So I am at a crossroads...I am a newer BB user. Got my first device (8530) just this past January and I was stoked. Joined CB started posting and learning about the device but from the start there were red flags. First the "battery pull" I understand that these devices may freeze or crash from time to time but the fact that this is so readily accepted by users sickened me (and I am not an app *****). We pay alot of money for these phones and that is unacceptable. Soon after my purchase I discovered that the device's technology is stuck in the stone age compared to the android and apples of the time. Now I learn that a new operating system is available BUT not for my phone that is less than a year old!! This was just the nail in the coffin.

However, the reason I am writing is not to bash BB because obviously there are alot of users out there. I do love the look of the phone and LOVE the keyboard! When the device is working properly I am very pleased but all I use my phone for is web surfing, texting/calling friends and family and watching videos or playing games and it seems that is BB's weakest features.

I have had the phone since late January but I am ready to jump ship to an Android, is there any reason not to?
    09-06-10 03:35 PM
    sounds to me like you will be happier moving away from BB. good luck.
    09-06-10 03:37 PM
    Don't think Blackberry is for you. Should have maybe done some research prior to buying a new smartphone. If playing games, watching videos, and web surfing is most important to you then you chose the wrong phone.
    09-06-10 03:41 PM
    Don't think Blackberry is for you. Should have maybe done some research prior to buying a new smartphone. If playing games, watching videos, and web surfing is most important to you then you chose the wrong phone.
    Thanks for the honesty.

Also it was my first jump into a smart phone so I didn't know what I was into until now. However, I still don't understand why anyone keeps a BB (unless your work pays for it) for all the headaches they cause.
    09-06-10 03:47 PM
    Yep, might as well get an Android. I hear they are issue free.
    Good luck with your new phone
    09-06-10 03:47 PM
    Yep, might as well get an Android. I hear they are issue free.
    Good luck with your new phone
    Sense your sarcasm...
    09-06-10 03:50 PM
    First the "battery pull" I understand that these devices may freeze or crash from time to time but the fact that this is so readily accepted by users sickened me ...
    Just so you know, the advise to restart your BlackBerry by pulling the battery should only apply when an application has clearly failed to function. The vast majority of the time, pulling the battery does nothing but waste your time. Unfortunatly, the Battery Pull has become part of BlackBerry folklore.

Many of us go weeks at a time. The built in memory management takes care of recovering memory very well when given a chance.

I can appreciate you frustration with being left out of OS6, but your "new to you" BlackBerry is actually a 3 years old design. That is usually offset by large carrier subsidy for the lower tier models.

09-06-10 05:51 PM
    So I am at a crossroads...I am a newer BB user. Got my first device (8530) just this past January and I was stoked. Joined CB started posting and learning about the device but from the start there were red flags. First the "battery pull" I understand that these devices may freeze or crash from time to time but the fact that this is so readily accepted by users sickened me (and I am not an app *****). We pay alot of money for these phones and that is unacceptable. Soon after my purchase I discovered that the device's technology is stuck in the stone age compared to the android and apples of the time. Now I learn that a new operating system is available BUT not for my phone that is less than a year old!! This was just the nail in the coffin.

However, the reason I am writing is not to bash BB because obviously there are alot of users out there. I do love the look of the phone and LOVE the keyboard! When the device is working properly I am very pleased but all I use my phone for is web surfing, texting/calling friends and family and watching videos or playing games and it seems that is BB's weakest features.

I have had the phone since late January but I am ready to jump ship to an Android, is there any reason not to?
    I also believe an Android phone would better suit your needs. The good thing is we have choices. My family has Android phones, Blackberry phones and Windows Mobile phones. We each chose a phone based on our individual needs. A Blackberry phone fits my needs. I use it mainly for phone calls, e-mail, text and managing my schedule. I haven't had any problems with my phone so far. Which Android phone do you like?
    09-06-10 06:39 PM
    Just so you know, the advise to restart your BlackBerry by pulling the battery should only apply when an application has clearly failed to function. The vast majority of the time, pulling the battery does nothing but waste your time. Unfortunatly, the Battery Pull has become part of BlackBerry folklore.

Many of us go weeks at a time. The built in memory management takes care of recovering memory very well when given a chance.

I can appreciate you frustration with being left out of OS6, but your "new to you" BlackBerry is actually a 3 years old design. That is usually offset by large carrier subsidy for the lower tier models.

Thanks for the info about battery pulls, and I appreciate your point regarding the old design of the Curve I would have never been aware of it.
    09-06-10 06:56 PM
    I also believe an Android phone would better suit your needs. The good thing is we have choices. My family has Android phones, Blackberry phones and Windows Mobile phones. We each chose a phone based on our individual needs. A Blackberry phone fits my needs. I use it mainly for phone calls, e-mail, text and managing my schedule. I haven't had any problems with my phone so far. Which Android phone do you like?
    I am currently debating between DX or D2, however the new Samsung is being released 9/9.

I really like the look and and feel of my BB just it just seems RIM isn't trying. I would love to see them adopt the Android OS and focus and developing a phone that compares to the high end phones currently on the market. Something with a nice screen res and processor.
    09-06-10 07:00 PM
    I am currently debating between DX or D2, however the new Samsung is being released 9/9.

I really like the look and and feel of my BB just it just seems RIM isn't trying. I would love to see them adopt the Android OS and focus and developing a phone that compares to the high end phones currently on the market. Something with a nice screen res and processor.
    The Samsung is a nice phone. We have the Sprint Samsung Epic (Android).

IMHO I don't think adopting the Android OS is a priority for RIM. They just launched the Torch 9800. I hope you find a phone that may be a better fit for you.
    09-06-10 07:41 PM
    IMHO I don't think adopting the Android OS is a priority for RIM. They just launched the Torch 9800. I hope you find a phone that may be a better fit for you.
    I know it's not RIM's priority, I just wish it was! Thanks for the helpful posts, I figured I was going to get bashed pretty hard with this post.
    09-06-10 07:47 PM
    I know it's not RIM's priority, I just wish it was! Thanks for the helpful posts, I figured I was going to get bashed pretty hard with this post.
    Why would RIM want to adapt Androids OS? I mean I know they need to work on their os but it would make no sense what so ever to adopt Android's os? IMO the hardware, processor and all the stuff is what makes androids so nice, not the os. Too many steps to do the simple things on androids os.
    09-06-10 08:04 PM
    Well I have been test driving the DX since last thursday, I must say this is an amazing phone so far very please.
    09-15-10 07:06 PM
    If I had your needs I also would consider a droid...nice device. I've been a BB owner for two years and the fact that I own a business and do a lot of messaging each day keeps me married to RIM. Other devices just don't match up in this area IMO.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-10 08:34 PM
    Android should meet all your needs nicely. And the best thing is...you can still be a part of the CB nation. Hop on over to the Android section we have, and you will find many of the same helpful, friendly, former BB users in there who will help ease your transition. I've been to Android Central and TiPB both, and nothing seems to compare with the level of help one receives right here.

Anyways enjoy your new device! Whichever one you do choose (the choosing is half the fun
    09-15-10 08:54 PM
    Android should meet all your needs nicely. And the best thing is...you can still be a part of the CB nation. Hop on over to the Android section we have, and you will find many of the same helpful, friendly, former BB users in there who will help ease your transition. I've been to Android Central and TiPB both, and nothing seems to compare with the level of help one receives right here.

Anyways enjoy your new device! Whichever one you do choose (the choosing is half the fun
    Thanks for the tip, heading to the Android forum now!
    09-15-10 09:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD