Hello everybody,

I just got an unlocked Blackberry Bold from StarHub Singapore while I am from Brunei and I was wondering if it's possible for me to use BIS for my Blackberry Bold. Is it possible if I set up BIS for myself? How about Blackberry Unite? Can I use that instead and add my friends who is using a Blackberry?
    09-27-08 01:05 PM
    Well by setting up a data plan that should enable you to use BIS anyway.
    Whats BB Unite?
    09-27-08 01:18 PM
    I have a data plan already but I'm not sure if I can get BIS from them because I've ask them before and they don't even know anything blackberry-related. I read from the website that Unite! is a free software from RIM which seems to be similar to BIS but when I tried it with my 7290, i can only use the browser when I'm connected to the PC which has it installed.

I really want to have a personal BIS for my friends and I. Is it possible?
    09-27-08 01:28 PM
    I have a data plan already but I'm not sure if I can get BIS from them because I've ask them before and they don't even know anything blackberry-related.
    Your BB data plan provider doesn't know anything BB related? Huh? No idea then, sorry.
    09-27-08 01:32 PM
    I have a data plan already but I'm not sure if I can get BIS from them because I've ask them before and they don't even know anything blackberry-related. I read from the website that Unite! is a free software from RIM which seems to be similar to BIS but when I tried it with my 7290, i can only use the browser when I'm connected to the PC which has it installed.

I really want to have a personal BIS for my friends and I. Is it possible?
    What kind of data plan do you have?
    09-27-08 01:37 PM
    I have an unlimited data plan which comes with my account. And they're not really a BB provider, just an ordinary service provider.
    09-27-08 01:52 PM
    So your data provider doesn't support BB plans? Any way you can choose a different provider than?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-08 02:34 PM
    Hello everybody,

I just got an unlocked Blackberry Bold from StarHub Singapore while I am from Brunei and I was wondering if it's possible for me to use BIS for my Blackberry Bold. Is it possible if I set up BIS for myself? How about Blackberry Unite? Can I use that instead and add my friends who is using a Blackberry?
    In simple terms I think your idea will not work because the Brunei cellular providers do not support BlackBerry. Sorry about that. Logic below.

To get the advantages of BlackBerry you need provission of either BIS or BES service on your phone account. Without one or the other you have a very smart looking cellular, but it is pretty much a dumb phone. Whichever way you go it has to be supported by your cellular provider.

A quick Google search failed to find any BB support from Brunei based cellular providers. Unless Google has let us down is Very Bad News for you, because you really need BlackBerry support from your home provider for either BIS or BES access. Otherwise you might be able to base your account with a foreign provider (Singapore?) but you would always be roaming at high cost in Brunei.

BIS is designed for use by cellular providers, with the assumption the operator will have all the necessary services and support available. The design supports thousands of users so license fees will probably be excessive for a small number of friends.

BES is designed for tens or hundreds of users so it would be a better choice if you had cellular carrier support.

From a practical point of view you will not be able to host your own BIS unless you setup a cellular company. This is probably not a realistic option, but that is the market where RIM supplies BIS software and access. You would have a better chance to operate your own BES server, but this would still require you to have BlackBerry support from a cellular provider - and I don't think it exists in Brunei.
    09-27-08 02:57 PM
    That's really bad. Well it's ok I guess. Its only a handful of us which uses Blackberry here. There's only two cellular service providers here and I think neither of them support Blackberry. Anyway thanks for the information.
    09-27-08 08:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD