I bought my first BlackBerry today - a Curve 9310. I currently have a Motorola Droid 3 with a contract but was intending to drop the contract when it ended, and was looking for a suitable prepaid replacement. Just recently, with the advertisements about the new BlackBerry release, I started thinking about BB and whether it would fit my needs.
    My needs are simple: I want a cell phone that will sync calendar, contacts, and notes with Outlook on my desktop without going through an external source like an Exchange Server (which I don't have) or a cloud service (which I avoid as much as possible). I should be able to sync with Gmail (my school uses it). I also want a physical QWERTY keyboard. Phone calls and text messages of course, with RSS feeds for news. Seems that BB is the only OS these days that will sync directly with Outlook on the desktop. I don't know what Microsoft was thinking when they decided to remove that function, and I think they lost a few users over that, including me. Android has worked fine for me - I finally got Gmail under control (I think) and use a separately-purchased piece of software to sync Outlook, but I'm getting fed up with Google and their privacy policy issues, among other things.

Oh yeah, before I get into the issues, I want to tell you about my purchasing experience. The only place in town I could find a prepaid BB was at Radio Shack. When I told the salesman I wanted the BB, he laughed and asked why I would ever want a BB. According to him, BlackBerry is getting out of the cell phone business because they're doing so poorly; the network is constantly being hacked because many corporations and the government use it and everyone knows it which makes them a prime target; they've spent millions of dollars trying to keep it running and are losing money; and due to the hacking, the network goes down EVERY YEAR for at least three months. When he finished trying to put me off the BB, I asked if Android or iPhone could sync Outlook on my desktop with my phone without going through an external source, and he said no. I said, No, even Mobile Windows doesn't do that anymore, but BlackBerry does. I'll have that BlackBerry, please. (I really didn't like his attitude.)

So, now I have my BB home and have tinkered with it a bit. I've synchronized my Outlook with it - looking good. Sent text messages to a few people to tell them I'm test-driving this phone, and that's when I found my first major problem - the keyboard is small. I have long fingers and am having a hard time holding the phone in a way that I can type quickly and comfortably. The 9310 (the whole phone) is the same size as the face of my Droid 3. Plus, my Droid has a full-sized, slide-out keyboard. I can type like mad on that - the 9310, not so much. I'm worse on it than with an on-screen keyboard. The Curve 9310 was the only option available for a prepaid, and I wanted the prepaid for two reasons: 1) I'm just testing it to see if it's what I want, and 2) I'm trying to get out of cell phone contracts altogether. If I decide I want to continue with a BB because BlackBerry is my best option, I would consider a contract plan if it meant getting a better device, and by better I mean a larger keyboard and maybe a bit more screen. Do other BBs have bigger keyboards? Slightly bigger, maybe? Touch screen would be nice, too, WITH a physical keyboard, but again, I'm trying to go with prepaid, and most prepaids I've found only offer the Curve.

Suggestions? Choices? Wait for the new phones?
    Thank you
    01-04-13 09:09 PM
    First, welcome to Crackberry. Tons of info on here. By what you are describing, I would suggest taking a look at BlackBerry 10. There are two devices launching at the end of the month. The first is a full touch and the second is a QWERTY device. The OS on these will be nothing like what you are using on your Curve but the key features you are looking for will be there and many more as well. It will be a far more advanced system. If you haven't yet, and sounds like you haven't, take a look through the forums and Youtube and you will see a glimpse of what BB10 has to offer.

Again, welcome and good luck.
    01-04-13 09:45 PM
    Its not really and answer, but I will say that you will get used to the keyboard size. I have owned a curve, and a torch slider, and after about a week or so, you will get used to the keyboard size. We as humans are amazingly adaptive.
    01-04-13 09:58 PM
    If you do check out the QWERTY (X10) don't judge how it looks because it most likely is a Dev Alpha C device. We won't find out until January 30th.

But, if you are still really curious check out the Bold 9900. Big keyboard too.

However, the new devices are just a few weeks away and so if I were you I would Definitely check out some demos on this site as well as Youtube search BlackBerry 10.
    01-04-13 10:11 PM
    I have a Torch 9810 and it took me a bit of time to get use to the keyboard. Now I just sense the keys with my fingers as I type and have no problems. I also do have big fingers. I am sure you will enjoy your new BB phone.
    01-04-13 11:03 PM
    if you're used to the horizontal KB of the Droid, the BB will take a little bit of getting used to, but you will get used to it.

If you want a nicer BB, the 9900 is primo QWERTY typing, otherwise holding out for BB10 X10 is the other option, same QWERTY as the 9900 I believe
    01-04-13 11:14 PM
    Bold 9900 as stated above is the grand piano of keyboards. I love mine!
    BB10 is coming Jan 30th with the all new and best typing experience on any full touch.
    As stated you will get used to what you have, in no time flat I bet your fingers are flying on that baby. Hope you enjoy.
    Come back and add to the discussion. Cheers!
    01-04-13 11:29 PM
    Which prepaid service are you using? If its a gsm prepaid service with a SIM card you could get a used bold from eBay and use that for less than $300. The bold has the best blackberry keyboard and a touchscreen.
    01-04-13 11:35 PM
    Find an old Pearl and type on that for a while. The Curve will be a pleasure after that.
    01-04-13 11:58 PM
    Useful information and maintained it on your different way.....
    01-05-13 12:50 AM
    Thanks for all the info. I've seen pictures of the new BBs coming out and I'm definitely interested in the touch-type version. It looks like the 9900 is another option with it's "grand piano" keyboard (love that). Pictures are nice but I prefer to hear from actual users their experiences, likes, and dislikes. My current contract with the Android runs out in December, so I have time to work it out.

As for the prepaid question asked by fernandez21, I'm using Boost mobile because it was the best option (the cheapest prepaid BlackBerry option in my area). Boost is CDMA. I'm researching other options right now. I really would like to go with a prepaid but I have to weigh all the factors. I will gladly take suggestions on how to put an X10 (when they come out) or a 9900 on a prepaid plan.

Thanks again.
    01-05-13 10:05 AM
    Thanks for all the info. I've seen pictures of the new BBs coming out and I'm definitely interested in the touch-type version. It looks like the 9900 is another option with it's "grand piano" keyboard (love that). Pictures are nice but I prefer to hear from actual users their experiences, likes, and dislikes. My current contract with the Android runs out in December, so I have time to work it out.

As for the prepaid question asked by fernandez21, I'm using Boost mobile because it was the best option (the cheapest prepaid BlackBerry option in my area). Boost is CDMA. I'm researching other options right now. I really would like to go with a prepaid but I have to weigh all the factors. I will gladly take suggestions on how to put an X10 (when they come out) or a 9900 on a prepaid plan.

Thanks again.
    Over at the BlackBerry Z10 forum you can find a few threads on people who have played with the new Z10 device.
    Here is a link to one of those certain threads: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7826383

And another: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...2/#post7821761
    01-05-13 11:40 AM
    According to him, BlackBerry is getting out of the cell phone business because they're doing so poorly; the network is constantly being hacked because many corporations and the government use it and everyone knows it which makes them a prime target; they've spent millions of dollars trying to keep it running and are losing money; and due to the hacking, the network goes down EVERY YEAR for at least three months.
    That salesperson has quite an active imagination.
    01-05-13 11:45 AM
    Thanks for all the info. I've seen pictures of the new BBs coming out and I'm definitely interested in the touch-type version. It looks like the 9900 is another option with it's "grand piano" ..........................Thanks again.
    Welcome to CrackBerry
    01-05-13 12:03 PM

Thanks again.
    Boost is owned by Sprint, but I'm not sure if you could activate a Sprint phone on a Boost plan. You might want to ask at Boost if you can do that. If you can, then you could get a 9930 Bold, which is the Sprint version, and activate it there. Same thing when BB10 phones come out, although those will be alot more expensive.

Other pre paid options that are GSM include at&t, t-mobile, str8ttalk, and wal-mart. I think net-10 is also gsm. MetroPSC will also flash just about any device to work on their network, so you could also ask them if its possible to activate a CDMA Bold with them.
    01-05-13 03:56 PM