I have a BlackBerry Q10 and am planning on getting the DTEK50 or possibly the DTEK60 when it comes out.

Does anyone know the easiest way to back up everything? (ie. Contacts, photos, text messages, videos etc)

Posted via CB10
    10-22-16 02:06 PM
    When it comes to contacts, you need to consider that you may have contacts associated with multiple accounts in BB10 (local, Google, Outlook, etc) so open the contacts app and look at each account separately to see what you have. The simplest way is just copy all your contacts to one account (in the Contacts app) and back them up a Cloud account.

You can backup all your contacts to your SIM card, but the Q10 uses a micro SIM and the DTEKs have a nano SIM. You can also use the free ContactsImEx from BlackBery World to make either a .VCF or .CSV file backup. I believe Ultimate Backup ($3.99) will backup SMS/MMS messages. The issue with these methods is figuring out how to get them into your DTEK.

For my DTEK50, I copied and backed up all my contacts to Outlook.com. I didn't bother with backing up text messages, I just started over again. One important thing to note is that unlike BB10 the first (or oldest) Hub account becomes your default contacts account for new contacts created on your phone.

Also if you want to use the Hub for all your accounts and notifications, make sure that is where your enter all your accounts, and don't get fooled into setting them up in Gmail (which you will probably be prompted to do more than once.)

The google news is that by default Google will backup everything for you to Google Drive for free, so that setting up your next Android phone will be easy.
    10-22-16 03:59 PM
    When it comes to contacts, you need to consider that you may have contacts associated with multiple accounts in BB10 (local, Google, Outlook, etc) so open the contacts app and look at each account separately to see what you have. The simplest way is just copy all your contacts to one account (in the Contacts app) and back them up a Cloud account.

You can backup all your contacts to your SIM card, but the Q10 uses a micro SIM and the DTEKs have a nano SIM. You can also use the free ContactsImEx from BlackBery World to make either a .VCF or .CSV file backup. I believe Ultimate Backup ($3.99) will backup SMS/MMS messages. The issue with these methods is figuring out how to get them into your DTEK.

For my DTEK50, I copied and backed up all my contacts to Outlook.com. I didn't bother with backing up text messages, I just started over again. One important thing to note is that unlike BB10 the first (or oldest) Hub account becomes your default contacts account for new contacts created on your phone.

Also if you want to use the Hub for all your accounts and notifications, make sure that is where your enter all your accounts, and don't get fooled into setting them up in Gmail (which you will probably be prompted to do more than once.)

The google news is that by default Google will backup everything for you to Google Drive for free, so that setting up your next Android phone will be easy.
    Thanks for the help

Posted via CB10
    10-23-16 09:08 AM
    You're welcome. You should also be able to transfer contacts from one device to another using Bluetooth.
    10-23-16 10:12 AM
    There's an app on the play store called Content Transfer that moves everything from bb10 devices
    10-23-16 12:06 PM
    There's an app on the play store called Content Transfer that moves everything from bb10 devices
    I had thought that BlackBerry Content Transfer only went from Android to BB10, but I see it works both ways: Content Transfer - Canada
    10-23-16 12:13 PM
    Use firechest to back your files up to dropbox and then download them back to your computer or new device.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-16 09:54 PM
    I had thought that BlackBerry Content Transfer only went from Android to BB10, but I see it works both ways: Content Transfer - Canada
    I haven't tried it yet. I will once I get my Dtek60 and switch from a z10. Will report back here for results.
    10-26-16 09:41 AM