hi all! I am a long time Motorola Q WinMo user, but for some reason, the BB's have begun calling out to me. When ever this happens, I will indoubtably cave in and get what calls to me. But I am a tad nervous, I have been on WinMo for so long, I was wondering if you can just tell me a few of the major differences I will notice between the WinMo and the BB. What are some things that one has, but not the other? Are they similar in anyway? Is the BB browser similar at all to Explorer on WinMo? Thanks ~ Kim
    07-19-09 06:24 PM
    I hope someone can respond to you. I've used Palm and BB devices - never Windows Mobile. I've heard WinMo is unstable; so, perhaps you will enjoy a stable operating system for once.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-09 06:38 PM
    i had a moto Q9h

i loved it. seemed reliable enough. dropped it in a bucket of water on accident and it still worked!

recently i switched to BB

May only complaint is it feels cheaper than the Q. (lighter)

but its so much more advanced.

BB has been around so much longer and is on a roll

i dont regret the switch and should have done it sooner!
    07-19-09 08:16 PM
    ive been using winmo since xv6600. i went to the 6700, and the 6800. the storm is so much better than those. id like wifi, just for streaming audio and such, but i can live without not using it that much. the screen rules, i got so sick of the stylus. finding bb apps is way better and easier than digging up ones for winmo..
    do it. you'll like it.
    07-19-09 08:41 PM
    What you will notice first is the more stable 'always connected'. Then you will so dependent to its social networking, instant messaging, emails, and map capabilities... Really fantastic... Btw, I was also coming from winmo like many of us did.

07-19-09 08:56 PM
    Switch and don't look back!
    07-19-09 08:58 PM
    thanks everyone. the Q has been a good sturdy phone but i got the itch to change.
    lol it says posted from my crackberry, but it's still the Q!
    07-19-09 09:15 PM
    I've never owned a winmo phone, but i've played with some (our work has a samsong sch-7xx? can't remember the model number) and it is slow and unresponsive, just feels very bloated to me. The BB interface is much nicer. I had the choice of that phone and a Treo 755p for work, and do not regret the 755p at all. Now personally I have a blackberry, and prefer that even more.
    07-19-09 09:51 PM
    I came from a i760 to a BB years ago, BB's are easier to use, the email capabilities are better and its not so confusing as WinMo. My wife just gave up her BB for the Ozone and she likes it although its taking some time to get adjusted. I have played with it and I no longer have the urge to jump ship, not necessarily because of the OS, but that coupled with things like no trackball and crappy camera have me staying put.
    07-19-09 11:47 PM
    I agree about being nervous switching from WinMo to BB....specifically Treo800w to a Tour.

True that the WinMo can be unstable, but this has rarely been an actual issue for me on the 800w. I think Palm did a great job of maxing out their capabilities with that and the TreoPro, with some help from HTC. The touch screen providing instant touch access to so many configurations like Google search from your home screen, or one touch to check a new voicemail, email, text...along with the other dedicated buttons for contacts, calendar, and nearly anything you want to configure. Maybe the Tour could be configured to provide one touch to a lot of functions, but when I play with BBs in stores it seems like it would always need to be a longer process to get to so many features.

The stability and battery life of BB is about the only thing that I would be desiring, and the stability hasn't been a big deal on my 800w, so maybe I'd be happier staying put.

Planning to get a Tour though to try it out and see how I like it after a week. Maybe back to 800w, but it will be interesting.
    07-20-09 12:01 AM
    I have read somewhere that the WinMo browser experience is richer than BB, but that may have been an old article. I am most interested in the browsing experience because that is 80 percent of what i use it for.

07-20-09 03:03 PM
    Jumbo, I posted on my impressions coming from a long time Palm OS and then Treo 800w WinMo Professional user.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/re...ml#post3204403
    07-29-09 08:46 PM
    I was a long time WM user and the Tour is my first BB. In all it was a great decision. The OS is faster and more stable by a long shot. I thought I would miss the touch screen but as it turns out I can navigate faster with the trackball 90% of the time. Gmail integration is much better. I never could get WM to delete off of gmails servers, its a breeze with the BB.

There are some things I miss. First is Opera Mobile. It is the best mobile browser I have every used, I really miss the tabs the most. Opera Mini for the BB gets the job done though. Second is threaded SMS, it'll get to BB eventually. Lastly is WMwifirouter. Wonderful app that doesn't have a BB equivalent but the Tour doesn't have wifi so its a moot point for me.

Go for it, you won't regret it. If you have any particular questions feel free to PM me.
    07-29-09 09:28 PM
    I migrated from the Q to the curve and love it. Much better battery life and email and attachments are way easier than with WinMo. The unit is lighter, but I think a lot more sophisticated. I'll never go back to WinMo.

07-29-09 10:20 PM
    You will like the blackberry once you get used to it. As with all electronics, there is a learning curve while getting used to navigating the device. Once you are through that period you will not go back
    07-29-09 10:24 PM
    I've used WinMo devices at my store, but not for very long. The first 3 smartphones we carried (that weren't special orders) were the Curve 8310, Palm Centro, and Samsung Blackjack 2. I played with all 3 for about 2 weeks and kept going back to the Curve over and over again. I have always really liked touchscreen devices (the LG Voyager was my last phone before this one), so when Blackberry came out with a touch-interface, I jumped on it.

The Storm OS leaks were already up to .122 when I got mine, so I've liked mine pretty much since the day I got it. It's been fun for me to play around with it and tweak it to get it working the way I want it to.
    07-29-09 10:31 PM
    Before i got my curve i was doing research, almost decided to get a centro because a friend of mine owned one and said it was an amazing phone. Through my research of the OS on both of them i decided the blackberry was a better choice after reading more positive reviews about it then winmo. I think you will be happy in your transition, it took me all of a day to figure the basics, so dont fret, you will be fine.
    07-29-09 10:49 PM
    Jsut remember:
    Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the Question, the answer is "As little as possible"
    07-29-09 10:58 PM
    Nobody has mentioned the multi email accounts on BB, or does winmo now have multi push emails?
    simplicity of BB over WinMo no contest, I've used both and I am an avid windows user..........
    07-30-09 06:06 AM
    I had the Q, and a few different Palms, and I would never go back after switching to BB (started with a Curve, now I have a Storm). Getting your emails pushed to your phone, easy connection to the internet, seamless transitions, a beautiful OS, etc.... BB is the hands-down winner for me.
    07-30-09 06:16 AM
    Windows Mobile phones seem to be more feature rich than blackberries...but you sacrifice ease of use and stability to get those features.
    The biggest thin I miss from my old Windows Mobile device is choice of today Screens. With The Blackberry I have only been able to find 2 choices and neither of them hold a candle to what you can do in the WInMo world.
    But thats just a small quibble compared to all of the benefits of the BB.
    07-30-09 06:25 AM
    I just turned off my Tour after 3 weeks and went back to my Treo 800w (WinMo).

a touchscreen and a great homescreen on the Treo are so useful and efficient compared to the trackball (yes, I learned and used a lot of BB shortcuts). threaded texting and the browser on the Treo are much more efficient and satisfying than on my Tour. the Tour browser looks great, but the load times are awful compared to my 800w (which is the fastest phone I've seen for browsing).

Tour email delivery was great and attachments too, but the Treo allows me to do so much more in all of my applications more efficiently, which I need for work with a lot of travel. Tour battery was impressive, not the forte of 800w. Tour alarm clock was great.

I could stay with the Tour and be happy, but I was frequently frustrated by waiting for something to load on the native browser (and Bolt too), the trackball for text/email editing (it would always jump between lines just when I was getting close to what I wanted to edit), no good home screen options, and slow feel of trackball vs. touchscreen and more dedicated keys on the Treo.

so back on my 800w I'm now browsing a lot of pages quickly, finding text conversations fast, quickly typing on the best phone keyboard anywhere, and enjoying glances at my home screen and LED alerts.

nice phone that Tour...but I wish I could merge the best of it with my Treo.
    dtreo.
    08-15-09 11:56 PM
    It took me a while to get used to the trackball and menu buttons when I moved on from my Treo's. But, I never really got over the loss of the touchscreen + QWERTY keyboard that the Treo has. I miss the touchscreen!

Why not go with the Pre?
    08-16-09 12:10 AM
    hi all! I am a long time Motorola Q WinMo user, but for some reason, the BB's have begun calling out to me. When ever this happens, I will indoubtably cave in and get what calls to me. But I am a tad nervous, I have been on WinMo for so long, I was wondering if you can just tell me a few of the major differences I will notice between the WinMo and the BB. What are some things that one has, but not the other? Are they similar in anyway? Is the BB browser similar at all to Explorer on WinMo? Thanks ~ Kim
    I had the Moto Q as well with "windows OS 5" on it .By now you have probably wished you switched along time ago to the BlackBerry . What a improvement just takes a little while to get use to , and plenty of people willing to help on this forum if you need help .
    Last edited by DavidNC; 08-16-09 at 08:02 AM.
    08-16-09 07:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD