I'm a total newbie; a matter of fact my 8310 Curve hasn't even arrived yet. Is there anything that I can do to my BB before I notify my IT dept. to hook up my BB to their servers? I want to be able to sync my BB to my personal PC and not just my corporate PC. Not doing anything unethical, just want to be able to sync my work calendar & contacts to my personal calendar & contacts. Should I do anything before my IT dept hits my BB for the 1st time?
    02-16-08 04:35 PM
    Yes, install all the applications your want. Like Viigo, Yahoo messenger, GTalk, etc, etc...

Once it's on the BES server, you have to abide by the server rules. Having said that, some servers are set to not allow said applications to 'connect'...
    02-16-08 04:44 PM
    I would recommend checking with your IT dept to find out what they restrict first.

As for syncing with your personal PC, any PIM function that you choose to sync via the Desktop Software cannot be synced wirelessly with BES, and vice versa. So, if you want to sync the addres book with you personal PC you need to stop syncing it wirelessly with BES and sync it to both you office and personal PC through the Desktop Software. Before doing this you'll want to make sure you can install the Desktop Software on your office PC and also whether the security policy pushed down by BES will even let you do this.

Another thing to keep in mind. If you don't sync the calendar wirelessly then you will not be able to accpet or deline calendar items that are emailed to you on the device. They will just appear as a message. You'll have to go back to you office PC to accept them and have them applied to your calendar.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-08 09:29 PM
    I can't install any software on the office PC and my usage agreement says that all data on my BB will deleted once I connect it to the BES. It looks like my IT dept's overprotective policies will curb my productivity yet again!
    02-18-08 10:23 AM
    Sorry to hear that, but a data wipe is pretty much a standard practice when activating a Blackberry on a BES.

Do you pay for this Blackberry and it's service yourself of does your employer? If the latter, then you're pretty much stuck with their configuration or politely turn down their offer of the Blackberry if you can do so without negatively impacting your career. If the former, then there might be a way around this. Maybe you could configure your office mail client to forward everything to the blackberry.net email address that comes with the service. That will get your email on your BB without tieing it to BES. If you can do this without annoying your IT dept or getting yourself fired for violating a security policy then on the BIS homepage you can set the "reply to" on your blackberry.net account to whatever your work email address is.

Have you talked to your supervisor or a manager about having the Blackberry Desktop software installed on your office PC for you? While BES will backup a BB over the air, there may be a business case you can make to have BB Desktop installed. Disallowing the end user to install software on their PC is a fairly standard IT practice, but there is usually an avenue for getting something approved if it is related to your work. It's not like you're asking them to install Kazaa or some other crapware. If you can get them to approve that, then you can turn off the wireless sync on the PIM functions you want to sync between your PC's.

Did you ask them about the details of the IT policy they will push down to your BB if you join it to their BES? Will they let you install your own apps on the BB, allow you to turn off wireless sync, etc? On BES the device policy can be as loose or as restrictive as they want, and everyone sets theirs differently.
    02-18-08 12:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD