What about instead of basing what you buy on what people's opinions are, you buy whatever you want and form your own opinion.

I always wonder why it's so important for others to have the approval of the tech we use from people who won't be spending your hard earned money.

Buy whatever you want and form your own opinion, judgement and what not.

#firstworldproblems

Posted via CB10
    Contrary to what you think, some people can't just buy what they want. Has to buy 1 phone, asking people who may or may not have used said proposed devices about their experiences with it. Same reason you don't go on amazon often to buy items with 0.5 stars on them.

Think about this on amazon : buying a wristwatch

W1: 100$, 4.5 stars
    W2: 20$, 4 stars..

You might actually consider the second watch right?

I am zee that is the 10
    02-04-15 12:28 PM
    Okay. Here we go. You're considering 3 different OSes, then I assume that you're not tied to any ecosystem yet. But seeing from your requirements, and what you're going to use your device for, the BlackBerry 10 is a great choice. Here's why. It has a very, very good browser, and also a very, very good battery life. If playing games is not a priority, and emailing, calling, texting, and web browsing is the bread and butter of your phone usage, look no other (moreover, you use BBM!) than the BlackBerry 10. It is a pleasure to type on any BlackBerry 10 keyboards, even the virtual ones. But I have to say, that you would miss many, many apps out there, if you use only BlackBerry 10. I don't think the app situation is overhyped. It is true. The android apps doesn't run as well as in an Android devices, and the apps in iOS are certainly better designed than in any other OSes.

Now, after I made my case with the BlackBerry 10, and if you're convinced enough to get the BlackBerry 10, the next step is to consider which BlackBerry should you pick? The Passport or the 30?

I'll buy the Passport, if budget is not your problem. Because it is more future proofed than the Z30. But the Z30 is a certainly a great consideration, seeing its price now, and you cannot go wrong with it. It is lighter and more conventional than the Passport. But if you're willing to use something extraordinary, and you have a lion heart, then go and pick the Passport, to know what the hype is all about. :-D Good luck and I hope you got the device that you want!! Have a nice day!
    02-04-15 12:48 PM
    vbdwork - Geez! You made your point (and I think it was a valid one). However, sticking around and answering all the messages directed against you doesn't add anything to what the OP was trying to get opinions on.

If you want to start a thread for the express reason of having CB'ers attack you, do so, but don't hijack this thread.

------------------

To go back to the OP's question: if you liked your Z10, there are upgrade options in BB-land. The Z30 will be the most familiar to you, but is not much of an upgrade when you consider specs (apart from the screen size). The Passport is nice, but if you watch videos on your device at all, it will be lacking. If you text or email a lot, the PKB may be nice to have. Otherwise, the iPhone or the Xperia will be best - as they are great communication devices with the greatest range of apps available natively. I don't know you, so I can't recommend one or the other. All the devices you mentioned will do what you said you use your phone for, but the iPhone/Android phones will allow you to adapt to the greatest range of situations.

And before anyone says 'BB10 devices run android apps' - yes, I know. I have a Passport. But not everything works equally well. The OP may be perfectly happy without the apps that don't run properly, but maybe he wants one app that doesn't.
    vbdwork, stanhanks and stevobbm like this.
    02-04-15 01:49 PM
    Definitely choose between the Z30 and Passport...

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 07:37 PM
    I have a question for those who said z30 - 'best bang for your buck'. If you ordered the phone through work and price was not a consideration at all, would you still do z30 over passport?
    02-04-15 08:21 PM
    Z30 is the best on performance /$ best value you can get assuming you are paying 200-300 for it off contract.

Posted via CB10
    No, the Sony Z Ultra is definitely a much better value.

It has a Snapdragon 800, the same as the Passport, and a new one is roughly the same price (300 USD) off contract. The display is ridiculously oversized at 6.4", though. The camera on the Ultra is pretty bad too, I hear; but, not sure how much that concerns the OP considering his alternatives are Blackberries. The Z Ultra was a huge flop for Sony.

You can also purchase a new LG G2 also with Snapdragon 800 for ~$230 USD. HTC One M7 with Snapdragon 600 is now $150 at BestBuy. Asus Padfone X in new/other condition with Snapdragon 800 is $200 USD off contract. Those are other much much better options if you are squeezed on money.

Unless you're using Crackberry logic that a BB10 device with a Snapdragon S4 outperforms an Android device on a Snapdragon 800 running Android apps and 1080p is a hoax, the Z30 is a really bad spec/price value now. Off contract last gen Android devices are going on major discounts recently.

Ultimately, if the OP is looking for a full touchscreen Blackberry, get a Z30. But, if you're looking for the best bang for your buck, the Z30 isn't it.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 02-04-15 at 08:56 PM.
    vbdwork likes this.
    02-04-15 08:32 PM
    Z30 for sure, has monster battery life!

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 09:43 PM
    No, the Sony Z Ultra is definitely a much better value.

It has a Snapdragon 800, the same as the Passport, and a new one is roughly the same price (300 USD) off contract. The display is ridiculously oversized at 6.4", though. The camera on the Ultra is pretty bad too, I hear; but, not sure how much that concerns the OP considering his alternatives are Blackberries. The Z Ultra was a huge flop for Sony.

You can also purchase a new LG G2 also with Snapdragon 800 for ~$230 USD. HTC One M7 with Snapdragon 600 is now $150 at BestBuy. Asus Padfone X in new/other condition with Snapdragon 800 is $200 USD off contract. Those are other much much better options if you are squeezed on money.

Unless you're using Crackberry logic that a BB10 device with a Snapdragon S4 outperforms an Android device on a Snapdragon 800 running Android apps and 1080p is a hoax, the Z30 is a really bad spec/price value now. Off contract last gen Android devices are going on major discounts recently.

Ultimately, if the OP is looking for a full touchscreen Blackberry, get a Z30. But, if you're looking for the best bang for your buck, the Z30 isn't it.
    Well I just tried to find this $230 LG and found $150 Canadian on contract. The z30 is free on contract.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 11:00 PM
    Actually no. I wouldn't consider option 2 unless I did my own research on it and it showed that it did everything I needed it to do.

Not what everyone else thinks or others opinions.

No one else will be using the things I buy so why would it matter to me what others think about what I just bought?

Whether be it $20 or $200, as long as it's best for me...is what I would buy.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 11:22 PM
    Of course. There is no single thread here on CrackBerry without personal comments about someone. This is a usual last resort hopeless comeback. Unfortunately, it can't change the fact that majority of users switched to other devices and other messenger services. Not counting my business customers, I have about 180 contacts. Years ago about 40 were using BlackBerry devices and BBM. Now in 2015 I have 3 contacts still using BlackBerry and none BBM. Everyone who uses messenger app moved to iMessage, Hangouts and WhatsApp. Surprised?
    But see that's YOU not everyone. I have the same 25 contacts I always chatted with over BBM. Most of them have switched platforms, but still use the app. Maybe the OP also has a healthy contact list.

The OP said he uses BBM. It's not reaching to suggest that he might be happiest with the phone that runs it natively.

Having said that, OP is free to explore. It seems all the phones he's listed will do what he wants them to do. The deciding factor will probably be with what UI he is most comfortable with, removable/ non-removable battery, battery capacity, whether it's waterproof or not, camera quality, price, etc....

The phone needs listed are pretty basic. What is going to be most important to him above those basic features?

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 12:08 AM
    Well I just tried to find this $230 LG and found $150 Canadian on contract. The z30 is free on contract.

Posted via CB10
    Buy from eBay. Unfortunately, the seller increased the price to $270.
    LG G2 Latest Model 32GB GSM Factory Unlocked Smartphone Brand New | eBay

It was widely available for $210 and $250 for a couple of days, though.
    32GB LG G2 5.2" Factory Unlocked Smartphone $209.99 with free shipping *Back Again & $40 Cheaper* 01-26-2015 - Slickdeals.net

There will be a $10 coupon on Feb 6 if you are genuinely interested or you can get a refurb for <$200.
    32GB LG G2 D800 5.2" Android Unlocked Refurb Smartphone Black or White $189.99 + Free Shipping / Potentially $179.99 on Feb 6-8 - Slickdeals.net

The seller has thousands of units of these so you could play the waiting game to see how he adjusts the price.
    02-05-15 12:32 AM
    Avoid the Xperia. You'll be going nuts at the obstacles you have to go through to navigate throughout the phone.

I hated the one I had. I sold it on Ebay after 6 weeks and bought a Z30. Everything is smooth sailing now.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 02:52 AM
    I had a z10 too, and got a note 3 instead of z30.

Trust me sometime down the line you'll miss bb10 because android is a pos os.

Apps are not a problem, you have full google play on blackberry now with cobalt tools.

Full google play store, majority of games beside latesr fps run fine on z30.

I have passport now would say z30 or passport over others. Passport suffers in gaming and video department but w.e

Z10 is not a good showing of bb10 if someone has just a z10 and says negative about bb10 just ignore.

You won't find a z30, passport or classic owner talking sh-t, that's all I can say.
    02-05-15 06:46 AM
    Buy from eBay. Unfortunately, the seller increased the price to $270.
    LG G2 Latest Model 32GB GSM Factory Unlocked Smartphone Brand New | eBay

It was widely available for $210 and $250 for a couple of days, though.
    32GB LG G2 5.2" Factory Unlocked Smartphone $209.99 with free shipping *Back Again & $40 Cheaper* 01-26-2015 - Slickdeals.net

There will be a $10 coupon on Feb 6 if you are genuinely interested or you can get a refurb for <$200.
    32GB LG G2 D800 5.2" Android Unlocked Refurb Smartphone Black or White $189.99 + Free Shipping / Potentially $179.99 on Feb 6-8 - Slickdeals.net

The seller has thousands of units of these so you could play the waiting game to see how he adjusts the price.
    Okay... well I was looking at retail outlets.

Never done ebay. Plus with the new shipping costs and the lower Canadian Dollar, that $270 increases significantly.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 07:03 AM
    To the OP, I own all those phone except the Sony Z Ultra, I do however own the Sony Z3 which is Sony's Flagship. The Passport is the go to phone out of them all(for me)! If you don't value email, messaging and communication like I do, but entertainment and a game or two, I would go for the Sony Z3(never tried the Z Ultra) but even then, my Passport is just as good, if not better in those categories as well. My son, would rather use my PP to play games(Minecraft), than any other phone that I have(and I have a lot of the top Flagships from all the OS's). Wide screen and great speakers can't be beat.
    02-05-15 06:23 PM
    Don't buy Passport!

I don't want any more people who is as cool as me using Passport lol.

Posted via my huge all in one device, Passport!!!
    02-05-15 07:49 PM
    iPhone 6+

BlackBerry doesn't seem interested in retaining average consumers like you and me. BlackBerry for enterprise, Apple for entertainment.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 07:52 PM
    I had a z10 too, and got a note 3 instead of z30.

Trust me sometime down the line you'll miss bb10 because android is a pos os.

Apps are not a problem, you have full google play on blackberry now with cobalt tools.

Full google play store, majority of games beside latesr fps run fine on z30.

I have passport now would say z30 or passport over others. Passport suffers in gaming and video department but w.e

Z10 is not a good showing of bb10 if someone has just a z10 and says negative about bb10 just ignore.

You won't find a z30, passport or classic owner talking sh-t, that's all I can say.
    This is assuming one can find a Z30, Passport and Classic owner. I've yet to see one in the wild LOL
    02-06-15 01:04 AM
    This is assuming one can find a Z30, Passport and Classic owner. I've yet to see one in the wild LOL
    Seen one with Z30 in Indonesia, seen another with Passport in Germany, never seen any Classic.
    02-06-15 03:45 AM
    Because you asked, I suggest you to get a iPhone. Why? Because if you are not sure what phone you should have, then it should not be a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 04:18 AM
    Yes, I know. Everyone on this forum who recommends something with obvious advantages, but not a BlackBerry, is a hater. It's a standard reaction from people who have little or no experience with more advanced mobile devices. Now BlackBerry is recommended for games, most never designed to work on BB10 OS or 1:1 screen. Even 2-years old BlackBerry is better than fastest Android and iOS devices on the market... especially for games. LOL
    What is more "advanced" than a touch-enabled phykey-board... :-)

If 'advanced' means raw ecosystem weight (no mods like Snap, Cobalt, etc. allowed), you have a point... :-D

�   Telstra + Classic, Optus + PP, AT&T + PP , Verizon + Classic... why the mix, Mr. Fix?   �
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    02-06-15 06:07 AM
    Because you asked, I suggest you to get a iPhone. Why? Because if you are not sure what phone you should have, then it should not be a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Fantastic logic. If you don't know what phone that you want, then of course buy the most expensive one on the market.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 06:49 AM
    I'm trying to decide between Passport and Z30. I thought I was all set on Passport but now I'm not sure. I have to have this phone 2 years minimum, not sure if the large design will get old and I'll want someting slimmer. I dunno what to do. :P
    02-07-15 09:00 PM
    Any of them would work. You don't use your phone for anything that is platform specific so it doesn't really matter. You'll get better battery life out of the 6+ over the Z30 and you'll more app options with Android or iOS, but you'll get a richer BBM with the Z30.
    02-07-15 09:41 PM
    Any of them would work. You don't use your phone for anything that is platform specific so it doesn't really matter. You'll get better battery life out of the 6+ over the Z30 and you'll more app options with Android or iOS, but you'll get a richer BBM with the Z30.
    Tbf the battery life is iffy as many report having similar battery life with z30 as passport due to the difference in screen...

I am zee that is the 10
    02-07-15 11:08 PM
106 12345