I have only recently decided to even get involved with a cell phone contract and the digital lifestyle so forgive me if the answer to this is common knowledge.

I have been with US Cellular for three months, I got a blackberry 8530 as my first phone and I love the concept, the phone is pretty good but the battery life stinks ( that is common knowledge...read it here ) and it's kinda slow and feels somewhat cheap. I'd like to try out a 9650 just to say I tried a better phone and I'm wondering what the procedure is. I know basically ... wait till upgrade time(2 yrs.), or pay to upgrade ( according to the "Belief" pages of my account it would cost about $300 ) . But can I buy a US Cellular 9650 on ebay and simply change phones?
    I realize there are app registration issues, I don't use BBM so the pin thing doesn't really come into play except for the apps, but what I'm really wondering is if the carrier charges the upgrade fee even if I have a phone to use?

I don't know if that even makes sense to anyone but I searched through the US cellular board here and couldn't find anything like it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

D.
    12-09-10 07:07 PM
    You can purchase a device used and have it activated when you feel the need. The 'Upgrade' fee usually pertains to getting a new device at a discounted price. I know people that regularly buy, sell, and trade devices within their contracts all the time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Fubaz and dtrud0h like this.
    12-09-10 07:15 PM
    Also make sure if you are buying a used device, that the ESN is clean!
    if its defunct or blacklisted you will not be able to activate it.
    dtrud0h likes this.
    12-09-10 07:16 PM
    Also make sure if you are buying a used device, that the ESN is clean!
    if its defunct or blacklisted you will not be able to activate it.
    Well, in the case of 9650, that would probably be the MEID. If buying a used device, the seller should provide you with the identification numbers so that you can contact the carrier and verify that the device isn't blacklisted as Fubaz noted, otherwise, you'd either have to surrender a stolen device or pay accrued charges to get the device cleared so that you could activate it. Prudence pays off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-10 07:21 PM
    That's what I kind of thought, but didn't want to end up paying twice. There are new USCC berries on the bay cheaper than I can upgrade through the carrier so that's where I'm heading. Thanks again.
    12-09-10 07:21 PM
    That's what I kind of thought, but didn't want to end up paying twice. There are new USCC berries on the bay cheaper than I can upgrade through the carrier so that's where I'm heading. Thanks again.
    The best thing to do is check around on craigslist cause you can usually find some really good deals. Like they said just make sure the ESN is clean and can be activated on your account before buying.
    12-09-10 09:18 PM
    Welcome to CB
    12-09-10 09:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD