to CB.

Edit: Also, Verizon has it's version of the Bold coming in 2009.
    12-21-08 08:18 AM
    Welcome to CB, let us know what ya get!
    12-21-08 09:23 AM
    Storm it is.... I took one for a spin, it was interesting to play with it next to the iPhone.

Having made the transition from keyboard to touch screen when I moved from the Blackjack to the iPhone, this transition will not be so bad. The 8830 did feel good as well, but my inner geek is calling me to to try the Storm....
    12-22-08 05:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD