People here have no shortage of advice on how BlackBerry could reverse its flagging fortunes, so I thought I'd toss in my two cents. I was thinking about the brilliant ad campaign that Kellogg's Corn Flakes ran a few years ago on the slogan "taste them again for the first time." Maybe BlackBerry could try something similar.

Older folks (I'm 50) remember when BlackBerry owned the smartphone market, but many younger people probably don't even know what BlackBerry is, apart from a kind of jam. And how many people even know that BlackBerry has a brand new operating system and a new set of touch-screen devices? Not many, apparently.

So why not capitalize on both the nostalgia of the BlackBerry name and the promise of an all-new experience? They still have a lot of money. Why not put some of it into a massive ad campaign on the theme "The New BlackBerry: Try it Again for the First Time!" Or something like that. Each ad could illustrate a new feature of BB10 and show how it makes life easier. Show people what the new BlackBerry can do. What do you think?
    xBURK, cckgz4, dbiv5445 and 2 others like this.
    11-17-13 02:53 PM
    I do see a lot of advertisements online now, side bar stuff.
    But IMHO that don't work. When I see an ad in my browser I don't think oh look at that or wow that looks good, I think
    Why isn't my ad blocker working properly...

Posted via CB10
    pttptppt likes this.
    11-17-13 02:59 PM
    But IMHO that don't work. When I see an ad in my browser I don't think oh look at that or wow that looks good, I think
    So true. But I wasn't thinking of sidebar ads. I was thinking of television, magazines, big posters at the mall and subway station. That sort of thing.

Now, when people think of BlackBerry, they mostly think of something old, outdated, like Palm. I'm thinking, show them that BlackBerry is new again. Present it as cutting-edge, not your father's BlackBerry.
    11-17-13 03:04 PM
    I like your idea for sure. Even though it's nice to see more side bar advertising now, it's not the same as telling people what to buy as the big companies do. I also feel BlackBerry has to bring some humor if they're going to start a new campaign. Nothing like a company making fun of themselves to make people warm up to them.

Posted via CB10
    tharrison4815 and potatoguy like this.
    11-17-13 03:06 PM
    People here have no shortage of advice on how BlackBerry could reverse its flagging fortunes, so I thought I'd toss in my two cents. I was thinking about the brilliant ad campaign that Kellogg's Corn Flakes ran a few years ago on the slogan "taste them again for the first time." Maybe BlackBerry could try something similar.

Older folks (I'm 50) remember when BlackBerry owned the smartphone market, but many younger people probably don't even know what BlackBerry is, apart from a kind of jam. And how many people even know that BlackBerry has a brand new operating system and a new set of touch-screen devices? Not many, apparently.

So why not capitalize on both the nostalgia of the BlackBerry name and the promise of an all-new experience? They still have a lot of money. Why not put some of it into a massive ad campaign on the theme "The New BlackBerry: Try it Again for the First Time!" Or something like that. Each ad could illustrate a new feature of BB10 and show how it makes life easier. Show people what the new BlackBerry can do. What do you think?
    You know what? Why not? I kind of like the premise. The reliable brand reborn.
    11-17-13 03:08 PM
    HAAHAAAA! Exactly! I hate sidebar ads and have only ever clicked on once--and that was for the Microsoft Surface, which I was considering buying anyway. I think online ads are by and large useless and ineffective, but yet Google was able to build an empire on exactly that.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 03:21 PM
    Advertise as much as you like but the first thing to do is to get the product right and Blackberry have missed the target in many instances with the Z10 as they have in giving loyal customers a feeling that Blackberry have any concern for them., customers only take so much.

Here in Indonesia there is plenty of advertising btw and a massive market but BB10 devices are too expensive, more expensive than in the UK and people here earn a lot less, even so on release day in Indonesia there wasn't enough Z10's to satisfy demand.

Advertise all they want but yntil they get the basics right it is just a big waste of money
    11-17-13 03:22 PM
    Advertise as much as you like but the first thing to do is to get the product right
    Completely agree.
    11-17-13 03:27 PM
    I like your idea for sure. Even though it's nice to see more side bar advertising now, it's not the same as telling people what to buy as the big companies do. I also feel BlackBerry has to bring some humor if they're going to start a new campaign. Nothing like a company making fun of themselves to make people warm up to them.
    Yes, that's a great idea. I love funny ads, and there are so many avenues of humor available, too. They could even poke fun at their name. "Try the new BlackBerry?" "No thanks, I'm not hungry."

BlackBerry: Can Your Jam do This?
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    11-17-13 03:35 PM
    What do you think about this : "Same name, but an other BlackBerry ".

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 03:40 PM
    The same slogan thing should have been created by BlackBerry when PlayBook 2.0 arrived. Did it happen? Nope. Maybe at some point BlackBerry will play this marketing game a lot better.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 03:49 PM
    BB is awesome. Long live BB!

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30.
    11-17-13 04:05 PM
    It's kind of interesting. You can't make money just giving things away for free but ever since the Z10 dropped to $0 with contract I've started seeing more and more. I asked my Verizon rep what he thought and he said that there are a core group of people who are eligible for upgrades that only upgrade if the phone is free. Otherwise, this group sees no need to upgrade. The reps use this opportunity to try to unload their Z10's. It's really one of few 4gLTE smartphones that is completely free.

Posted with my Q10 on Verizon from Philly
    11-17-13 04:08 PM
    I guess it comes down to Mr. Chen and the new surrounding staff he assembles. We should see what direction they'll take in the coming months. I really hope they take marketing to a new level. BlackBerry has never gotten this right.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by xBURK; 11-17-13 at 04:51 PM.
    11-17-13 04:18 PM
    I think BlackBerry really needs to show the things these phones do that set them apart from the others. People need a reason to change.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 05:12 PM
    whats wrong with a commercial like the one on you tube that was made just before it actually launched? I think that would get peoples attention.

11-17-13 05:25 PM
    whats wrong with a commercial like the one on you tube that was made just before it actually launched? I think that would get peoples attention.

Not bad. Not bad at all.
    potatoguy likes this.
    11-17-13 05:37 PM

That concept works very well also. Good point.

Posted via CB10
    potatoguy likes this.
    11-17-13 05:38 PM
    The only problem is that this "Pre Super Bowl" commercial was done on spec, meaning it isn't official and never aired (as well as too long). We, instead, got this nonsense...

My preference would be "Black is back..."

The only problem I see with a new campaign, especially one asking people to try it again, is that BB10 phones are hard to find in carrier stores in the U.S.
    11-17-13 07:18 PM
    What about a commersial with a black Q10 in focus and the theme song is Back in Black by AC/DC?

Fade to Black would work too.
    11-17-13 07:22 PM
    i just put that to show that a good commercial can be made, something that grabs your attention, the pre super bowl commercial would have been something that should have been aired about a month before BB10 was launched.to get people talking and then at launch air something that shows off the new phone and its capabilities , with a slogan that went something like "the new BlackBerry 10 is here, you wont even realize its a BlackBerry." or something along those lines. Something to say its different from previous BlackBerry's
    11-18-13 05:36 AM
    I like the idea of a renewed product in the ads...but until the app situation is fixed, I'm doubtful of how much BlackBerry can regain...I'm not super big on apps(besides a few) but I can't deny that the only major issue...the app gap

And the 10.2.1.xxxx os updates that allow Apk downloads aren't the same as having an appealing app store. I don't feel like most will use that method.

I really hope BlackBerry gets some better marketing and figure out the gap.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 05:57 AM
    I like the idea of a renewed product in the ads...but until the app situation is fixed, I'm doubtful of how much BlackBerry can regain...I'm not super big on apps(besides a few) but I can't deny that the only major issue...the app gap

And the 10.2.1.xxxx os updates that allow Apk downloads aren't the same as having an appealing app store. I don't feel like most will use that method.

I really hope BlackBerry gets some better marketing and figure out the gap.

Posted via CB10
    I agree its not going to be an over night win back, but Blackberry will have to content its self with winning one customer back at a time and get the enterprise part of the company to keep the bills paid. As more people buy the phones the apps will come. But it s a chicken and egg kinda deal.
    Had they gotten a good response from the consumers at launch, the apps would have been here sooner rather than later.
    11-18-13 06:32 AM