Well as BB 10 grows, there is a certain point when they will have to care.
    03-08-13 04:42 PM
    If BB10 sells well enough they'll make an app. If it doesn't they won't.
    bekkay likes this.
    03-08-13 04:53 PM
    I cant wait til we have netflix on bb10. it will mean that all the threads crying about not having it and all threads saying people are stupid for wanting it will stop...
    They'll just migrate to another reason for saying those same things LOL
    03-08-13 04:58 PM
    If BB10 sells well enough they'll make an app. If it doesn't they won't.
    Exactly. As an app developer, where would you concentrate your efforts?

"Netflix Illustrates BlackBerry's App Weakness"-imagexzp.jpg
    03-08-13 08:25 PM
    Not everybody is going to take an ipad on public transit over their phone... This should be obvious. Never mind the obvious portability and data plan reasons, not everyone owns a tablet....
    If you take your Android, Windows Phone or iPhone on the MTA expecting seamless and smooth Netflix streaming over EVDO, HSPA+ or LTE, you're going to be disappointed!
    03-08-13 09:56 PM
    Exactly. As an app developer, where would you concentrate your efforts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagexzp.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	140015
    Depends. Market share =/= buying potential.

It's a bit like a retail chain announcing that it isn't going to maintain stores in New York City, because Atlanta is growing faster and the vast majority of the US population lives outside of NYC. Does that mean there's no money to be made in NY?
    03-08-13 09:58 PM
    I recently got a hankering to watch the original Die Hard. Seemed like something Netflix might have.

Netflix - No
    Blackberry World - Yes
    Amazon Prime - Yes

This situation has repeated itself about 5 times recently. I'm just about ready to cancel my subscription. The documentaries start repeating themselves after a while. Keep hearing that it'd be a nice option to have, but seems pretty useless if there is nothing but crap to watch on unreliable wild wi-fi. They will need to go in the House of Cards direction A LOT more to even pique my interest.
    03-08-13 10:24 PM
    Even if they go in the House of Cards direction, why not just get the episodes via BB World, or Xbox Music, or iTunes? The new stuff will be rentable (or buyable) on those stores a LONG time before Netflix gets it.
    03-08-13 10:27 PM
    Even if they go in the House of Cards direction, why not just get the episodes via BB World, or Xbox Music, or iTunes? The new stuff will be rentable (or buyable) on those stores a LONG time before Netflix gets it.
    House of Cards is a series I think is owned by Netflix, so won't be available anywhere else as far as I know. They need more of that and it needs to be good to make up for the dearth of movie selection quality.
    03-08-13 10:33 PM
    Agreed... I don't think a handful of "exclusives" will keep people dependent on Netflix any more than it would for HBO.
    03-08-13 10:35 PM
    [QUOTE=brmiller1976;8093520]Depends. Market share =/= buying potential.

It's a bit like a retail chain announcing that it isn't going to maintain stores in New York City, because Atlanta is growing faster and the vast majority of the US population lives outside of NYC. Does that mean there's no money to be made in NY?[/

I don't know if there is money to be made in NY(BB) or not, but isn't that the reason developers are citing for not developing for BB10?
    03-08-13 10:37 PM
    I don't know if there is money to be made in NY(BB) or not, but isn't that the reason developers are citing for not developing for BB10?
    It's more an analogy.

To me, saying "there are more people with Android devices than BlackBerry devices, so we cannot develop for BB" is a bit like saying "there are more Americans in the western USA than NYC, so we won't sell in New York," or "there are more Americans than Canadians, so we shouldn't sell in Canada." It's giving up a lucrative market of millions of people for no good reason.
    03-08-13 10:39 PM
    IMO, if they're trying to win over android/iphone users and gain market share back, they need to be able to pick up the Z10 and look at it and say, ok, my iphone 5/android is able to play netflix movies, app A, app B, etc... I use this application, and if the Z10 doesn't do that, then I can't consider the device.
    03-08-13 10:40 PM
    I dunno. The lack of Internet Explorer and Microsoft Office didn't prevent Windows Mobile users from going to Android and iOS. It's more about functionality than "familiar apps."
    shemaree09 likes this.
    03-08-13 10:41 PM
    I dunno. The lack of Internet Explorer and Microsoft Office didn't prevent Windows Mobile users from going to Android and iOS. It's more about functionality than "familiar apps."
    they dont pay for IE, chrome, or the BB10 browser. the do pay fees for netflix though. That makes a bigger difference on "comparable" apps
    03-08-13 10:53 PM
    IMO, if they're trying to win over android/iphone users and gain market share back, they need to be able to pick up the Z10 and look at it and say, ok, my iphone 5/android is able to play netflix movies, app A, app B, etc... I use this application, and if the Z10 doesn't do that, then I can't consider the device.

I mostly agree. i think for the average user on other platforms, it will definitely help to remove any discernible excuse by at least matching the app functionality.

I don't believe the lack of any one app can sink a platform, but the presence could definitely help.
    03-08-13 11:01 PM
    tre, the problem is, at this current time, this is BBRY's hail mary. I own a Bold 9900 and a Z10, and am praying they don't go out of business. A lot of the problem is there's a lot of "hipsters'' who think having a device with a half eaten apple or a small green robot in their pocket makes them cool. They mess around with app 1, app 2, etc, but when it's all said and done, it's a damn phone with web browsing capabilities... It's really hard to convince a fanboy or brand loyalist to switch (especially when they're idiots) to, or back to, an older name.
    03-08-13 11:43 PM
    I cant wait til we have netflix on bb10. it will mean that all the threads crying about not having it and all threads saying people are stupid for wanting it will stop...
    THIS is the main reason I'm hoping and praying that Netflix will eventually come to bb10. then this madness will stop.

Either way, I see the reason people want it for bb10. Long trips, hdmi out etc...
    Personally, I won't use it as I do commute to work but podcasts and musoc get me by and at home I use Netflix through my wii. I understand the need for it though. You know what that is? Because people want it. That's why. Plain and simple.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 06:53 PM
    If Android ports on BB10 are second class then it stands to reason that all apps on Android are second class.

BURN!

Posted via CB10
    SnoozerBold likes this.
    03-09-13 10:12 PM
    People are missing the point. If success requires BB to adopt the "me too apps," then BB will always be playing catch-up.

Success requires BB to release "killer apps" -- apps that are on BB first.

One reason that Microsoft is losing, badly, in mobile is because it's focused on saying "we have the same apps iOS and Android have" rather than focusing on apps that are Windows Phone only (and there are quite a few good ones). BB should take the same approach.

"You could get Netflix, and not be able to watch these 50 popular movies. Or you could get BlackBerry and get access to them on your device -- without any extra apps!" Seems a good start -- and when Netflix complains, say "well, you're not a key partner, so don't complain. Sign up with us and we'll stop advertising BBWorld's advantages against Netflix -- until then, you're a competitor!"

Slacker Radio was very successful with this strategy against Pandora for the last couple of months. No reason BB can't be as well. After all, people only see Netflix as "a way to get movies," and if BB offers MORE and BETTER movies already, there's no harm in tooting that horn.

Use the lack of Netflix as a position of strength to point out the LACK of options that Netflix provides versus BBWorld, and the strength of BBWorld itself. Argue that BBWorld is better than Netflix and a reason to come over to BB to get something superior.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    03-10-13 01:19 AM
    It's been a while since I read a Netflix thread, but in other threads it has been mentioned that DRM management has been the problem with getting a Netflix app on the PlayBook and I assume OS10. It requires either something the OS cannot currently provide, or control over the OS BlackBerry doesn't want to relinquish, such as root access. Otherwise, a third party would have written an application by now considering the demand.
    03-10-13 05:14 PM
    It's been a while since I read a Netflix thread, but in other threads it has been mentioned that DRM management has been the problem with getting a Netflix app on the PlayBook and I assume OS10. It requires either something the OS cannot currently provide, or control over the OS BlackBerry doesn't want to relinquish, such as root access. Otherwise, a third party would have written an application by now considering the demand.
    No third parties can write an app. Netflix killed even the limited APIs that were available just this past week.

Trust me, when BBRY makes it worth Netflix's while, it'll be on BBRY devices.
    03-10-13 05:56 PM
    Maybe I am strange, weird, out of touch...I don't know. I couldn't give a rat's a$$ if my blackberry or any other mobile device has Netflix. Aside from the fact that I ended my Netflix subscription in circa 2008 (a lot of their stuff, at least what I am interested in, can be found on YouTube or other such web sites), I always carry my MacBook Air around (with a mobile hot spot). I can do all of that on the go with a MUCH larger screen than any mobile device. I never, personally, got the appeal of watching movies on a cell phone. ::shrug::
    shemaree09 likes this.
    03-10-13 11:27 PM
73 123