I just got a bb and I really like it but the mapping sucks! My location in gmaps is never avaliable and bb maps has yet to find my location. I have a 8830e from alltel. Any ideas. Could it be that the data service is weak compared to the others? Could the phone be defective?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-08 11:43 AM
    Do you have a BlackBerry data plan?
    04-13-08 11:54 AM
    The only one I've used has been the mapquest... wap version??? Anyways that one day I needed it ... it worked.
    Last edited by chynnamann; 04-13-08 at 01:22 PM.
    04-13-08 01:19 PM
    The reason why the location features in Google Maps and Blackberry maps does not work is because Alltel wants you to buy TeleNav and pay 9.99 a month for it. The GPS is locked down on the phone.

Some folks say it is possible to install TeleNav and activate an account for the first 30 day free trail. Activating the TeleNav trial activates the GPS on the phone. Then, after a few weeks cancel the account and tell them you do not want it. Then, do not delete the TeleNav application from the BB. Supposedly the GPS on the phone stays permanently activated on the phone because the TeleNav application installs the software link to the phone hardware. I have never tried this but this is what has been discussed over and over again on the forums. GPS lock down is a HOT button topic around here.

I personally kept it simple. I picked up a 60 buck GPS receiver hockey puck that is bluetooth enabled and paired it to my phone. That took care of my GPS problems on the BB. It works with all mapping software (Google Maps and Blackberry Maps) and even my laptop.

What ever you decided to do good luck.
    04-13-08 08:37 PM
    That's wack! Why would they advertise a gps enabled phone with locked up gps? I do have a data plan and have great signal but the bb maps gps won't work and even the triangulation is spotty at best. I guess I may get a blue tooth gps. Thanks!

04-15-08 12:11 PM
    Because they are a cell phone company and by their very nature they are wack. I'm pretty sure a crack would form in the universe if they acted decently.
    04-15-08 12:36 PM
    Welcome to CB.
    Call your carrier.
    04-15-08 12:37 PM
    I called and I may need to recall and talk to a more informative dude. The guys only response was, Telenav is the only program that the gps works on. But I did download the telenav and it made bb maps gps work! So I am going to cancel it soon. For Alltel the data downloads run off the cell minutes, so that's got to go. Thanks! Ill post later to say weather the gps works after cancelling telenav.

04-16-08 02:42 PM
    AT&T tried to tell me the same thing when I purchased my 8310. After talking to a few people on here I got mine to work without buying Telenav. I have heard other carriers do actually lock theirs down though. AT&T just tells you its locked down when in reality it isn't.
    04-17-08 07:53 AM
    Had the same issue with my Alltel 8830we, no GPS found. Couldn't hit any satelites. I downloaded the free Nav4all, and my GPS started working immediately.

nav4all.com
    05-15-08 08:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD