A lot of the better hospitals do offer wifi in certain locations, which is no small kindness to visitors who often have to spend long hours on site under difficult circumstances. But that's not where the sawbones hang out and there isn't free wifi everywhere in hospitals. I'd imagine that would be a HIPPA nightmare if there were.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to use it everywhere I was carted. Even down in radiology, which was a surprise. This hospital is big on info tech, and the amount of workstations and portables is stunning. Every medicine dose is scanned into the record and verified religiously. The attention to detail was impressive.

The Wi-Fi in the radiology section was great, because I had zero reception on the carrier radio, which I turned off down there to save battery.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 07-01-11 at 12:30 AM.
    07-01-11 12:28 AM
    I love my 9700 and my playbook. I could have any phone and have tried almost all of them. I'm loving BB and will be pairing the 9900 when it arrives. I can honestly promise one thing though. I will not be visiting the forums of other phones to force my choices or preferences on others.

bobauckland likes this.
    07-01-11 12:31 AM
    Blackberrys are good phones, nothing more, the Torch, the phone i use daily, is no better than the first iphone that came out in 2007, app selection is lame, but i do like a physical keyboard and i do use a lot BBM.

I however u say android and iOS suck as a media player. Thats funny because Blackberrys are prettymuch the worst.

07-01-11 12:38 AM
    I love my 9700 and my playbook. I could have any phone and have tried almost all of them. I'm loving BB and will be pairing the 9900 when it arrives. I can honestly promise one thing though. I will not be visiting the forums of other phones to force my choices or preferences on others.

Amen to that. I have better things to do than go cause trouble in a forum not related to my device/interests.

07-01-11 12:56 AM
    Hummmm....I'm sensing members of the show planted in the audience on this one. Call me suspicious, but I'm not buying this. Are we to believe that a two-day BB user is not only totally savvy with the BB OS, it's marketing short-falls and repution, he's found and become a member of CB, he's completely developed an opinion and is doing all of this in-between patients? I'd like to think that my thoughts on this are incorrect, but... If I am wrong, please accept my apology and allow me to welcome you to the BB world!
    Sent from my Verizon Wireless ShoePhone

I came from an iPhone 3G to BB and feel pretty much the same way as the person who started the thread. I hated the fact that my iPhone, which had been top of the range 18 months earlier, was grinding to a halt because of a software update. I trawled crackberry before I actually bought my Torch in order to gauge what issues there may be with the phone etc. After the first day of adapting to the keyboard I was on board. I am very satisfied with my handset and am so glad to be out of the rat race of compulsory updates in order to be able to gain functionality which should have been standard in the first place. Having been on the Torch for about six months now it feels like I have swallowed the red pill. I don't give a toss about all the smug hype crap that surrounds the iPhone. I have spent tens of thousands on professional Apple products and will continue to do so in the future. But the company that used to be likeable is becoming more like what Microsoft used to be in the 90's. My Torch is not without faults but I am a lot more satisfied with it than any other phone I have ever used (apart from maybe my Nokia 6310i nearly ten years ago).
    jacmeister68 likes this.
    07-01-11 03:45 AM
    Bobauckland, Thankyou. Like yourself I have been researching different phones for what seems like months. I didn't think that a Blackberry was for me or my family simply because it's sold as an "enterprise" phone based in e-mail. I like yourself work with clients who text me from time to time with sensitive data, not thinking BB I purchased a HTC HD2 windows phone which I still use but can't wait to lose because of the keypad. Because of my clients I have to observe the UK data protection act, this means basically that cloud services are not an ok storage or backup method, this has to be done locally inicially the windows phone via a Jeyo app. But windows phone 7 is now cloud based so I cannot progress also the call quality is bad generally where ever I am. I have been reading this site now for a while and noted how many people put BB down because it is slow to take up the "App" issue. If call quality may be compromised because the view is that people want to use their phone for high quality music I would rather have a device just for that, it is my view that we cannot have an all singing all dancing cure all device without losing the very quality of the base device purpose, windows phone 7 is just that as is andriod I can't comment on iphone. I intend to wait for the new devices to surface, I've done my homework used the simulators and handled a torch in O2, here again marketing issues, and feel happy with the product. The ability to encrypt feels good and I also need to be able to print all sms messages which it seems I can do vis desktop programe via ABC application, these are sometimes needed in law. There isnt another phone system out there that can do that without breaching Data protection. Sorry for the rant but sometimes folk lose sight of what they have.
    Last edited by daveycrocket; 07-01-11 at 04:28 AM. Reason: add signiture and spelling
    07-01-11 03:52 AM
    You're totally right, I really hope they bring Skype accross the board to the PlayBook and BB Phones. I'd also like to see an App called TextPlus and OoVoO but Blackberry phones don't have a front facing cam yet. As mentioned, I love UMA as well! I'd also like to see an HDMI out and armbands so we can go jogging with it as well. I can't wait for the next round of new handsets, I really want the 9850!
    07-01-11 04:27 AM
    I actually hated opening the market app at all as it would tell me 15 apps needed upgrading and I would just close it down.
    I hear ya. I deal with the relentless upgrading of bunches of PCs and servers all the time. Something always needs patching. Last thing I want is a phone that is that demanding. Not for me.

Glad you found out how cool a BlackBerry can be. Welcome!
    07-01-11 05:51 AM
    Call me a skeptic, but something about this thread is fishy. The review is a bit too "polished" for your typical "love my new BB" post. IMHO. And the timing is a bit interesting too.
    07-01-11 06:40 AM
    I don't see anyone mentioning LinPhone. Its an open source alternative to Skype and has a BlackBerry client. I haven't tried it yet but I definitely think its worth a try since it is open source.

Linphone, open-source voip software | Linphone, an open-source video sip phone
    07-01-11 07:10 AM
    My opinion is the iphone and all the who knows how many android phones out there. Everyone loves the phone at first and are amazed at what the phone can do, but eventually the novelty wears off and they end up using thier phones same a bb user would, but with more annoyance and frustration than any bb user will ever see. a full touch screen android that if it touches your cheeck and the call is ended by your chubby cheeks, or the idropphone, that drops calls every 2nd try.

my curve was great, my torch has been even better, and they do just what i need from a phone, so why would i try the trendy phones?
    Also, people rarely learn how to actually USE their phones beyond the things that are evident on the surface. BlackBerries have lots of shortcuts for efficiency.

07-01-11 07:15 AM
    I can't believe how much conspiracy theories are popping up in a lot of threads lately. Blackjack...........see what you started lol.

I do like blackberries also, I'm glad we have choice. Just hope that RIM doesn't f it up and kill themselves.
    07-01-11 07:26 AM
    blackberry forever !!
    07-01-11 08:13 AM
    thanks for your post! its was brilliant
    07-01-11 08:28 AM
    Welcome Bob! Excellent first post, and I ALMOST missed it too, since I usually skip BB bashing threads, which I thought this was, unless summoned. But then I saw you at the top of the Thanks list and I was like WTF, and I looked in and then got the joke, and added another thanks AND a like!
    07-01-11 08:37 AM
    Interesting post. I myself came back to BB getting a BB 9780 after being caught up in the android hoopla ex: rooted device,custom roms, etc. I went through several android devices and was never completely happy with battery performance. I even posted on pin stacks forum (which was originally a BB site) that I was unhappy with android battery performance and I was going back to BB. I got so much grief from fellow pinstackers but I'm glad I came back. Somehow they made me feel that I was afraid to move on to bigger things because I was going back to BB. I never been so happy with a phone. The BB life is great. Yes I miss angry birds but I've got a ipad2 to play games and use apps on and my BB for communications. In addition to the fact that I'm tough on my phone ex: drop them constantly, I love my BB 9780 cause like an old timed watch it takes a licking and keeps on ticking lol......
    07-01-11 08:54 AM
    I have my Torch for communication (phone, chat, email, etc) and my Ipod Touch 4G for games. I think is the best of both worlds.

BB's are the best communicators.
    07-01-11 09:40 AM
    You made the right choice, i had 2 and can honestly say going back to a normal phone(which i did for 2 months) was TORTURE!
    07-01-11 11:17 AM
    Never knew BB had such a devout following!! Almost cult-like!! Don't get me wrong, I love my Torch and think this forum is one of the most informational and useful I've ever come across....but the fanaticism is almost scary! Wouldn't want to run into any of you chaps in a dark alley with an I-phone in my hand!! LoL
    07-01-11 01:21 PM
    I can't speak for everyone- but you would be safe around me! I DO love my Blackberry though so don't even bother to try to convert me. lol And therein lies the problem- we, as a community are tired of others telling us how bad our devices are and pushing theirs down our throats. As you can see - many of us want a phone that fits our needs and our Blackberry's do that. I appreciate that your iphone is the phone for you.
    07-01-11 03:12 PM
    My 9700 was stolen two weeks ago ...I have ATT and I looked at the atrix among other things.

The samsung galaxy S2 has tempts me, it's probably a better phone, but I feel if I get a non BB, in 1 to 6 months, depending on how stubborn I am, I will be writing a message just like yours.
    07-01-11 04:50 PM
    I can't speak for everyone- but you would be safe around me! I DO love my Blackberry though so don't even bother to try to convert me. lol And therein lies the problem- we, as a community are tired of others telling us how bad our devices are and pushing theirs down our throats. As you can see - many of us want a phone that fits our needs and our Blackberry's do that. I appreciate that your iphone is the phone for you.
    Think you may have mis-interpreted my post. I was simply trying to make a joke (which I obviously failed at), I'm a happy and proud BB Torch owner, have never even owned an I-phone. But I'm a noobie on these forums so I just honestly never knew BB had such devout followers! Getting familiar with the search engine here and finding so many invaluable threads of information I'm sure in no time I'll be a true Crackberry addict!
    07-01-11 05:38 PM
    I use my blackberry for nothing but the internet and I love it. I've had no problems at all with it.

07-01-11 10:48 PM
    Hummmm....I'm sensing members of the show planted in the audience on this one. Call me suspicious, but I'm not buying this. Are we to believe that a two-day BB user is not only totally savvy with the BB OS, it's marketing short-falls and repution, he's found and become a member of CB, he's completely developed an opinion and is doing all of this in-between patients? I'd like to think that my thoughts on this are incorrect, but... If I am wrong, please accept my apology and allow me to welcome you to the BB world!
    Sent from my Verizon Wireless ShoePhone

I think he's genuine. Two years ago, I read and read about iPhone and BlackBerry. Took me about 6 months of reading comments, reviews, articles on the net, visiting crackberry, BGR website etc before finally deciding that BlackBerry would be a better choice.

Unfortunately, as OP has mentioned, there were many posts thrashing RIM and BlackBerry and there were even a few articles predicting the death of RIM. To cut the long story short, I walked into my carrier Mobile Centre with the thought of getting myself a Curve 8520 but walked out with an iPhone 3GS instead - after being mesmerized by its "potential" and remembering all the negative things said about RIM and BB.

And then the suffering began. 3 months after that, I sold off my iPhone 3GS to a friend (who eventually sold it to another friend -- he also couldn't bear it after the novelty had worn off) and continued to use my old reliable Nokia 6230i for the next couple of months. I eventually purchased a Curve 8520 and after 3 days of using it (and becoming a total convert), I traded it and got myself a brand new 9780.

Perhaps the sales of BB is not doing well in North America. But, where I am at, the sales of BB is picking up pace. Several universities have even handed out BB to their top management team. And it's no longer a strange sight to see teenagers / students using a BB with BBM being cited as one of the reasons for their choice.

I think, over here, (most) people tend to choose something that is more practical and long lasting over something that is flashy, sophisticated but may not be so practical to own and use (that's why Nokia is still the King here).

Anyhow, I think it's great that once in a while you get to read stories (confessions?) about how good BB really is as opposed to the gloom and doom about RIM and BB.
    07-01-11 11:44 PM
    Think you may have mis-interpreted my post. I was simply trying to make a joke (which I obviously failed at), I'm a happy and proud BB Torch owner, have never even owned an I-phone. But I'm a noobie on these forums so I just honestly never knew BB had such devout followers! Getting familiar with the search engine here and finding so many invaluable threads of information I'm sure in no time I'll be a true Crackberry addict!
    I think you'll find a lot of people appear overly devout and fanatical because they feel the need to counteract all the bashing that's been allowed on here lately.

Welcome to the forum.

I had an iPhone, but ended up giving it to my wife. When it comes to actually making phone calls, the BB is a better phone than the iPhone. No question. My wife loves all the little cutesy apps, but she's constantly asking to use my BB to make a call.
    07-02-11 12:17 AM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD