Hey guys! Im new to the CrackBerry community am excited to see what my device can actually do. Until recently I owned a BlackBerry Pearl 8100 with, I assume the oldest OS available until it kicked the can a few days ago. But even when it worked I only really used the Pearl for calls and texts and used my iPod Touch (8G, first gen) for everything else like music (obvious), iCal, Address Book, or just on the go entertainment (via apps). I have T-Mobile and upgraded to the 8220 Flip and it opened up a whole side of BlackBerry I never knew. I was interested when I saw that I could now use my phone for music, Wi-Fi, and keeping class schedules as well as assignment dates (college student). Heres the catch, I use a MacBook... Not that I feel like thats is a bad thing, I love my MacBook, but does that leave me somewhat crippled in taking full advantage of my new BB? I already put some music on it by clicking and dragging songs from my iTunes into the music folder with no flaws and downloaded "PocketMac" to sync my iCal and Address Book. Here's the problem, i'm tired of carrying around both a phone and an iPod, and because now they both have similar functions ... which do I use as my primary device? Ok I realize that the question is rather subjective but I just want some opinions from experienced users with BB as I already have plenty of exp. with the iPod.

((Also as a side note, I have entertained the idea of buying an unlocked or used Storm, buying a 16G microSD and letting my older sister who needs a new phone have the 8220 and replacing both the iPod and 8220 instead of fighting between the two))

Basically I want something that I can both keep all my music (which is at least 8G), Wi-Fi capable (for e-mail, or just youtube), can keep my class and work schedule, and I prefer an external speaker (which the iPod doesn't have) because in the college life it helps to have something in your pocket with an alarm after a long night of "consumption"...

Thanks for the input guys! Sorry about the long first post!
    07-18-09 02:26 AM
    if i were you instead of an unlocked storm i would either look into the 8900 better screen than pearl flip for youtube type viewing and stuff also has louder speaker with more memory. obviously the storm has a bigger screen but is still a bit buggy and i would wait it out till a storm 2. or you can sell your itouch and buy an iphone 3g or 3gs even a used 2g and unlock it for use on tmobile alot of people have. seems like what you are looking for.

so if you want physical keyboard and the work aspect of BB i would say get an 8900 if you want more media which it seems you do look into an unlocked iphone just my .02

i have all apple computers and used ipod's and iphone's a lot along with BB's so i love both! but it all depends on your needs i am fortunate to have both right now. when i do a lot of work on the go i use my bold since the keyboard is easier to type emails and reports on but for most of my use and personal use i use my iphone 3gs. idk which i would pick if it had to be only one but the iphone certainly syncs easier with mac's

but this is just my .02 good luck with your decision
    07-18-09 02:37 AM
    Hi I am a college student as well and owned an iMac and Macbook Pro. I have used both Blackberrys and iPhone trying to find the best device and to solve your solution, your best choice is the iPhone. Mainly because it sync seamlessly with Mail, iCal, Address book, notes etc. It especially works like a charm when you have Mobile Me as it acts like BES for consumers in Apple's world.

I really like Blackberrys, the security from RIM gives me a peace of mind when using the device especially when using the web browser for banking and using password keeper. However when using the iPhone I am not as confident that the security is as safe as Blackberrys so I don't use it for banking or download any password keeper apps from the App store.

So if you want one device and will work like a charm for your Mac I will suggest iPhone with Mobile Me (unless you sync your phone to your Mac frequently). You can get a 16GB iPhone 3G on ebay for about $350-400USD now a days or you can get the new iPhone 3GS which many users saids its worth upgrading from 3G.
    Last edited by tacsniper; 07-18-09 at 09:40 AM.
    07-18-09 09:35 AM
    Hi I am a college student as well and owned an iMac and Macbook Pro. I have used both Blackberrys and iPhone trying to find the best device and to solve your solution, your best choice is the iPhone. Mainly because it sync seamlessly with Mail, iCal, Address book, notes etc. It especially works like a charm when you have Mobile Me as it acts like BES for consumers in Apple's world.

I really like Blackberrys, the security from RIM gives me a peace of mind when using the device especially when using the web browser for banking and using password keeper. However when using the iPhone I am not as confident that the security is as safe as Blackberrys so I don't use it for banking or download any password keeper apps from the App store.

So if you want one device and will work like a charm for your Mac I will suggest iPhone with Mobile Me (unless you sync your phone to your Mac frequently). You can get a 16GB iPhone 3G on ebay for about $350-400USD now a days or you can get the new iPhone 3GS which many users saids its worth upgrading from 3G.
    do you work for apple or somethin? boy they push Mobile Me likea mofo lmao!

but its true. my bb works like crap on my imac. but on my pcits perfect.
    07-18-09 09:43 AM
    If I were you I would go with the 8900 that's a great bb and being a mac user my self I sync all my iCal and adress book stuff useing colabaration and google sync for the bb to keep everything in sync. You have to have a gmail account and a gcal. I also drag and drop all my music and some videos to my bb as well. I have a iPod touch that I will take with me once in a while if I know I'm going to have slot of downtime and I know I'm going to be playing games.
    Hope this helps.
    07-18-09 09:54 AM
    Hey-

I'd look into an 8900. I have a Macbook and I don't sync it using Pocketmac, what I do is I sync my iCal with my Google Calendar, then use Google Sync to wirelessly sync those two- works great. Same with contacts- the same program that syncs my iCal and Gcal syncs my contacts if I want it to (I don't, I don't use Mail because Google doesn't really work well with it).

As for music, I still like my ipod better for music. I keep what I call my "backup playlist" on my BB- my fave songs incase my ipod dies, but I still carry both around. It's not a big deal.
    07-18-09 10:06 AM
    do you work for apple or somethin? boy they push Mobile Me likea mofo lmao!

but its true. my bb works like crap on my imac. but on my pcits perfect.
    haha yea i dont really get the point in mobileme for 100 bux a year unless your never near a comp. i thought it did something revolutionary but i tried the 30 day trial and anyone who syncs daily will find it useless but apple frigging loves it haha the only cool thing is you do get a good email and a web domain.
    07-18-09 10:50 AM
    There one good reason for having a me account if your have a iphone and that the kill switch I have friends that have a me account and that the only reason they have it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-09 10:58 AM
    the only reason I like mobile me is because it wirelessly syncs my mail, cal, address book and bookmarks so I don't have to sync my iPhone at all for long periods of time to get updated info on all my Macs and iPhone. For $100 a year, I just think of it as spending on a BES service for Blackberry instead
    07-18-09 11:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD