I have the regular googl maps on my BB, but need to get a GPS function on there for my travel to boston this weekend. Would like something that is monthly...so I can cancle it when I don't need it....my carrier is Alltel and I have WE Blackberry. Can anyone suggest?
    10-02-08 11:24 AM
    According to Alltel users, the internal GPS in an Alltel 8830 is not disabled. You simply have to subscribe to, download, and use their TeleNav program once to activate the internal GPS. You can then cancel the service and continue to use the internal GPS with 3rd party software. Of course, you might find the TeleNav software to be exactly what you need and decide to keep your subscription.
    10-02-08 12:20 PM
    thanks, that is what I was planning on doing...loading the telenav but wanted to make sure there wasn't something better first.
    thanks again.Brooke
    10-02-08 01:19 PM
    any idea when minutes are being used....I have unlimited web access and that doesn't use minutes...but somewhere i read on telenav's site that minutes may be used while downloading maps, POI and directions....do you know if that only occurs initially accessing the map or if you are continually using it down on the street..minutes are ticking away...need to understand!
    10-02-08 02:12 PM
    Google Maps, BBMaps, TeleNav, all mapping apps (except TrekBuddy) use your data plan to continuously download maps as you move and the GPS updates your location. I don't know how that would use minutes. If you can find and post the specific wording from the TeleNav site, perhaps someone can figure it out.
    10-02-08 02:51 PM
    before i had a BB i had a hue. I subscribe to web access through Alltel. If i used Telenav on a non weekend or before 9pm, it would use my minutes. I think minute use is for non data planes.
    10-02-08 06:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD